Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Hot Rod Power Tour 2016

Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 PM
Flivver61
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Thinking of going to Baytown and Austin. Does anyone know if 1/4 mile passes at Baytown and laps at Circuit of the Americas are included in the registration?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:57 AM
JBRUSS
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Flivver61
Thinking of going to Baytown and Austin. Does anyone know if 1/4 mile passes at Baytown and laps at Circuit of the Americas are included in the registration?
The best event to do Laps at the Circuit of Americas track is in July. It's called Corvettes Invade the Oasis. I went last year and had a blast, never saw so many Corvettes in one place. One day is the car show and the next is the Track day. www.corvetteinvasion.com

Last edited by JBRUSS; 06-01-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:16 AM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Looks like 1/4 mile Fun Runs in Baytown and Autocross at COTA. More details below...

https://www.raceit.com/images/imageb...NTS_May_30.pdf

https://www.raceit.com/images/imageb...nt_Details.pdf
Old 06-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Flivver61
Racer

Thanks guys! If we have decent weather then I will be going, not too crazy about driving street slicks on wet roads. I will definitely be looking into that corvette invasion.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:24 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Latest version of route. From an email that I received:

We have received several emails regarding the Houston area and the Monday morning commute traffic. Since majority will be leaving direct from their hotel, the best suggestion is to definitely look at a map and work on a route from the hotel over to US-290W. Sam Houston Tollway (south loop) is an alternate option but will still have some Monday morning commuters. Probably not as much as I-10 or I-610 but just be aware and have change/cash.

The other main changes were:

- OKC to Wichita - 81 North closed south of Haysville KS. We spoke to the KS Turnpike Authority and we put their suggestion on the route. An alternate is in red if you do not want to jump on I35N Toll.

- Wichita to Kansas Speedway - Exit from I35N to I435N is closed. Changed the route to continue on 56E to Lone Elm Rd N (KS-7N) up to KS-10 back to I-435N. Kansas Speedway requested we come in off 435 so we did not change that part of the directions.

We also have received numerous emails regarding the weather and if it will affect the event. Hot Rod Power tour is a rain or shine event. We will be at each venue ready for the participants/spectators all seven days. When driving the route between cities, participants should use their better judgment and if you feel the route is not the best bet on that day due to inclement weather, please feel free to choose an alternate route or jump on the freeway. The route is not a requirement of the event. If we become aware of road closures along the route due to flooding, announcements will be made from the main stage.

For newly registered participants: see links for the Event Details and Event Schedule below.

Our mantra: No Rain on Power Tour!

https://www.raceit.com/images/imageb...2-MAY_28-1.pdf
Old 06-02-2016, 06:53 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Just received this answer to your COTA question via email:

Circuit of the Americas is the premier destination for world-class motorsports and entertainment and the only purpose-built Formula One racetrack in the United States. Set on 1,500 acres in the rolling hills just outside downtown Austin, Circuit of the Americas has hosted the biggest names in racing, action sports and music since 2012.

On Monday, June 13th, Circuit of the Americas is providing two different “once in a lifetime” opportunities for our 2016 Hot Rod Power Tour participants.

COTA Parade Lap

Want to drive your personal vehicle on the same racetrack that has seen numerous Formula 1 racing greats including current F1 points leaders Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton, Daniel Ricciardo, Sebastian Vettel and countless others? Here’s your chance to drive in a lead-follow lap around the 3.41 mile, 20-turn track that is home to the United States Grand Prix.

Circuit of The Americas Parade Lap

3:00pm Monday, June 13th 2016

$50 per vehicle

To pre-register for your COTA Parade Lap please follow the link below.

https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/cot...tails/16HOTROD

Onsite registration

Open from 12pm-2:30pm at the Main Grandstand ticket office in Lot A. Must bring ticket, photo ID, and proof of insurance. Drivers and passengers must sign a liability waiver before receiving a participant wristband.

Tower Observation Deck

See the world from a new perspective. Take a trip to the top of the 25-story Observation Tower and experience breath-taking views of the circuit, the Central Texas countryside and the Austin skyline. It’s something that shouldn’t be missed.

Tickets for purchase at the base of the Tower elevator

$15 (Adults)

$10 (Kids, military, seniors)

Last edited by KemahGT; 06-02-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:22 AM
OldToys
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Any idea of how the rain is effecting the route?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 AM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldToys
Any idea of how the rain is effecting the route?
Too early to tell at this point. I-10 on the TX-LA border was shut down a while back because of major flooding on the Sabine river. I think it is OK right now.

If we can get a break this coming week it should be a go. We've got a room booked in New Orleans at the start and will be going rain or shine. We'll Jeep it if necessary.

Some of the participants are hardcore cruisers. Some probably have a set of rain tires to swap for drag radials.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:35 AM
Flivver61
Racer

Parade lap for $50 does not sound like "autocross" from the power tour brochure, certainly not as exciting.
Any idea if there are requirements like helmet, long pants, etc? Hate to get all the way there and not be able to participate. Can we take a passenger?
sorry for all the questions, never done this but would like to start participating in these type of events
Old 06-06-2016, 11:43 PM
Lapond
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We are jumping in at Gonzales and coming back from Grand Prairie. Looking forward to this weekend.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

Looks like rain is in the forecast for Baytown.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Bullitt5094
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in from Gonzales to Austin. I have an NHRA License and have another 9 second car, but I'm looking forward to making passes with the new Z at Baytown for the first time. Guess it's time to read the book on how to facilitate the launch control!
Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 AM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

Hanging out with some of my friends on the Power Tour. Joined in Baytown as planned with lots of rain and then stayed through Grand Prairie. Back home now and going to work, suck. Would rather be on the tour still. Oh well got the pay the bills.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:34 AM
JBRUSS
Pro

<br > <br > <br > <br >
Old 06-15-2016, 12:14 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bullitt5094
I'm looking forward to making passes with the new Z at Baytown for the first time. Guess it's time to read the book on how to facilitate the launch control!
How'd you do? I was able to get a 12.188 @ 117.66 on my first and only run in my Z51. Track mode with T/C left on. Not great but there were too many folks to try and get any more runs in. I hope to go in better conditions to try and get in the 11's @ 120ish. We just got off the road from a hot day drive from New Orleans, Probably thoroughly heat soaked at the time.

There were many people on the side of the road waving and having a good time on the drive from Gonzales. I'm thinking about 1500 cars made it to Baytown. When we left around 4PM there were still lots of vehicles rolling in.

A good time had by all!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:01 PM
JBRUSS
Pro

Few more from Dallas <br > <br > <br > <br > <br >
Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM
JBRUSS
Pro

<br > <br > <br >

Search this Thread