Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 PM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

I am looking to meet local Corvette enthusiasts who would like to meet weekly or would like to participate in performance driving events. I am aware that El Paso has a Corvette Club, but it's more geared towards car shows, plus they don't meet very often.

I have been going to EP Motorplex (1/4 mile), autocross events, and once to Arroyo Seco Raceway, but haven't seen many Corvettes in action. I have met some of the local guys from Camaro5.com and EP Fbody, plus some of the Mustang guys who like to come to the dragstrip/autocross a lot more often.

Hopefully we can get a big enough group that we can have get-togethers, do tech-days, cruises, etc.

I have a 2002 Z06 with 28k miles. All stock, but that's about to change very soon with some long tube headers waiting to get installed.

Last edited by hxrly; 03-09-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Greetings! I am local and if I had my Vette here, I would love to join in the fun. Your second photo, is that taken on the Trans Mountain?

I may bring my Vette back in one or two weeks. Weather permitting here.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 PM
hxrly
Racer

Yeah, that was at Transmountain waiting for the Camaro5 group coming from Las Cruces. We cruised to Catleman's that weekend and had a bunch of people come out.

I look forward to meeting you and other Corvette owners in the area.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Fastlsvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh i know you i used to have the white z28 sold it go the vette
Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 AM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by Fastlsvette
Oh i know you i used to have the white z28 sold it go the vette
Nice! I will be taking mine to Texas Speed soon for a tune.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 AM
hxrly
Racer

Here's a video from when I went to Arroyo Seco Raceway (ASR) in New Mexico. It was a new Camaro SS, a couple of track ready cars and myself. We had the whole track to ourselves the whole day for just $80. Can't beat that price!

My goal is to get better tires, upgrade the braking system, and do as much seat time as possible. I'm also going to need seats soon; I swear I got out of there with my knees in pain from bracing myself.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Fastlsvette
Racer

Originally Posted by hxrly
Nice! I will be taking mine to Texas Speed soon for a tune.
Get some good bolt ons before you tune it
Old 03-10-2013, 02:42 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Here's a video from when I went to Arroyo Seco Raceway (ASR) in New Mexico. It was a new Camaro SS, a couple of track ready cars and myself. We had the whole track to ourselves the whole day for just $80. Can't beat that price!

My goal is to get better tires, upgrade the braking system, and do as much seat time as possible. I'm also going to need seats soon; I swear I got out of there with my knees in pain from bracing myself.
$80 for an all day run? You can't beat that! Nice video but wow, that audio is horrible. Is that a GO PRO? I am in the market for a new race camera for the inside of my car. My older one is a Panasonic PV-GS400, and uses the old Mini DV tapes. Time to change out! Got my eyes on a newer High Definition SD Camera that records up to 11 hours.

How long is the track in NM? (How long in distance and normal time lapping)?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I will be there first week of April.

Uncle Sam is sending me there. I'll be bringing my '03 Z06 with bolt ons.

Tech days would be awesome. First thing I will probably do is get some new tires/wheels. Thinking TSW's.

I'm going to up the power some, not sure if I'm going to do heads/cam or just say eff it and bolt on a blower.

Looking forward to meeting you guys if work doesn't run me into the ground. I don't even know what my job/position will be yet so my work load is depend mostly on what that is.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Edmond

Tech days would be awesome. First thing I will probably do is get some new tires/wheels. Thinking TSW's.

I'm going to up the power some, not sure if I'm going to do heads/cam or just say eff it and bolt on a blower.

Looking forward to meeting you guys if work doesn't run me into the ground. I don't even know what my job/position will be yet so my work load is depend mostly on what that is.
What is your background? Are you coming to the CAB? Hope to meet you soon.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
What is your background? Are you coming to the CAB? Hope to meet you soon.
I just know I'm going to 3rd BDE, 1 AD. That's all I know. I need to e-mail the BDE CDR and find out what my position will be.

I'm FA.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
hxrly
Racer

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
$80 for an all day run? You can't beat that! Nice video but wow, that audio is horrible. Is that a GO PRO? I am in the market for a new race camera for the inside of my car. My older one is a Panasonic PV-GS400, and uses the old Mini DV tapes. Time to change out! Got my eyes on a newer High Definition SD Camera that records up to 11 hours.

How long is the track in NM? (How long in distance and normal time lapping)?
The camera is the GoPro 2. I am currently looking into getting a mic set-up so I can sync it with the video.

The track is only a 1.4 mile, 14 turns, but they run it both clock-wise and counter clock-wise, depending on the date. I think I was doing 1:24, but I wasn't trying to break any records. I had to be super smooth because of the street tires (Continental DWs) would break loose very easily.

Get some good bolt ons before you tune it
It will just be the headers and a better air filter for now. Hoping to see another 25 whp with a good tune.

Originally Posted by Edmond

Awesome! I get with some of the local Miata guys and we have done tech-days more than once. Anything from brake fluid flush to installing full suspension. We usually do a small BBQ right outside the garage and everybody lends a hand.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Awesome! I get with some of the local Miata guys and we have done tech-days more than once. Anything from brake fluid flush to installing full suspension. We usually do a small BBQ right outside the garage and everybody lends a hand.
I'm definitely down for that, even if I gotta be the grill guy.

I can hook guys up with great Amsoil pricing if anyone wants it.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 PM
hxrly
Racer

Definitely down for the Amsoil, need to change the diff fluid soon. I have a Stage V RPM t-56 in mine but if I'm not mistaken RPM recommended Redline oil, will have to find the e-mail.

I was checking out the ASR website and they have a tentative date of March 23 for their Superlap; I think that's the $80 a day one. I'm looking forward to attending that one! Need to order to DOT4 brake fluid and install the ceramic pads, but I'm still going to be rocking the street tires and stock alignment.

Check out their schedule:

http://www.arroyosecoraceway.com/Schedule2011.html
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I need to change the oil, differential and trans fluid in my '03 Z. I'm still in Oklahoma and debating whether I should do it here or wait until I get to El Paso.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM
hxrly
Racer

You're welcome to bring it to my garage when you get here. I flushed all the fluids (Amsoil) Jan '12 when I bought mine. I have the small hand pumps to attach to the oil bottles.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

You're welcome to bring it to my garage when you get here. I flushed all the fluids (Amsoil) Jan '12 when I bought mine. I have the small hand pumps to attach to the oil bottles.
Cool!

Last time when I did it, I think I used a baster....

It took a while.

Get notified of new replies

To El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Fastlsvette
Racer

You have a garage? Also what do you think of a mail in order tune? Thinking of ECS tunning?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Also what do you think of a mail in order tune? Thinking of ECS tunning?
How many mods do you have done to your car?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 PM
hxrly
Racer

You have a garage? Also what do you think of a mail in order tune? Thinking of ECS tunning?
Got the garage and most tools we need. I will be installing the headers on jack stands since I plan to take my time and do it right the first time.

Most people will be happy with the mail order tune, but I want to get the most out of it because I won't be buying any power-adders for a while. I also want to get the final numbers from the dyno. Here's my dyno sheet from Hawaii, supposedly all stock (at sea level):

Quick Reply: El Paso / Las Cruces Area Thread