Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Planning a trip to Big Bend and Terlingua Tx in a C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:24 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Planning a trip to Big Bend and Terlingua Tx in a C5

We recently picked up a low mileage 01 Vert and decided to go on a road trip. We've never been to Big Bend and (before I started any research) decided that would be a fun trip from Dallas. We will be spending a couple nights in Terlingua and drive around in Big Bend while there.

I'll be honest, after I did a lot of research and make final plans on where we will be staying I'm having 2nd thoughts about taking the Vette.

We've taken the 01 out on a 100 mile "shakedown" trip with no issues and I'm going to have her serviced and safety checked (once again) before the trip but I'd like opinions and comments from anyone that has taken their Vette to that area.

Questions I have include, are the main roads through Terlingua "safe" for a C5? Would driving a Vette through that area be advertising for trouble?

Comments welcome. We are leaving next month.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:33 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Terlingua is a cool place. Roads are good. You also want to see Lajitas and the River Road that goes to Presidio is a fun drive. The Lodge in the Basin at Big Bend National Park is a nice place to stay if you can get in and a good place to eat breakfast.

Another cool place in the same general area is Davis Mountains State Park. There is a place there called Indian Lodge, built in the '30 by CCC, thick adobe walls, some room with original hand built furniture from local cedar. Nearby is McDonald Observatory. They have a public viewing night once a month that is free but requires tickets. On public viewing night you can look through the 108" telescope if the night is clear.
The following users liked this post:
TexasYankee (05-22-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 08:27 AM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

I appreciate the reply and the suggestions. My wife and I enjoy getting off the beaten path and Terlingua seemed like a natural place to stay.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:39 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Not much in the way of accomadations in Terlingua but there is a resort in Lajitis.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:36 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Alpine is a nice stay over as well. Only issue you might encounter is it's going to be extremely hot in July!!
Old 06-15-2017, 03:55 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Our trip was a blast. Weather cooperated and was perfect for a Convertible. Terlingua was great and unique. So much fun! The C5 performed perfectly and loved the wide open roads.

Last edited by TexasYankee; 06-15-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Hammer71402
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Road trips in vettes are the best. Bought my C6 in May and drove it to San Francisco from Houston. Not one single problem. In August I'm going to Tale Of The Dragon and Bowling Green. My vette is gonna be well used, but not abused

Get notified of new replies

To Planning a trip to Big Bend and Terlingua Tx in a C5

Quick Reply: Planning a trip to Big Bend and Terlingua Tx in a C5