Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

A8 TC issue dealer recommendation for Houston

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:38 AM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts
Default A8 TC issue dealer recommendation for Houston

Ok, before you flame me, I know that this should be in the regional section. However, I'm pretty sure most C7 folks on this forum rarely if ever scroll down that far.

I'm looking for a good reliable service department with experience in the V4 floating RPM issue and other TC and tranny problems. I live near Houston but do not trust my local dealer for something as simple as an oil change. I am not experiencing shudder and only want a flush at this time. It is under warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:32 AM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Check with Strickland in Pearland - should be fairly close to you. Only dealt with them for an oil change & some minor tech/infotainment issue but was impressed (which, compared to most other dealers, doesn't take much these days). I plan on using them again, even though my club gets discounts at another dealer.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Spinny
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DMGroh
Check with Strickland in Pearland - should be fairly close to you. Only dealt with them for an oil change & some minor tech/infotainment issue but was impressed (which, compared to most other dealers, doesn't take much these days). I plan on using them again, even though my club gets discounts at another dealer.
Don't know of any in Houston, but I have had outstanding service from Hewlett Chevrolet in Georgetown, TX. They are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They worked with me on the TC problem in my '15 C7 and ultimately replaced the TC. They will give you a loaner while your car is being repaired. Georgetown is about 20 miles north of Austin. The service person to see is Mari Houston, the best with whom I have ever worked.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DMGroh
Thanks, I have heard good things about Strickland but I'm really looking for actual A8 experience. I'll keep em in mind.

Originally Posted by Spinny
Don't know of any in Houston, but I have had outstanding service from Hewlett Chevrolet in Georgetown, TX. They are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They worked with me on the TC problem in my '15 C7 and ultimately replaced the TC. They will give you a loaner while your car is being repaired. Georgetown is about 20 miles north of Austin. The service person to see is Mari Houston, the best with whom I have ever worked.
A little far for service but they will remain on my list. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:25 PM
rogue3standingby
Pro

Received 553 Likes on 222 Posts

Munday Chevy on 45 near 1960 is no stranger to the TC issues.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:17 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rogue3standingby
Thanks! I'll check them out.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:12 PM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Might try Frank's Vettes in Spring.

He seems pretty knowledgeable on prior gens, just dont know how much he does on C7's

***NVM you are looking for a dealership, not 3rd party.

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 06-26-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:17 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Thanks, but right now I'm trying to get warranty to foot the bill.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:54 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Default Into the shop for a TC swap

Thanks to all that responded but I decided to use the friends and family method. I knew my brother had bought many Chevys over the years from his local dealer. That dealer turns out to be Buckalew Chevrolet in Conroe TX. I called my lil bro and he happened to be in the process of buying a couple of new cars and told him my issue. He said he knew the owner and would get back to me.

The owner of the dealership told my brother that he had the best transmission guy in the area. 23 years (I believe) at this dealer and a valued employee. Brian "Hoopty" would be my guy.

I made an appointment with Rick the Service Advisor and explained my issue. An approximate 100 rpm drift in Auto and V4 mode with cruise on a level road at 50 mph. Switch to Manual and it's got a rock solid tach. Also, I told him of a slight whistle or chirping sound when easing on the throttle in V4 mode until it switches to V8 mode when the sound disappears.

I brought it in Monday afternoon, met "Hoopty", and explained my problem. He said it sounded like the shudder issue. Since it was late I left the car and they sent me on my way in a loaner.

Yesterday Hoopty and his sidekick took my car for a spin. With his laptop and software he determined that there was indeed torque converter slip values out of desired range as well as some sort of exhaust valve code. (This is from my brother, he's not much of a gear head. I haven't had a talk with Rick or Hoopty directly).

Hoopty has the TC coming and is trying to diagnose the exhaust chirping right now. I'll update as I learn more. Since Conroe is almost 2 hours from me I had my bro go by today to check on it. When he told Donnie Buckalew he wanted to grab some pics Donnie suggested otherwise. His reply was that "most Corvette owners don't like seeing their baby scattered all over a shop floor". My brothers reply was "yeah, I know. That's why I'm doing it!"

I'm not concerned. I am a gear head and stuff like this does not concern me...as long as the work being performed is done by a competent mechanic. Hoopty assured me that he would be doing all of the work and "he knows how Vette guys are with their cars". Note the painters tape on the rear bumper cover.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:36 AM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Default Car is back home

Picked up the car yesterday and it runs like new. They installed TC 24280631 along with cooler flush, turbine shaft o-ring, filter and new trans fluid.

The exhaust valve error code was my fault. I had removed #42 fuse and forgot to put it back in.

Fingers are crossed. Hope this lasts for the life of the drivetrain warranty.
The following users liked this post:
tail_lights (07-22-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:17 PM
AWOL
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rogue3standingby
I agree, just had mine done there, took them about a day and half, no problem getting a loaner car, great people to work with
Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Will give them a call tomorrow. Mine really seemed to be acting up today......
Old 07-25-2017, 10:26 PM
DeweyIsgod
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I also had the TC replaced at Munday a couple weeks ago. It took them 5 days but that was waiting on parts for 2 days.

They had no problem putting me in a loaner Silverado that whole time.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Babyray2015
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinny
What kind of loaner do they give you, if you don't mind me asking? A corvette?
Old 07-28-2017, 03:22 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Babyray2015
What kind of loaner do they give you, if you don't mind me asking? A corvette?
Good luck with that. Mine was a brand new 2017 Silverado 4x4 crew
Old 08-16-2017, 06:48 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Default The good, the bad and the ugly.....

Just got a call back from Classic Sugarland that my car is ready. Car has been there for a full week. Dropped it off last Tuesday. Call back on Friday saying needs a torque converter and that it would be ready Monday.

Good- Brand new Tahoe for a loaner, 700 miles on it when I drove it away.

Bad- Was told it would be ready Monday. Called and left a message early and was never called back. Since Monday is my day off I headed up there, thinking since they told me Monday if it wasn't ready they would call me back. Wasn't ready.

Ugly- Ready (Wednesday) BUT!!!!! Today I am told something to the effect of- We really have trouble with GM when it comes to replacing parts, after a lengthy discussion with them your car was determined to only need a flush and reprogram.

So, a full week to flush and reflash the computer? After I was told it needed a new converter? Glad I'm getting the car back but worried now it is not really fixed properly. I guess my 3k mile road trip coming up will let me know......

That being said I do not recommend Classic Sugarland for the torque converter issue. I should have taken it to one of the other dealerships that have dealt (properly) with the issue. I am about to do some digging and see if a flush and reprogram has ever fixed the issue but with so many replacements I highly doubt it but dam I'd love to be wrong.

Last edited by tail_lights; 08-16-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:54 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear it took so long for your repair. You really should be glad they did the flush. As you can see from my pics above, it is a very invasive process. Some have had results with the flush.

That said, I think we are still not anywhere near a true fix for the whole TC shudder issue. I would prefer to live without AFM. Someday I will do a true AFM delete. Range device is still not an acceptable solution for me.

Good luck to you and all other shuddering victims out there!
Old 08-23-2017, 04:51 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Flush did not work...... Not even close. May have made things worse, honestly. Wasn't even out of Houston yet and knew that it wasn't having the desired effect. Made for a crappy road trip (at least while on the road) Dropped it off as soon as I got back and now maybe I'll be able to get the converter changed.....

Reading through some old threads here, it seems like the flush did fix a portion of the cars affected. And that it is somewhat common for the dealer to do the flush to see if it works. That being said I am giving Classic another chance. I just wish beforehand I was told that they were going to flush it first to see if that works. Just a heads up too, the shop foreman was quick to ask if I had any modifications or had done any tuning to the car. Saying that they send the data to GM and have had some come back denied for warranty..... I thought this was interesting, luckily my car is bone stock down to the OE paper filter.

Last edited by tail_lights; 08-23-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:58 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Update...... Triple flush seems to be working. I know I said it didn't work on the last post but apparently they did not triple flush it the first time and I am wondering if they even flushed it once (the first time). I personally think they just did a reprogram. Now that they did the triple flush the car feels much better. The transition from 4-8 is so smooth most of the time I can't tell and only every once in a while does it feel like a subtle gear change. There is a slight noise while in 4 cylinder mode but I am 99% sure it is the belt as the noise is coming from the front of the car. I will schedule a HD belt replacement and hopefully be done fixing the car and start really enjoying it

Get notified of new replies

To A8 TC issue dealer recommendation for Houston

Quick Reply: A8 TC issue dealer recommendation for Houston