Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Alignment Help and best service dept. in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 PM
KyleTexas
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alignment Help and best service dept. in Houston?

I've had issues with alignment on my car since I bought it used a year ago. It's always had a pull to the right, that's noticeable even at low speeds on side streets.

To set the foundation for the thread, I'm not well versed on suspension settings, but I have a general understanding of camber, caster, and toe. That's why I'm turning to you all for help and recommendations.

So, I just got new tires, and it was still pulling. I first took it to RMS Auto Care, and they said it was perfectly in spec and didn't want to touch it. However, the steering wheel was slightly to the right, and always had been for me, and they suspected the steering angle sensor so they thought I needed to bring it to Chevy. Then, I took it to Knapp and had them troubleshoot it, and provided them with this bulletin I'd pulled off the Forum:
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=3984

Knapp Chevy had my car for several days, and turned my car back to me with it still pulling to the right. I attached what I believe to be the last two alignment reports (stated this way because I think they had it on the rack more than twice). I can't be for sure the first was the first report, which is unfortunate and means I may not have the baseline case.

Re: the steering angle sensor, I mentioned that but they kind of blew me off. I requested they recalibrate it just in case, but I don't know if they actually did.

1. Who do you recommend as the most reliable Corvette service department in Houston?
2. If not Chevy, is there another alignment shop you can recommend?
3. I told them not to give me my car back out of spec if it was still pulling right, but you see that the cross camber and cross caster are now out of spec. Is this an issue, even a minor one?
4. Is there anything glaring you see from the reports that should have been a no-brainer fix to those guys?

This is probably enough to get the thread started. I really appreciate any help and recommendations.

Most recent alignment report

Second most recent (but maybe first?) alignment report
Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Most of the specs are where they should be except the cross camber and cross caster is indeed a little off. Has the pulling to the right condition "improved" at all? Have they gotten your steering wheel straight? There is no way to fix the steering wheel without them totally redoing the toe on both wheels. On some cars you can take off the steering shaft reinstall it one spline over but not on the C7..
The following users liked this post:
KyleTexas (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:04 AM
KyleTexas
Advanced

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Most of the specs are where they should be except the cross camber and cross caster is indeed a little off. Has the pulling to the right condition "improved" at all? Have they gotten your steering wheel straight? There is no way to fix the steering wheel without them totally redoing the toe on both wheels. On some cars you can take off the steering shaft reinstall it one spline over but not on the C7..
Thanks. Yeah, they were able to correct the steering wheel, which was the one good thing that came out of it so far.

I feel like whatever they did improved it by a tiny amount, but I still basically steer slightly left at all times.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by KyleTexas
Thanks. Yeah, they were able to correct the steering wheel, which was the one good thing that came out of it so far.

I feel like whatever they did improved it by a tiny amount, but I still basically steer slightly left at all times.
Remember that most all roads are designed with the center of two lanes being elevated for rain runoff. So, it may always seem to pull to the right if if its not actually pulling. It can be hard to find a good road that is actually level. Try to find a good six lane highway thats level and test it there.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 AM
KyleTexas
Advanced

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Remember that most all roads are designed with the center of two lanes being elevated for rain runoff. So, it may always seem to pull to the right if if its not actually pulling. It can be hard to find a good road that is actually level. Try to find a good six lane highway thats level and test it there.
Thanks, yeah I've tested on all the highways. My other cars don't pull, while this one does.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:34 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Apologies if I am stating things you have already considered, but hopefully some of this will be helpful:

The cross-caster component is an attempt at compensating for road crown. A car will pull to the side of least caster on a road that is truly level. However, even if a road doesn't look like it is crowned, it is supposed to be by design. Most OEM spec cross-caster accordingly.

From the looks of your report, the shop attempted to account for road crown by putting less caster on the front left. (Pulls to side of least caster.) Am I reading that correctly? You now have 7.1L and 8.0R?

Tire camber causes side thrust, so differences in camber side to side will also cause a pull. As will tire pressure differences, tire size differences, etc. Again, if I am reading the report correctly, you have significantly different camber L versus R. This will definitely cause a pull, although I can't characterize how severe it would be.

Lastly, not to overcomplicate it, but do you know if they set rear caster as well?

-michael
Old 07-19-2017, 11:11 AM
KyleTexas
Advanced

Originally Posted by MSR
Apologies if I am stating things you have already considered, but hopefully some of this will be helpful:

The cross-caster component is an attempt at compensating for road crown. A car will pull to the side of least caster on a road that is truly level. However, even if a road doesn't look like it is crowned, it is supposed to be by design. Most OEM spec cross-caster accordingly.

From the looks of your report, the shop attempted to account for road crown by putting less caster on the front left. (Pulls to side of least caster.) Am I reading that correctly? You now have 7.1L and 8.0R?

Tire camber causes side thrust, so differences in camber side to side will also cause a pull. As will tire pressure differences, tire size differences, etc. Again, if I am reading the report correctly, you have significantly different camber L versus R. This will definitely cause a pull, although I can't characterize how severe it would be.

Lastly, not to overcomplicate it, but do you know if they set rear caster as well?

-michael
Michael,

Thanks for the input. Okay, so with the caster setting, I see they set it to favor the left side. Yes: 7.1L and 8.0R. However, as for camber, they've got -0.2L and -1.0R. This means the car should favor the left again, correct?

With that clarification in mind, the car does not track left on a flat road. If I drive on the wrong side of the road on a two-way street, it's not pulling me off the road to the left. I've tried multiple roads and multiple highways--the left lane behavior is not as it is should be. I basically steer slightly to the left on all roads in all lanes, all the time.

Could something be off with the rear? Or with the electronic steering calibration? I suppose the dealer's alignment machine could be off, too. Tire pressure is good across the board.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2017, 11:14 AM
KyleTexas
Advanced

I missed your comment about rear caster. I'm going to find another dealer to take it to, or maybe even better, a shop that does alignments for high-end cars. Haven't had good experiences at Knapp.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 AM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Michael,

Thanks for the input. Okay, so with the caster setting, I see they set it to favor the left side. Yes: 7.1L and 8.0R. However, as for camber, they've got -0.2L and -1.0R. This means the car should favor the left again, correct?
Yes, I think that is correct. So, right, that alignment sheet doesn't appear, on the surface, to explain the pull.

It's probably worth the effort to treat this as a "problem," rather than an alignment issue, to ensure something isn't off somewhere. Maybe try measuring the wheelbase difference side to side, and also ride heights, and wheel centerline location relative to the vehicle's centerline. (Example, my driver-side rear is 20mm further out than the passenger rear, but the fronts are equidistant.)

I'm sorry, I am too busy these days or I'd offer to scale and align the car for you. Try reading up on using strings to check those things. It takes some effort to set it up, but it can be very accurate. Alternately, if you're inclined and want the power to do all of your alignments for the rest of your life, on any car, consider buying SmartStrings and SmartCamber products. I supplement with toe plates since they allow for more repeatable/accurate measurements against the strings.

On the rear caster, it's easy for you to measure it yourself if you have a good digital angle gauge. Properly sized dowel pins or bolts can be inserted into the reference holes in the rear spindles. You could at least get a rough idea. I'm not sure if rear caster would cause pull if it's way off side to side, but you should address that regardless.

-michael
Old 07-20-2017, 10:55 AM
KyleTexas
Advanced

Originally Posted by MSR
Yes, I think that is correct. So, right, that alignment sheet doesn't appear, on the surface, to explain the pull.

It's probably worth the effort to treat this as a "problem," rather than an alignment issue, to ensure something isn't off somewhere. Maybe try measuring the wheelbase difference side to side, and also ride heights, and wheel centerline location relative to the vehicle's centerline. (Example, my driver-side rear is 20mm further out than the passenger rear, but the fronts are equidistant.)

I'm sorry, I am too busy these days or I'd offer to scale and align the car for you. Try reading up on using strings to check those things. It takes some effort to set it up, but it can be very accurate. Alternately, if you're inclined and want the power to do all of your alignments for the rest of your life, on any car, consider buying SmartStrings and SmartCamber products. I supplement with toe plates since they allow for more repeatable/accurate measurements against the strings.

On the rear caster, it's easy for you to measure it yourself if you have a good digital angle gauge. Properly sized dowel pins or bolts can be inserted into the reference holes in the rear spindles. You could at least get a rough idea. I'm not sure if rear caster would cause pull if it's way off side to side, but you should address that regardless.

-michael
Awesome, this is all very good info. Thanks. I fully agree to consider treating this as a problem not related to alignment settings. This is why I actually believed that the steering angle sensor could be off, as if the electronics are telling the car to drive right even though the specs are solid. I still don't know if Chevy acknowledged/addressed the SAS or not. I reiterate that because the steering wheel was indeed several degrees turned to the right when I brought it in, and it had been like that ever since I got the car a year ago. They leveled it out though.

I thought I found a good (alignment only) shop yesterday that does lots of high-end cars, until the manager who's worked there for 24 years told me there is no such thing as rear caster.

I may consider testing the strings.

Thanks for the help, Michael.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:06 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Awesome, this is all very good info. Thanks. I fully agree to consider treating this as a problem not related to alignment settings. This is why I actually believed that the steering angle sensor could be off, as if the electronics are telling the car to drive right even though the specs are solid. I still don't know if Chevy acknowledged/addressed the SAS or not. I reiterate that because the steering wheel was indeed several degrees turned to the right when I brought it in, and it had been like that ever since I got the car a year ago. They leveled it out though.

I thought I found a good (alignment only) shop yesterday that does lots of high-end cars, until the manager who's worked there for 24 years told me there is no such thing as rear caster.

I may consider testing the strings.

Thanks for the help, Michael.
On most cars including C6 and earlier Corvettes, rear caster is not adjustable.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:14 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I've had issues with alignment on my car since I bought it used a year ago. It's always had a pull to the right, that's noticeable even at low speeds on side streets.
I took a look at the alignment specs.

While the alignment 'numbers' are within spec, they still need to be balanced side to side. What you want is for the LF camber to equal the RF camber, the LF caster to equal the RF caster, and the same for the rear.

When you take it to an alignment person, explain that the car pulls right and that you want the settings adjusted until the left side wheel is exactly the same as the right side wheel with the steering wheel smack dab in the middle of its settings. This may cost a tad more than just seeing that they are within spec, but you need relief from your grief, so be willing to pay for it. If possible, be at the alignment machine with the tech, watching him measure and adjust until the readings come out balanced.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:35 PM
KyleTexas
Advanced

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
On most cars including C6 and earlier Corvettes, rear caster is not adjustable.
Thanks, good to know.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:37 PM
KyleTexas
Advanced

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
I took a look at the alignment specs.

While the alignment 'numbers' are within spec, they still need to be balanced side to side. What you want is for the LF camber to equal the RF camber, the LF caster to equal the RF caster, and the same for the rear.

When you take it to an alignment person, explain that the car pulls right and that you want the settings adjusted until the left side wheel is exactly the same as the right side wheel with the steering wheel smack dab in the middle of its settings. This may cost a tad more than just seeing that they are within spec, but you need relief from your grief, so be willing to pay for it. If possible, be at the alignment machine with the tech, watching him measure and adjust until the readings come out balanced.
Great, I will give this a try. Thanks! Now, all I need is to find the right shop to take it to. It also could just be I need to take to a different dealer. Maybe Knapp Chevy's machine was out of spec.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:05 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm not too sure where you are located in Houston but on 290 near the Beltway there is Sal's Auto Sport. Since Curt closed up his C&C NW Houston shop I've been using Sal for alignments and he is very familiar with the cars. If nothing else, you can probably give him a call and explain the situation. He will let you know if he thinks he can help or not.
The following users liked this post:
KyleTexas (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 01:09 PM
KyleTexas
Advanced

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
I'm not too sure where you are located in Houston but on 290 near the Beltway there is Sal's Auto Sport. Since Curt closed up his C&C NW Houston shop I've been using Sal for alignments and he is very familiar with the cars. If nothing else, you can probably give him a call and explain the situation. He will let you know if he thinks he can help or not.
Just got off the phone with Sal. I'm impressed. He's the first person so far to acknowledge an adjustable rear caster for this car. I guess I've made that my baseline for weeding people out. I'm going to take my car there and will circle back with the results. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 07-25-2017, 04:02 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Just got off the phone with Sal. I'm impressed. He's the first person so far to acknowledge an adjustable rear caster for this car. I guess I've made that my baseline for weeding people out. I'm going to take my car there and will circle back with the results. Thanks for the recommendation!
I hope he is able to get the car sorted for you. Either way, please let us know what happens.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:03 PM
KyleTexas
Advanced

Just wanted to send an update here. I've had a baby in the meantime! I took my car to Sal's in July. He was great. It wasn't quite right the first time, so I immediately took it back and he got it perfected the second time. I couldn't be happier with how it's driving now.

I recommend Sal's to everybody in the Houston area! Very professional and knows his stuff.

Thanks to everybody who chimed in!
Old 10-04-2017, 10:46 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Thanks for letting us know your experience. Congrats on the baby!

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment Help and best service dept. in Houston?

Quick Reply: Alignment Help and best service dept. in Houston?