Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

New C5 owner looking for local help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:15 AM
hellbent1
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New C5 owner looking for local help

Below is a thread I started in the C5 Tech area. I've not had any luck with responses. I suspect that the transmission(5th gear synchro) has an issue based on what I posted below. Does anyone have suggestions on who they would trust locally for transmission work?

I am a new(old) corvette owner. I recently purchased a 99' C5 convertible with a 6 spd. The car has 48K on it and in really good shape except for the issue I am having with the transmission. The car will go up and down 1st through 4th with no problem. However, when I shift to 5th, the car goes into gear with no problem then seems to get stuck there. Coming off the highway slowing down I engage the clutch and try to shift to a lower gear, it feels like it doesn't shift. The shifter moves most of the way to the lower gear but the car still feels like it stays in 5th. With the car stopped, I turn off the engine and play with the shifter until it finally feels like it is back to a normal shift movement. Sometimes after getting stopped, I think I get the car in 1st but when I release the clutch the motor bogs complete with no movement from the car. I have done the following to try and remedy this problem hoping that this wasn't a transmission problem.

1. Changed fluid in transmission. A fluid compatible with paper blockers.

2. Cycled clutch master cylinder fluid until clear(Ranger Method).

3. Replaced stock C5 shifter with MGW C5/C6/C7 shifter.

None of these corrected the problem although the new shifter feels awesome compared to the old shifter. Like I said earlier I am a new owner and am learning the car. I would even admit operator error but the car has done it with another driver and I driven sticks before and this just doesn't seem right. This forum has been great so far in working through diagnosing this problem with no previous experience with corvettes. I have fair mechanical knowledge but will readily admit when I don't know something and this has me stumped. I would appreciate any and all thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:08 AM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Im not a C5 guy. So with that in mind...
Does it have the 1-4 CAGS?
(Computer aided gear selection)
Maybe it needs to be disconnected?
The following users liked this post:
hellbent1 (08-25-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 AM
hellbent1
Heel & Toe

I initially thought the same about the 1 to 4 shift assist but I was not having any trouble with 1st through 4th gear. Also, I had a couple occasions where the assist actually activated and worked without issue. Unfortunately, the car is now in the shop and being dove into by someone who gets paid a lot more than me to know about corvette transmissions. I appreciate your input.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:32 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Old 08-29-2017, 09:06 AM
hellbent1
Heel & Toe

Default Update.

Mechanic found retaining "C" clip for 5th/6th shifting fork had come lose. Groove for clip on for is questionable. Replacing fork.

Get notified of new replies

To New C5 owner looking for local help

Quick Reply: New C5 owner looking for local help