Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

Texas owners.....plate? Sticker? EZPASS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:25 PM
AttyVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTRKO
Ok my last Vette was registered in FLA. I decided to register my new one here in good ol' TEJAS....

Looks like on the C7 the Front plate will not look so bad...no biggie. Anyone not mount the plate and have issues?

Inspection sticker....any mods or cool ideas to make this look ok?

EZPASS??? Anyone just mount it inside the center arm rest area?

Pics would be great!
You can actually buy a eztag that mounts on front license plate...I don't have one but I know someone who does..it's a small device that mounts on the plate.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:38 PM
Sicky
Racer

Received 372 Likes on 187 Posts

I used the front plate dilemma as an excuse to swap in the Z06 grille. Painted the aero-panel and plate frame carbon flash to match. There are a lot of DPS troopers out where we live and the risk of a fine just isn't worth it imo.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:43 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

I've had 4 Corvettes in Houston and never had a front plate.

as someone else said, no inspections sticker and the registration sticker is lower left windshield. My EZ tag was behind the rear view mirror. You couldn't see it easily.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09 AM
pasquale91
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I got popped north of Emory a few months ago.
State trooper was in front of me and saw me dodge a turtle which in turn
I crossed a double yellow line. That gave him an infraction to pull me over.
Got a warning for pulling out and failure to pass and no front plate.

They cannot pull you over for not having a front plate, you will have to do something
else to necessitate a traffic stop. Whether you get cited for no plate is up to the Officer or the jurisdiction, it's an easy $200.00 for some places.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pasquale91
I got popped north of Emory a few months ago.
State trooper was in front of me and saw me dodge a turtle which in turn
I crossed a double yellow line. That gave him an infraction to pull me over.
Got a warning for pulling out and failure to pass and no front plate.

They cannot pull you over for not having a front plate, you will have to do something
else to necessitate a traffic stop. Whether you get cited for no plate is up to the Officer or the jurisdiction, it's an easy $200.00 for some places.
Where did you get this information? I have been pulled over MANY times for no front plate.

I believe the opposite is true. They will pull you over for no front plate in order to sniff around and see if there is something else you have going on.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:17 PM
pasquale91
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Where did you get this information? I have been pulled over MANY times for no front plate.

I believe the opposite is true. They will pull you over for no front plate in order to sniff around and see if there is something else you have going on.

The 2013 Legislative session did away with the fine for not having a front plate. The 2015 session caught that and re-instated the fine, but did away with not having a front plate or in-date inspection sticker as reason to be pulled over. IF that was the case, every poor soul from every state that surrounds Texas would get pulled over by every Officer that noticed they didn't have a front plate.

Or maybe its just you. I don't get looked at twice for not having a plate. The same as all the new luxury type car on the road without a front tag.

Last edited by pasquale91; 11-03-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

The 2013 Legislative session did away with the fine for not having a front plate. The 2015 session caught that and re-instated the fine, but did away with not having a front plate or in-date inspection sticker as reason to be pulled over. IF that was the case, every poor soul from every state that surrounds Texas would get pulled over by every Officer that noticed they didn't have a front plate.

Or maybe its just you. I don't get looked at twice for not having a plate. The same as all the new luxury type car on the road without a front tag.
The information seems off since we don't have inspection stickers anymore. I'll see what I can find. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

I found this...

Implications For the Texas Motorist | Texas Front License Plate Law | Penalty for Front License Plate Violation

Currently, the penalty for operating a vehicle without a front license plate is $200.00 – subject to change with subsequent legislation. However, there may be more to this than meets the eye. Generally speaking, when a vehicle is out of compliance with mandatory safety and administrative regulations (such as only having a rear license plate), by statute, Texas law enforcement has “probable cause” to conduct a traffic stop. At minimum, such a traffic stop could include pulling the vehicle over, running a check of the license plate, researching the driver’s license and registration of the motorist, and issuing a citation for violating the two plate rule.

Last edited by Aerovette; 11-03-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 AM
pasquale91
Instructor

Glad you found that. It clears up what was most certainly hearsay by a former cop.
If I may ask, of the many times you've been pulled over, how many fines did you have to pay.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Glad you found that. It clears up what was most certainly hearsay by a former cop.
If I may ask, of the many times you've been pulled over, how many fines did you have to pay.

It's not like it happens often. Over 30 years of living in Texas, I've been pulled over in nearly every vehicle I owned at one point or another. I have never been fined. I usually stick the plate on with a magnet or double sided tape, take a picture, and that's that. Smartphones made that process even easier. I would estimate 10-12 times stopped. Of those, probably 4 warnings and the rest tickets that got dismissed. One time I was stopped on horseback in a park. The officer said "put a front plate on or leave the park"...so I left. It is a risk and I'd rather not have a plate, so I take the risk.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:59 PM
capeli
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette
One time I was stopped on horseback in a park. The officer said "put a front plate on or leave the park"...so I left. It is a risk and I'd rather not have a plate, so I take the risk.
I was trying to figure out how you put a front plate on a horse. I had this image of you on a horse being pulled over. It’s not my sharpest day
The following 2 users liked this post by capeli:
Aerovette (11-05-2017), pasquale91 (11-05-2017)
Old 01-26-2018, 07:20 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,774 Likes on 4,221 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I've lived in TX for 11 years and have never had a front plate on any of my vehicles, and only been stopped once by a State Trooper on interstate 45 about an hour south of Dallas toward the end of the month where there were a line of Troopers on both sides pulling over every body. Surprisingly I was in my '16 Mitsubishi Outlander. I explained there was no mounting location on the front, he walked around the front, checked it out & said "well it is the law" and gave me a warning. I'm not drilling into the front bumper on the Outlander so it still has no front plate. My wife's '16 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Back Country Edition came with an AEV steel winch ready bumper from the factory with no place to mount a front plate, so that one doesn't have one either. Of course I'm not messing up the front of the Vette with a front plate, so my front plate is on the wall in the garage.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:35 AM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm in Texas and in the past I used to cut the blue surround off the inspection/license tag that fits in the left corner of the windshield. This made the tag smaller but still had all required information.
One day a local police passed and I saw him really looking at me so I watched him in my rear view mirror and sure enough he made a U-turn and pulled in behind me. A block later he pulled me over along with another police car for backup. With ticket book in hand he walked up to my windshield looked at the sticker never said a word got back to his car and they left.
I don't like being pulled over so I have quit cutting off the boarder on the sticker!

Last edited by 64Corvette; 01-28-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Texas owners.....plate? Sticker? EZPASS?