Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:00 AM
Dr Z
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help sought with trip from Albuquerque, NM, to Houston, TX

Hi everyone!

I am Chris (from Germany), lived in Los Alaoms, NM, many years ago
and pickedup the Corvette virus there. Used to drive an ‘81 then, returned to Germany
and eventually got a 1970 convertible a few years later (the virus …).
Always dreamedof a C2 and eventually made that dream come true
and now takecare of a 1967 coupe since about 8 years.

Through old friends and neighbors from Los Alamos, I now
acquired a1979, which still is in New Mexico and is currently
being made roadworthy. The plan is for me to go to New Mexico,
drive the car and fix whatever turns up and then be joined by my wife
for two weeks of road trips in the Four Corners area.
Once that’s over and she’s gone home, I am to continue on from
Albuquerque to Houston to ship the Vette home to Germany
(and for myself to fly home from there).

I would love recommendations on which way to go and where to stop
and stay for that final trip from Albuquerque to Houston.
The interstate would just be too easy and too boring, I am afraid.

So would you ladies and gents recommend Lubbock – Abilene or Amarillo – Dalles?
Orsomething in between?

The timeframe will be leaving Albuquerque Sunday morning, May 27th, and
arriving in Houston Wednesday, May 30th.
Deliver the car for shipping on Thursday and board the plane Friday morning.

I’d love to hear from you!

Many thanks in advance!

Chris

Last edited by Dr Z; 01-27-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:46 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Default See if this rings any bells

Chris, here’s a set of recommendations that can be tailored to suite your desires.

1. From Albuquerque go south on I-25 to I-10 (study New México maps for things of interest on the way....for example, White Sands is an interesting place, and is close to Los Alamos).

2. Go eastbound on I-10 across the Texas/New Mexico state line (you’ll know when you cross the border, because you’ll immediately feel the rush from enhanced freedom of choice). Go eastbound on I-10 through El Paso, TX to Van Horn, TX (about 90 miles east of El Paso).

3. At Van Horn, go south/east on US 90. Now, you COULD stay on US 90 all the way to San Antonio, but if you did, why you’d miss some of Texas' best driving roads. So here are options for you.

4. Stop in Marfa and Alpine (located on US 90, each town has interesting local history) if you wish.

5. East of Alpine, consider going south on US 385. Why? Because US 385 takes you into the Big Bend, a portion of Texas that has its highest elevations (over 6,000 feet) and some really fund-to-drive roads. But be forewarned: there’s only one way into/out of the Big Bend – US 385. So taking the Big Bend tour won’t advance your progress towards Houston one bit.

6. Back on US 90 continue eastbound to Uvalde. Lots of interesting scenery on this road. Caution: don’t stop for hitchhikers or help strangers here – you’re close to the Mexico border, and drug mules abound.

7. At Uvalde, go north on Texas State Highway 55. Continue north to Camp Wood. At Camp Wood, go eastbound on Texas Ranch Road (aka Farm Road) 337. RR 337 continues about 110 miles eastward, and dead ends in Medina, TX (Texas State Highway 16). RR 337 and two roads which connect to it – RR 335 and RR 336 – are about the best roads in Texas for adventuresome riders. They are affectionately referred to by Texans as either “The Holy Trinity” (by the sports bike crowd) or “The Three Twisted Sisters” (by the sports car crowd) and are a “must do” if you have time and the inclination. Intersecting RR 337, at Vanderpool, is Texas State Highway 187. If you travel north on TH 187 for about 4 miles, you will come to a motorcycle museum. Don’t be skeptical…this museum is owned by an Australian national. He travels all over the world finding old (virtually all are pre-WWII, and many are pre-WW I) bikes. There are typically anywhere between 60 and 100 of them – built by virtually every manufacturer in the world - on display. The owner restores them (with original parts he scavenges worldwide) in the shop at the back of the museum and, if crowds permit, will give you a tour of that shop. All in all, it’s a great stop.

8. At the east end of RR 337 is Medina (at the intersection of RR 337 and State Highway 16)…here you have a choice: go north on SH 16 through Kerrville to Fredericksburg (an 1850s German settlement), or south on SH 16 either (a) all the way to San Antonio (great tourism opportunities) or, (b) after exiting SH 16 at SH 46, to Boerne (another 1850s German settlement).

a. As recently as the 1980s, the majority of Fredericksburg’s residents were descendants of the original German immigrants and were tri-lingual: amongst themselves they spoke the Mother Tongue; to out-of-state tourists, English; and Texan to us natives. Fredericksburg, at about 10,000 in population, has wonderful German restaurants and breweries, and also has a very interesting museum. Turns out that one of Fredericksburg’s native sons – Chester Nimitz, a graduate of the US Naval Academy at Annapolis - was the admiral in charge of the entire Pacific Fleet throughout WW II. He was a true national hero.

b. Boerne (pronounced by us dumb Texans as “Bernie”) is laid-back in the last few years has transformed into a “second home” or “retirement home” community for Texas' well-to-do. Still, Boerne has interesting tourism opportunities and some good “German restaurants.”

9. If you choose to go to Boerne, you can then stay on SH 46 and will ultimately arrive in New Braunfels (yup, another German settlement) – another good place to nose around. You can then continue east/south on SH 46 to Seguin where SH 46 junctions with I-10 (the interstate that would take you the remaining 175+ miles to Houston).

10. Alternatively, if you choose to go to Fredericksburg, you can get onto US 290 east – this takes you through Luckenbach (population 9 and really a tourist spot for Texas country guitar pickers and singers, but well worth the stop if you’re thirsty - the town sheriff is also the bartender at the local saloon) and Johnson City (where there is a “family home” and museum devoted to the life and times of former US President Lyndon Johnson) and on to Austin. There is much to see and do in Austin, as I suspect you might already know. Austin to Houston is about 175 miles due east on 290, and there isn’t much too spectacular to see during that drive.

I suspect other will weigh in, but some of the above is what I would consider doing. I personally would want to go to the Big Bend (see 5 above). It is rumored that speed limits in some areas of the Big Bend are (occasionally) optional. I always enjoy the Holy Trinity (see 7) and Fredericksburg (I took about 20 motorcycle trips there (from Dallas) during my motorcycle-riding days and a few more in my C5).

Hope this helps.

The Lizzard

Last edited by LoneStarLizzard; 01-28-2018 at 07:20 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LoneStarLizzard:
Dr Z (01-29-2018), greatgonzer (02-22-2018), wolfman64 (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 06:47 PM
wolfman64
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 181 Posts
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by LoneStarLizzard
Chris, here’s a set of recommendations that can be tailored to suite your desires.

1. From Albuquerque go south on I-25 to I-10 (study New México maps for things of interest on the way....for example, White Sands is an interesting place, and is close to Los Alamos).

2. Go eastbound on I-10 across the Texas/New Mexico state line (you’ll know when you cross the border, because you’ll immediately feel the rush from enhanced freedom of choice). Go eastbound on I-10 through El Paso, TX to Van Horn, TX (about 90 miles east of El Paso).

3. At Van Horn, go south/east on US 90. Now, you COULD stay on US 90 all the way to San Antonio, but if you did, why you’d miss some of Texas best driving roads. So here are options for you.

4. Stop in Marfa and Alpine (located on US 90, each town has interesting local history) if you wish.

5. East of Alpine, consider going south on US 385. Why? Because US 385 takes you into the Big Bend, a portion of Texas that has its highest elevations (over 6,000 feet) and some really fund-to-drive roads. But be forewarned: there’s only one way into/out of the Big Bend – US 385. So taking the Big Bend tour won’t advance your progress towards Houston one bit.

6. Back on US 90 continue eastbound to Uvalde. Lots of interesting scenery on this road. Caution: don’t stop for hitchhikers or help strangers here – you’re close to the Mexico border, and drug mules abound.

7. At Uvalde, go north on Texas State Highway 55. Continue north to Camp Wood. At Camp Wood, go eastbound on Texas Ranch Road (aka Farm Road) 337. RR 337 continues about 110 miles eastward, and dead ends in Medina, TX. RR 337 and two roads which connect to it – RR 335 and RR 336 – are about the best roads in Texas for adventuresome riders. They are affectionately referred to by Texans as either “The Holy Trinity” (by the sports bike crowd) or “The Three Twisted Sisters” (by the sports car crowd) and are a “must do” if you have time and the inclination. Intersecting RR 337, at Vanderpool, is Texas State Highway 187. If you travel north on TH 187 for about 4 miles, you will come to a motorcycle museum. Don’t be skeptical…this museum is owned by an Australian national. He travels all over the world finding old (pre-WWII and many, pre-WW I) bikes. There are typically anywhere between 60 and 100 of them – built by virtually every manufacturer in the world - on display. He restores them (with original parts he scavenges worldwide) in the shop at the back of the museum and, if crowds permit, will give you a tour of that shop. All in all, it’s a great stop.

8. At the east end of RR 337 is Medina…here you have a choice: go north on SH 16 through Kerrville to Fredericksburg (an 1850s German settlement), or south on SH 16 to either San Antonio (great tourism opportunities) or, after exiting at SH 46, to Boerne (another 1850s German settlement).

a. As recently as the 1980s, the majority of Fredericksburg’s residents were descendants of the original German immigrants and were tri-lingual: amongst themselves they spoke the Mother Tongue; to out-of-state tourists, English; and Texan to us natives. Fredericksburg, at about 10,000 in population, has wonderful German restaurants and breweries, and also has a very interesting museum. Turns out that one of Fredericksburg’s native sons – Chester Nimitz and a graduate of the US Naval Academy at Annapolis - was the admiral in charge of the entire Pacific Fleet throughout WW II – a true national hero.

b. Boerne (pronounced by us dumb Texans as “Bernie”) is laid-back but has transformed into a “second home” or “retirement home” community. Still, Boerne has interesting tourism opportunities and some good “German restaurants.”

9. If you choose to go to Boerne, you can then stay on SH 46 and will ultimately arrive in New Braunfels (yep, another German settlement) – another good place to nose around. You can then continue east/south on SH 46 to Seguin where it junctions with I-10 (the interstate that would take you the remaining 175+ miles to Houston).

10. Alternatively, if you choose to go to Fredericksburg, you can get onto US 290 east – this takes you through Luckenbach (population 9 and really a tourist spot for Texas country guitar pickers and singers, but well worth the stop if you’re thirsty (the town sheriff is also the bartender at the local saloon) and Johnson City (where there is a “family home” and museum devoted to the life and times of former US President Lyndon Johnson) and on to Austin. There is much to see and do in Austin, as I suspect you might already know. Austin to Houston is about 175 miles due east on 290, and there isn’t much too spectacular to see during that drive.

I suspect other will weigh in, but some of the above is what I would consider doing. I personally would want to go to the Big Bend (see 5 above). It is rumored that speed limits in some areas of the Big Bend are (occasionally) optional. I always enjoy the Holy Trinity (see 7) and Fredericksburg (took about 20 motorcycle trips there (from Dallas) during my motorcycle-riding days and a few more in my C5.

Hope this helps.

The Lizzard

EXCELLENT write up!...The Fredricksburg, Boerne, New Braunfels route would be perfect for him! Kudos to you Lizzard for taking the time to write it up!......
Old 01-28-2018, 07:00 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wolfman64
EXCELLENT write up!...The Fredricksburg, Boerne, New Braunfels route would be perfect for him! Kudos to you Lizzard for taking the time to write it up!......
Sure. After all, in much of Texas the only true native Texans are prairie dogs. The Native Americans (primarily Apache and Commanche) tended to migrate along with the buffalo - north to Kansas in the summer, and south to Mexico in the winter. Why? Texas was too hot in the summer and to cold and unpredictable in the winter.

The rest of us just got here as soon as we could.

Go figure.

The Lizzard
Old 01-28-2018, 07:18 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

You could go to Tucumcari and pickup Route 66 through Texas.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:44 AM
Dr Z
Advanced

WOW

That is absolutely amazing!
Many thanks, Lizzard!

And thanks for the Route 66 tip, too!

I shall plan accordingly and hope it'll fit into my timeframe.

If I'll meet anyone of you on the road I'll or two...

Chris

Last edited by Dr Z; 01-29-2018 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:58 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice work lizard looks like I have some places to go.
DrZ. PM me and I’ll give you my number in case you break down in the Austin area. Always ready to help a fellow C3 owner
Old 01-29-2018, 06:59 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice work lizard looks like I have some places to go.
DrZ. PM me and I’ll give you my number in case you break down in the Austin area. Always ready to help a fellow C3 owner
Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

New Braunfels,isnt that where the ''chaparell [jim hall-race cars]display is ,at the oil rig museum?
Old 01-29-2018, 03:27 PM
Dr Z
Advanced

Hi BlowAMouse!

Thanks for your offer!
Much appreciated!
You have PM.

Thanks to everone!

I will map out the trip and have added another day to it by leaving one day later than originally planned - more is not feasible, but it will be worth it I am sure

I'll keep you posted.

Chris

Last edited by Dr Z; 01-29-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
New Braunfels,isnt that where the ''chaparell [jim hall-race cars]display is ,at the oil rig museum?
You're thinking of Midland, at the Permian Basin Museum.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:26 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Chris, how exciting for you ! Vielleicht konnen wir besuchen! (I hope I said that right- it's been awhile and we don't have umlauts ) If you have the time while in the ABQ area, I'd love to buy you a beer (unfortunately not a good German pilsner but the IPAs aren't bad), and host a visit to the Unser Racing Museum (I am a docent there).
A few thoughts for your contemplated trip. Route 66 east of Albuquerque isn't particularly exciting IMO; it is all high plains desert. Santa Rosa and Tucumcari are the two main Rt. 66 towns east of ABQ up to the Texas border; they do have some cute and interesting Rt. 66 memorabilia (swim in the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, and the Blue Swallow motel in Tucumcari is rather iconic).
What I think might be more interesting is, and this is all dependent on your time (or lack thereof ), go west out of ABQ toward Grants (old lead mining town with a museum), then take Rt. 117 south and you can visit El Maipas National Monument. As you drive there you will go through old lava fields which cover the ground (the whole area was volcanic eons ago). Take this to Rt. 60 and head back east, stopping in Pietown for some pie, and then stopping to see the V(ery)L(arge)A(rray), which was featured in the movie "Contact". Back to I-25 south to Truth or Consequences, where you can soak your bones at various natural hot springs and spas in the town. Continue south to Hatch for a green chile fix and some good BBQ at Sparky's cafe. Stop at White Sands National Monument and be overwhelmed by the open expanse and vista. It will be getting hot this time of year so make sure you have a hat and water if you trek into the dunes on foot; some tourists are not prepared and people have died as a result (a French couple succumbed just in the past year or two). Carlsbad Caverns is amazing, and now you're about ready to enter Texas. You'll be in oil country, and the Permian Basin Museum will tell you everything you want to know, with the added bonus of seeing Jim Hall's Chaparral collection. You probably won't have time to travel through Big Bend State Park, or head north to Palo Duro Canyon State Park (the second largest canyon in the US), both worthwhile visits. Bumping along the Gulf of Mexico would be fun but I think most of the towns there are still recovering from the hurricane that struck, so going into Texas Hill country (as mentioned by Lizzard) is lovely. Stop in Austin or San Antonio (visit the Alamo) and then on to Houston.
If you do go east to Amarillo, make sure you stop at the Cadillac Ranch and take a picture of your visit there. (Palo Duro is just south of Amarillo, btw.)
Have fun whatever you decide !
What were your plans for the Four Corners area? There are a lot of interesting places to see there - both historical (Indian) and geological. Let me know if I can help.

Last edited by wamara; 01-29-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Dr Z
Advanced

Hi Wayne!

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions! I have been there done that for quite a bit of what you mention, but Pietown, VLA, Permian Museum and Palo Duro Canyon State Park are new to me. I´ll keep them in mind - there's always a next time :-)

I am leaning towards ABQ - Carlsbad - Big Bend - Three Sisters - Fredericksburg - will post details when the plan is more settled.

Thanks for the invite to the Unser Racing Museum - sounds great! Let's do that! I am mainly staying in Los Alamos and Santa Fe, getting the Vette ready, visiting with friends etc.
BUT I firmly plan to be in ABQ Saturday, May 12th, at the dragway (Car Club Clash from 4 pm). Maybe we can meet earlier on that day? Beer s at night (am staying in ABQ)?

Chris

Last edited by Dr Z; 02-01-2018 at 01:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
greatgonzer (02-22-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 02:08 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
As another poster noted, Jim Hall's base is in Midland. I used to meet him quarterly back in the days when he was a board member of pubic company Elcor Corporation. Jim's business card listed him as "manager" of an oil & gas company (typical Jim, very low key and humble. He was the manager, sure...he owned it).

Anyway, Jim's home was about 30 miles outside of Midland. There he built an exact duplicate of the 2 1/2 mile Indianapolis 500 oval. Each spring most of the Indy 500 teams flew their cars to Jim's oval where he and his crew tuned each car's chassis and gave them track time to enhance their skills.

Great guy and a real innovator.

The Lizzard
Old 02-01-2018, 07:16 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Dr Z

Thanks for the invite to the Unser Racing Museum - sounds great! Let's do that! I am mainly staying in Los Alamos and Santa Fe, getting the Vette ready, visiting with friends etc.
BUT I firmly plan to be in ABQ Saturday, May 12th, at the dragway (Car Club Clash from 4 pm). Maybe we can meet earlier on that day? Beer s at night (am staying in ABQ)?

Chris
Hi Chris, I'll mark my calendar for the 12th. We'll keep in touch as the time ticks down. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Wayne
Old 02-01-2018, 07:58 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Vanderpool, TX - Lone Star Motorcycle Museum

Here is a link to the website for the museum I mentioned in my initial post. Lots of pictures on this website. This may help you decide whether to stop here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...nty_Texas.html

The Lizzard
Old 02-11-2018, 07:39 AM
Dr Z
Advanced

Thanks to all your help, the trip is taking shape!
Here's the itinerary so far:

Sun, May 27: Albuquerque - Carlsbad
Mon, May 28: Carlsbad - Van Horn - Big Bend (Chisos Mountain Lodge)
Tue, May 29: Big Bend - Uvalde
Wed, May 30: Uvalde - Three Sisters - Lonestar Motorcycle Museum - Fredericksburg
Thu, May 31: Fredericksburg - Houston
Fri, June 1: Houston - deliver Corvette to shipper
Sat, June 2: Houston - leave by plane & go home

I will pretty much be following the route laid out by The Lizzard

I noticed the Blue Origin West Texas Suborbital Lauch Site next to 54 north of Van Horn.
Does anyone know whether it's possible to visit? And which road to take?

Any recomendations for where to stay in Houston? And what to do or see?

I am thinking of going down to Galveston and riding along the coast on the islands - is that a good idea?
Going west on 87, is there a Corvette-OK ferry to Port Bolivar?

Have a great weekend!

Chris

Last edited by Dr Z; 02-11-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help sought with trip from Albuquerque, NM, to Houston, TX

Old 02-22-2018, 05:47 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Chris, I grew up in Los Alamos and worked at the labs for about 5 years. I now live in Albuquerque, But travel up to Los Alamos every so often for car shows as such. LA is such a beautiful town. Too bad you have to leave. Best of luck on your travels and If I can meet you guys in May for a pint or two I'll try.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:39 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris:
Let me suggest you travel to Amarillo, then proceed 220 miles SE on 287 to Wichita Falls Texas. 50 miles east of W.F. is the Horton classic car museum in Nocona, TX. Inside you will find 50-60 top notch Corvettes including a '53. There are a total of about 150 cars in this collection. It is a jewel for North Texas. From Nocona, you are 125 miles North of Dallas. Enjoy your trip.
http://hortonclassiccarmuseum.com/index.html
The following users liked this post:
greatgonzer (02-27-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Dr Z
Advanced

Hey TexasMadMan!

Thanks for the suggestion! The museum sounds awful! That would definitely be an option.
I have almost been to Amarillo once but turned back before I got there and stayed in
Tucumcari at the Blue Swallow. Also loved historic Route 66 at Cuervo -
the car did get a nice oilpan scrub :-) even though it was no Corvette.

I just wish I had even more time than I already do.
Or maybe I will just have to come back

Thanx again!

Chris

Quick Reply: Help sought with trip from Albuquerque, NM, to Houston, TX