Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas | Nevada

z06 moving from Commiefornia to Houston

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts
Default z06 moving from Commiefornia to Houston

I was worried because I didn’t see a Vette for three days anywhere. I was relieved to finally see a slew of them.

for the Texas locals, where’s good to drive?

Where are the good Vette meetup/ hangouts?

Where are the speedtraps (how bad is 5-0)?

i won’t duplicate the thread going on reputable Corvette shops in Houston.

thanks everyone
Old 03-08-2019, 11:25 AM
B-17/B-25 CC
Burning Brakes

Received 513 Likes on 251 Posts

Driving places? Just about any of the Farm to Market roads (noted on signs by FM with a number) between Sealy and Austin, especially during Bluebonnet season (now thru mid to late April. Hill country west of Austin (Fredericksburg, Llano, Marbel Falls, Kerrville). Best known is the Twisted Sisters (Google for exactly which roads) located west of Medina.

5-0? Like everywhere. Texas requires front plate to be mounted at front of vehicle (laying in the windshield is not legal). Enforcement is up to the individual officers. Some folks report never being stopped/cited for it. I myself chose to mount mine just to keep from being stopped for not having one.

There are several Corvette Clubs in Houston if you are into those.

This weekend (March 9 and 10) in Galveston is the Corvette Expo on the Seawall Blvd in the Convention Center.

Last edited by B-17/B-25 CC; 03-08-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by B-17/B-25 CC
Driving places? Just about any of the Farm to Market roads (noted on signs by FM with a number) between Sealy and Austin, especially during Bluebonnet season (now thru mid to late April. Hill country west of Austin (Fredericksburg, Llano, Marbel Falls, Kerrville). Best known is the Twisted Sisters (Google for exactly which roads) located west of Medina.

5-0? Like everywhere. Texas requires front plate to be mounted at front of vehicle (laying in the windshield is not legal). Enforcement is up to the individual officers. Some folks report never being stopped/cited for it. I myself chose to mount mine just to keep from being stopped for not having one.

There are several Corvette Clubs in Houston if you are into those.

This weekend (March 9 and 10) in Galveston is the Corvette Expo on the Seawall Blvd in the Convention Center.
cool, thanks
Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 PM
recentlydivorced
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

In Kemah at the home depot parking lot there is a car get together every friday evening. Cars of all type. Seen a Model T to a lambo there plenty of vettes and stangs there. Bunch of car people hanging out and Bsing

Fun evenings.

Couple of car groups there is HPD Houston performance driving on face book all types of cars, then there are several corvette clubs depending on what side of houston you live in.

I am in clear lake occasionally go down to Kemah , the cars and coffee get togethers are on the wrong side of town for me to get up that early and get there.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 AM
383z
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the other day Texas has the most Corvette owners of any other state. I'm surprised it took you so long to see one. I live in the Clear Lake area too and go to the Kemah get together here and there. Pearland also has a gathering on Saturday nights which is huge.
What part of Houston are you in?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by recentlydivorced
In Kemah at the home depot parking lot there is a car get together every friday evening. Cars of all type. Seen a Model T to a lambo there plenty of vettes and stangs there. Bunch of car people hanging out and Bsing

Fun evenings.

Couple of car groups there is HPD Houston performance driving on face book all types of cars, then there are several corvette clubs depending on what side of houston you live in.

I am in clear lake occasionally go down to Kemah , the cars and coffee get togethers are on the wrong side of town for me to get up that early and get there.
cool I’m near Sugarland, was near Katy last trip.

i’m still learning the area
Old 04-02-2019, 10:57 AM
383z
Cruising

Op, I acutlly you have more options for Cars and Coffee, car shows, and get to gathers on that side of town. Get on Facebook and follow the local pages and groups. Oh!! There is something always going on at the Baytown race track.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:21 PM
vegasjunkie2004
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 383z
I read the other day Texas has the most Corvette owners of any other state. I'm surprised it took you so long to see one. I live in the Clear Lake area too and go to the Kemah get together here and there. Pearland also has a gathering on Saturday nights which is huge.
What part of Houston are you in?
Where in Pearland is this gathering?
Old 04-03-2019, 01:04 PM
383z
Cruising

The Freddy's location, (2650 Pearland Parkway) in front of Palias Royal and Petco.
They been having a little trouble finding a permanent location since Lowe's didn't want them at their location anymore. I don't know why. It was very well organized, no burnouts, family friendly, etc. I guess it was getting so big.

The people that run it are friendly and I worked with them when I volunteered for the Friendswood car show a year ago.
Feel free to contact Kenneth Pylate by e-mail to be placed on his weekly e-mail blast informing of locations (if it moves) and if the weather will permit the gathering. He doesn't send out junk mail. Just information about locations and if it will be cancelled due to weather.
His email is skypylate@sbcglobal.net
The following users liked this post:
vegasjunkie2004 (04-04-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:25 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Subscribing since I am back in a Corvette for the first time in four years. Getting plugged back in myself.

Welcome to Houston! And choose your freeway battles carefully. Houston is home to some of the fastest street-driven Corvettes in the country.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Thanks again everyone. I’m subscribed to Houston corvettes page on FB now. I have to check out Baytown thing.

Speaking of crazy fast Vettes, a dude who was driving last Fri southbound on the 610 in his black C7Z vert and was next to a yellow C7Z with CA vanity plates... the yellow vette was me and I saw u do a crazy pass between two cars almost side by side !! I was scared for u bro!

Last edited by Parcival; 04-23-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:47 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival

Speaking of crazy fast Vettes, a dude who was driving last Fri southbound on the 610 in his black C7Z vert and was next to a yellow C7Z with CA vanity plates... the yellow vette was me and I saw u do a crazy pass between two cars almost side by side !! I was scared for u bro!
LOL! You'll see a lot of that crazy stuff like that around these parts. I personally don't do it because I put other driver's safety ahead of my own, but if there's a wide-open roadway, I've been known to open it up (radar detectors are a must). That stretch of 99 between highway 290 and I-10 is where Hennessy did their 200 MPH run in a C7. I tried to duplicate that run in my Z06, but ran out of road. Just be careful. I've seen a dead hog or two along that highway. That would be quite the mess to hit one of those at triple digit speeds.

Get notified of new replies

To z06 moving from Commiefornia to Houston

Quick Reply: z06 moving from Commiefornia to Houston