Twisted Sisters Run - Hill Country Texas

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:34 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Default Twisted Sisters Run - Hill Country Texas

We went on a little trip to the Texas Hill Country on Monday - Wednesday to drive a 100 mile loop known as the "Twisted Sisters" run. We actually drove the route on Tuesday. We drove down on Monday and drove home yesterday. Unfortunately it was raining on Tuesday and Wednesday. The rain on Tuesday was pretty light but it made the road slick so we had to drive pretty slowly. Even so, it was a fun trip and we loved the Twisted Sisters. There was almost no traffic on the route, probably because of the weather. This being a 100 mile loop, it would seem that even on nice days there would be room for bikes, sports cars, and still be fun. There are plenty of spots where one could pass if need be. There are twisty corves and plenty of roller coaster type ups and down that make this a fun drive but still relatively safe if one practices common sense. Anyway, it would have been better if it had not been raining, but we still had a good day and I am glad we went.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:37 AM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Did it on the Harley 2 summers ago, it was 109 they day we rode. The curves can be a little daunting if its the first time you have been on the road. I always heard horror stories of cattle crossing the road but we never saw a one.
It was funny to me seeing all the little signs they had about water running across the road, with it being 100+ the thought of rain never crossed my mind but it would have been nice.
Anyway, glad you guys had fun. There is a lot more to do down in that neck of the woods with all the wineries, Fredericksburg, etc.
The following users liked this post:
crawfish333 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 09:57 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I love the twisty curves and I have been driving these types of roads for many years. I was driving kind of mildly anyway since it was wet, but I was more concerned about the cows than the curves. We did not see any cows or deer on the road. I did go over one cattle guard a little too fast and that shook us up a bit. Since the wild flowers were out it made the drive very scenic. We actually stayed in Fredericksburg and drove back on highway 16, which was very scenic and practically deserted. We also went to Luckenbach and took a few photos. We. drove our C7 roadster but were never took the top down.

Last edited by crawfish333; 04-25-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:32 AM
itsaz
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I understand that 335 near the Vance Bridge had suffered some kind of damage and was very rough. Can you confirm this?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:19 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Yes, there are some spots that are kind of bad at some water crossings on 335. There were a couple of places where there was a mound of white rocks that was in place of where a bridge probably was. I just took it easy crossing these places and I don't think there was any rock chip damage to my paint. I more or less idled across these places. Assuming it is no worse than it was last week, I would not let it dissuade me from driving the roads.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:32 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default I am spoiled.......I live close

The ''TWISTED SISTERS RUN'' is one of the best in the USA, and close to my new home in Bandera, Texas. I lived in California for 50 years and have been blessed driving all the great California Highways as well as UTAH, COLORADO NEW MEXICO, and Arizona.

The growth in Texas so far has not endangered these 2 lane perfect sports car roads, but I worry that too many people will discover this great get-a-way event.

Thanks for sharing.

JIM GESSNER
Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 PM
itsaz
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by crawfish333
Yes, there are some spots that are kind of bad at some water crossings on 335. There were a couple of places where there was a mound of white rocks that was in place of where a bridge probably was. I just took it easy crossing these places and I don't think there was any rock chip damage to my paint. I more or less idled across these places. Assuming it is no worse than it was last week, I would not let it dissuade me from driving the roads.
Thanks. We try to make the run at this time of year, but decided to put it off based on what I had read.
This is from a few years ago:
Old 05-02-2019, 05:07 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

We also lived in California for several years and drove the coast road from San Diego to Portland plus many other back roads in the west. I lived in Bakersfield on the east side near Kern Canyon. Every month or so I would drive my old C6 up the canyon road.. it was a blast. We also love driving in the Smokies and the curves up there can be quite exhilarating.

Originally Posted by jimgessner
The ''TWISTED SISTERS RUN'' is one of the best in the USA, and close to my new home in Bandera, Texas. I lived in California for 50 years and have been blessed driving all the great California Highways as well as UTAH, COLORADO NEW MEXICO, and Arizona.

The growth in Texas so far has not endangered these 2 lane perfect sports car roads, but I worry that too many people will discover this great get-a-way event.

Thanks for sharing.

JIM GESSNER
The following users liked this post:
DuallyCrew (05-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Twisted Sisters Run - Hill Country Texas

Quick Reply: Twisted Sisters Run - Hill Country Texas