BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Default [TEXAS] Getting somebody else's tickets from the Dallas Tollway Photo Cops

I posted this over in OT but I thought there might be someone with experience about Texas License laws here who could help.

-----------------------

Back in November I traded my Jeep for a new car. Apparently the dealership turned it pretty quick because I'm now getting violation notices from the North Texas Tollway Authority saying that the car, which apparently still has my old plates on it, is busting through the toll plazas on the Dallas North Tollway.

I figure it's no biggie because I have a dated sales receipt and all the back up paperwork, but what a PITA. They mail you a nice little return mail statement with a picture of your car blasting through the toll booth and a listing of the violations for that week. It has been next to impossible to get through on the phone and finally after a week and a half they responded to my e-mail.

So far this mook with my tags has racked up almost $200 in fines. I hope they nail him to the wall.

---------------------------------
The guys over in Off Topic are berating me for getting rid of the car with the tags on it but every car I have bought and sold in Texas has had the seller's tags on the car and I understood it was the buyer's job to get the car tagged within 30m days. Am I off base on this?
Old 01-14-2003, 02:34 PM
SnowDale
Drifting

Location: Spring, Texas Unofficial Houston Event Photographer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Default Re: [TEXAS] Getting somebody else's tickets from the Dallas Tollway Photo Cops (jholmes)

Nope, you aren't off base. As long as you have the paperwork to back up that it's not your car, you are ok.

It reminds me of a few years back when my dad traded in his company car, then had a visit from Houston's finest about the hit and run his car was in. He had all the paperwork, so they went to go visit the dealer next.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:42 PM
Snowman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: [TEXAS] Getting somebody else's tickets from the Dallas Tollway Photo Cops (SnowDale)

Tell the people in OT to mind their own business. Plates go with the car in Texas. Yes to what people already said about presenting the evidence. On the top of your title, there is a strip you are supposed to tear off and send in (with a 5.00 check) that tells them that the car has been sold. They don't care about selling price on that document only the date of sale. The car STILL stays registered in your name until the new owner files but at least you've notified the state. I prefer the system in other states where you keep the plates so no risk of this kind of trouble. But such are the ways in Texas anyway.

Doug :seeya

[Modified by Snowman, 2:44 PM 1/14/2003]
Old 01-14-2003, 07:21 PM
Godspeed
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: [TEXAS] Getting somebody else's tickets from the Dallas Tollway Photo Cops (jholmes)

Just make sure you get things cleared up with the NTTA because they will report the violations to the DPS which will turn them into warrants. I had a problem with a defective tolltag last year which earned me 29 violations in 2 months which turned into 3 warrants. The problem was my fault for not updating license plate with the NTTA (I was using a tolltag from a previous car.) Once I straightened out the mess with the NTTA, they cleared up the warrants.

Luckily for your situation Texas does have some laws to protect you. Here is some more info on Form VTR-346 that Snowman was talking about:

From the Tx DOT web site

Question: I sold my vehicle several months ago, but the registration and title have not been changed to reflect the new owner's name and address. I'm getting notices about parking tickets involving that vehicle -- and the registration renewal notice has also come to me. What can I do?

Answer: It is probable the new owner has not transferred title to their name. Contact the county tax office or VTR Regional Office and fill out the Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification (Form VTR-346)*. Or write a letter to: Texas Department of Transportation, Vehicle Titles and Registration Division, Attention: Vehicle Data Management Branch, Austin, TX 78779-0001. The letter must provide the vehicle description (year, make, VIN), date of sale, and purchaser’s name and address. Upon receipt of the fee and the form or letter, we will place a notation on the motor vehicle record indicating that the vehicle has been transferred. The fee for this service is $5. Checks or money orders should be made payable to the Texas Department of Transportation.

[Modified by Godspeed, 6:22 PM 1/14/2003]
Old 01-15-2003, 12:52 AM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: [TEXAS] Getting somebody else's tickets from the Dallas Tollway Photo Cops (Godspeed)

I don't know how this works in Texas, but in Arizona my dealer had to follow up on citations on a car I sold back to them. It might be a pain in the behind, but I'm sure you won't be liable.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:30 AM
PowerMad
Pro

Sounds to me like the dealership that got your car and resold it may have been negligent with the paperwork on the vehicle, leading to all these problems you are facing. Talk to a good attorney. He can easily straighten out the false charges against you. He may even be able to recover monetary compensation for the damages suffered by you (psychological stress, loss of time, tainting of your reputation, etc.).

sincerely,

dave
Old 01-15-2003, 11:13 AM
twincam47
Racer

By Texas Law the dealer has 20 days to transfer a title after a sale.
After the 20 days he would incur a tax penalty for late transfer. The dealer transfers the paperwork in the county in which the vehicle was sold and the county sends the records to the Texas MVD. I am not sure how long this process
takes to update Motor Vehicle Records for Police Department Computer Requests.
At any rate your plates would stay with the vehicle unless they were more than five years old. Then the County upon transfer of the title work would replace them with newer ones. You are safe...although a PITA with your buyers paperwork for the new car which shows your tradein in the negotiated price.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:31 PM
thefly
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that happened to me but with a personalized license playe. they had bad data on a car i hadn't owned in 4 years when it happened. you think they would be able to do a decent trace.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:44 PM
TexasRedZ06
Drifting

Default Re: [TEXAS] Getting somebody else's tickets from the Dallas Tollway Photo Cops (thefly)

Gee, I'm glad that I bought my last car out-of-state in Louisiana!! I got to keep both plates, so no problems ever.

I would have to agree that its the dealer's responsibility to properly transfer title and registration....... that's what you pay for in the DOC FEE!!
Old 01-22-2003, 04:26 PM
movinlow
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Dude, that is no good...but I wouldn't know how they could put a warrant out for someone who they do not have positivley identified...anyone could be driving the jeep,, not the buyer...anyway hope you get it figured out...it is a hassle you have to deal with... :(
Old 01-23-2003, 11:15 AM
mash557
Burning Brakes

I had that exact same problem when I traded cars several years ago. I called the Toll Authority and they send me a form to fill out that I had sold the car. Can't remember if they needed paperwork or whatever, but was no problem. Now if they would just answer the phone for you... Sounded to me like it happens to them quite a bit. Good Luck
Old 01-24-2003, 06:35 AM
ambitin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: [TEXAS] Getting somebody else's tickets from the Dallas Tollway Photo Cops (mash557)

I had a worse problem! I traded in my 1985 fiero when I graduated from college. A few months later I got a call from a detective. He said that my car had been involved in a robbery of some sort and he needed to ask me questions. I explained to him that I had sold the car months earlier.

Scary that someone can "borrow" your identity just by buying a used car. Anyways, next time I sell a car I won't have that problem cause I now use personalized license plates :)

Lates,
Justin

Get notified of new replies

To [TEXAS] Getting somebody else's tickets from the Dallas Tollway Photo Cops

Quick Reply: [TEXAS] Getting somebody else's tickets from the Dallas Tollway Photo Cops