Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Review and install guide of MBS headers for 2010+ Camaro V8

Review and install guide of MBS headers for 2010+ Camaro

Product description

MBS has recently started carrying long tube and shorty headers in stock for the 5th generation camaro. These headers come from the same plant in China that produce headers for several other leading manufacturers in the industry. This review and install guide focuses on their long tube headers. The long tube headers feature 1 7/8" long tube race-tuned stainless steel headers and are available for 2010+ Camaro V8s. Featuring TIG welded True Merge collectors for ultimate power, the collector outlet is 2.5" to mate up with the stock or aftermarket exhaust. For Offroad Use only as they eliminate the catalytic converters. A single O2 sensor port is provide on each header. Gaskets and hardware are included.

Intro:

I am going to let the cat out of the bag right now, these are about the easiest headers I have installed in my life. Take a look at the picture below and you will see why. The MBS headers are a direct replacement for the factory manifold and convertor assembly and have a 2.5” outlet that mates with the stock slip fit connector. That means you are just 8 bolts and 2 electrical connectors (per side) from installing these in your own car. Here’s what you don’t have to do: you don’t have to disconnect the steering shaft or battery; you don’t have to remove the spark plugs; you don’t need to jack up the motor; no EGR pipes to deal with; and with generous space in the engine bay thanks to the General, these are truly a snap to bolt in.

Picture with MBS headers lying on top of stock assembly [look closely]

Experience Level Required
EASY EASY EASY

Estimated Time
1.5 hours

Tools Required
11mm, 13mm, 15mm sockets with ratchet
7/8" open-end wrench or 7/8" O2 sensor socket
Small torque wrench (18 ft-lbs range)
Anti-seize thread compound
Auto lift, or approx 2 foot tall jackstands or ramps

Additional parts required
O2 sensor extension harness qty 2 – 14” or greater.

As noted before the installation is extremely easy from the bottom. The car needs to be at least 2 feet off the ground in order to slip the headers in place from the bottom. I used a lift which made it even easier.

Removal Steps
  1. Remove the engine cover, remove all of the spark plug wires. It is not necessary to remove the spark plugs.
  2. Remove the oil dipstick from the passenger side cylinder head with a 15mm socket.
  3. Remove the 6 exhaust manifold bolts on each side of the engine with a 13mm socket. Save the bolts and metal gaskets items for reuse.
  4. On the backside of each cylinder head, facing the firewall, there is a wiring harness plug for the front pre-catalytic O2 sensors. These plugs are attached to the head by a slide-on plastic tab. Disconnect both plugs.
  5. Elevate car to at least 2 feet off the ground with a lift, jackstands, or ramps.
  6. Disconnect the wiring harness plugs for the two rear post-catalytic O2 sensors. Remove the two rear O2 sensors with a 7/8" wrench.
  7. Loosen the two slip fit connectors by using a 15mm socket. The slip fit connectors connect the manifold/cat convertor assembly to the mid-pipe.
  8. The two exhaust manifold assemblies will slip right out of the bottom of the car, with the catalytic assemblies still attached to them. Once they are out, remove the two front O2 sensors with a 7/8" wrench.

Install steps
  1. Install the two pre-cat O2 sensor extension harnesses to the wiring harness plugs that were mentioned earlier, found on the rear of each cylinder head. Allow them to hang down.
  2. Slip the two headers in place, from underneath the car. Use the slip fit connectors to temporarily secure them so that they do not fall back out.
  3. Mock-up the headers to check the fit. In my case, the steering shaft just made slight contact with driver’s header on primaries 3 and 4. I marked the contact area, removed the header and then “dimpled” it using a 5/8” long socket and hammer. It’s an easy mod, just take your time. Measure twice and “bang” once, lol.
  4. If the fit is good then from above, install the gaskets and 6 bolts. Snug them all down and then torque to factory specs of 18 ft-lbs.
  5. Install oil dipstick. This can be tricky, since you have to install it blind. You may have to slip it down there and then crawl back under the car to guide it into the hole. Reinstall the 15mm hold down bolt.
  6. Install the plug wires and engine cover
  7. Back under the car, tighten up the slip fit connectors.
  8. Using anti-seize compound reinstall the front O2 sensors. Connect the O2 sensor plug to the extension harness. Use zip-ties to route the wires away from any exhaust pipes.
  9. The rear O2 sensors will not be used. The PCM will not be happy about this and will generate error codes. Either tune the codes out or find some O2 sims.
  10. Start the engine and listen for any exhaust leaks. Tighten flanges as required.
  11. Total install time for me was 2.5 hours and that included stopping work to take pictures, and making breakfast for my daughter.

My assessment

MBS shipped the headers to me and they arrived the next day. The packaging was a bit weak so be sure to check the headers for any damage. In my case there was none. Upon taking them out of the box, the quality of these headers was impressive. Full ½ flanges, full stainless, excellent bends, very nice looking TIG welds. The included aftermarket exhaust gaskets and hardware were a plus but I prefer to use factory and gaskets and hardware when given the choice. Installation of the headers is a cinch, especially if you have a background installing headers on the more difficult C5 or F-body. My catback exhaust is stock and I wasn’t expecting a huge different in exhaust note, but I was pleasantly surprised upon first startup. The exhaust is considerably louder when rapping the throttle without adding any drone at cruise. WOT is also considerably louder while cruise is the same. The increase in sound has kind of a raspy bark to it. Watch my video to get an idea.

If you want an affordable long tube header that is a direct bolt-in, is incredibly easy to install, and adds a nice touch to the exhaust note, then you can’t go wrong with these headers. I would definitely purchase them again.

Here's a video that compares the stock exhaust vs the MBS.

Highlights
  • Packaging is a little light, check for damage
  • Well built, affordable LT header with a nice increase in exhaust sound
  • Ridiculously easy to install.
  • No cats means its for off-road use only.
  • O2 sensor extensions are not included
  • Each header weighs 14 lbs vs 28 lbs for the stock assembly
  • Exhaust burble on decal, some love it, some hate it. For the haters it can be tuned out.
  • No cats means off road use only.
  • Check your clearance around the steering shaft.
  • No ports for rear O2 sensors. Tune or O2 sims are required.

What’s next?

My car is a 2010 CGM 6M, this is the first mod to my car and I don’t intend to get a PCM tune just yet. It seems to run fine without a tune with the exception that while under high load and low RPMs the engine tends to buck. Perhaps as the fuel trim tables update this issue will resolve itself. Currently the check engine light is on because of the missing rear O2 sensors. I am in the process of sourcing a bolt-in O2 simulator. Since the EPA cracked down a few years back on the largest manufacturer of these devices, they are hard to come by. I will update this post when I find a suitable solution.
My car baselined at a 13.0 @ 108 the one and only time I ran at the track. I will run it again when the weather cools and will update this post with the new data. In the future (say 18 months from now) I will add a CAI, cam and a tune in order and will again update this post with the new data.

Scroll down to the posts below for more pictures.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Default Pictures pre-install

Pictures of the bottom of the car prior to install:

Old 07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Default Pics during the install

Passenger side header overlaid on top of stock assembly

Another overlay

Driver's side installed showing same ground clearance as stock passenger side.

Another view showing ground clearance...

Driver's side installed compared to stock passenger side

Another view

It's hard to see this one, but the intent here is to show that the O2 sensor is about 13" short of the connector on the back of the head.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Default Final install pics

Bottom view

Bottom view

Get notified of new replies

To Review and install guide of MBS headers for 2010+ Camaro V8

Quick Reply: Review and install guide of MBS headers for 2010+ Camaro V8