Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Group Purchase Beware!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Geoff17
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Group Purchase Beware!!!

I think I am within the guidelines established by this site. If not let me know.

I signed up for a group header purchase by a sponsering vendor on this site. The day I placed my order (I believe I was the 2nd to sign up) my credit card was charged. 7 weeks later after numerous phone calls back and forth I cancelled my order. I was told that I would be charged a 15% restocking fee for canceling. I stated that a 15% restocking fee (while admissable under the "rules" of a group purchase)seemed ridiculous considering I waiting 7 weeks and could not get an estimate as to when, if ever, my headers would ever be delivered, but I would appreciate at least an oppurtunity to speak to the "decison maker" about the restocking fee.

Needless to say I never got a phone call from the "decision maker". I also never got a credit with or without the 15% restocking fee. After 3 weeks I called up the credit card company and lodged a complaint. It was resolved within 2 weeks & I received a credit less the 15% fee.

The 15% restocking fee is immaterial (about $150) but I thought you should know that there is a sponsoring vendor that is less than ethical.

If you want the vendors name please PM me.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:59 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

It is illegal to charge your credit card before the item ships. If you pressed the issue with your credit card company then should reverse the $150 charge as well. It shouldn't be difficult at all.

Don't let them get away with it.

If $150 doesn't mean that much to you, I'll do the paperwork for you and you can give me the $150!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:00 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Go back to your credit card company and demand the 15%. How can they restock it when they never had it in stock to begin with?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:02 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Who was the dealer? You can post it here.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:05 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am under the impression that restocking fees are for the return of non-defective products.

If you never received the product, how can they re-stock it?

I, for one would appreciate the vender's name.

Also, $150 is not immaterial to me.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:21 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure we are all glad to have vendors that sponsor Corvette Forum. Most of us give praise to the vendors for a job well done. Is it not the purpose of any forum to connect people with the same interests and to provide a media for debate and exchange of information good or bad?............................ Then we all should be able to post negative results also, in a respectful manner, keeping each other informed, and giving the vendor a chance also to defend their side of the situation. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:23 PM
prc6vette
Racer

Please post the Vendor name; it could save other members the hassle you went/are going through.

You should be able to get the 15% fee back from credit card company even if the vendor is unwilling to do so.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Every Credit Card Merchant Agreement I've seen states that the merchant cannot charge your credit card before the item ships. They have broken their agreement. You do not owe them a restocking fee. I would go back to your credit card company, and dispute the $150 restocking fee. They will reverse the $150 charge pending an investigation. They will have to prove that the charge was legitimate (which they will not be able to do). When the credit card company finds out that the item never shipped, you'll keep your $150. The credit card terms heavily favor the consumer.

I would also report this indiscretion to the forum moderators. I'm assuming they have some sort of standards for supporting members.

Michael
Old 08-15-2005, 10:34 PM
SickRick
Drifting

There are exceptions to this rule (unfortunately). TicketMaster is one of them. In the case of an online transaction, exceptions such as this group purchase thing must be in writing, and acknowleged at the time of transaction.

I had concert tickets that were shipped and I never got them - fedex claimed to have left them in the mailbox (either they didn't, or they got stolen). By that point (while ticketbastard was investigating) I bought a spare pair from a friend, and told ticketbastard not to bother, just refund. I disputed the charge, and lost, because by making the purchase I acknowleged ticketbastards terms.

Post the name - nothing like a little PEER PRESSURE to help straighten the situation out...

Rick
Old 08-15-2005, 10:40 PM
The Garage Master
Le Mans Master

If you post anything negative about a forum member they will suspend you this forum is a dictorship not an open forum. PM if you want details that's why I am under a new name.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:02 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Call your back but more importantly, call Visa or Mastercard. They have rules of ethics that vendors have to follow if they want to be able to accept Visa or Mastercard. I wonder if this is the same vendor that whined to Borla when AccidentProne tried to do a GP and made the price reasonable. Made them look bad.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Mike Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Please let me know the vendors name.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:10 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black C-6
If you post anything negative about a forum member they will suspend you this forum is a dictorship not an open forum. PM if you want details that's why I am under a new name.
Not totally true. The forum will allow a certain amount of leeway. First, they want to know that your have made every reasonable effort to resolve the issue via PM or e-mail. If you are not satisfied with the response (in your case it appears that there really was no explanation), the forum will normally allow you to post you side, then wait for the vendor to offer their version of what happened.

They will shut it down when they feel that both sides have had their say, and/or if it becomes an abusive thread. I've been on this forum over four years, and most of the time I think the moderators do a good job of allowing a reasonable exchange. Heck, there is a thread still open after about three days about a forum vendor that I thought should have been shut down.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 PM
The Garage Master
Le Mans Master

I can tell you that isn't the case. I will get in trouble now because I may be accused of hi-jacking a thread. Many people swear and hi-jack threads but not in a bad way just an opinion that takes the thread in a different direction and that is a no-no. I have switched to DC and when my suspension or whatever I am in trouble for is lifted I will post my side and be done here. I have spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on this forum with many vendors here are they names of a few:
WCC
Complete Dreams
Paula
Ken the dealer
Ken the Vette man
Maxie
Elite
About to use Tybrne
About to use Cartek
Brite ideas
MDMC
Corvette Garage
Fred Bean
The moderators need to answer to the vendors not me. I am one guy and will end up on DC which most of these vendors are there except the dealers. I will miss you guys but most are there as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:16 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll see you over at DC as well. The internet forum is supposed to be about exchanging ideas and experiences good and bad and should never be about protecting vendors.. Without customers, the vendors will have no one to sell to. The vendors and moderators should be smart enough to know this. If a vendor is getting ragged by 1 customer and has good customer experiences with many others those customers will speak up and defend that vendor and vice versa. I have seen it time and again.These things should have a way of working themselves out without moderators deleting threads to protect their vendors.IMO
Old 08-16-2005, 02:30 AM
corvettec6racing
Instructor

It is hard to beware if you don't know who to beware of. As the topic states.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:03 AM
Vegas Sam
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 97 Posts

As long as you are reporting fact, and have tried in good faith to resolve the issue, I don't understand why you can't post the name of the vendor. I'm in a similar spot, I ordered Kooks headers over a month ago from a sponsor, who said they would match another's sale price. They charged me the day of the order, and now, over four weeks later, no headers. I've spoken to Kooks directly, and they have been helpful in explaining how they run thier production, etc. Granted, this was after two phone calls to the vendor, who said, "we'll get back to you". I'm still waiting for the call. Kooks' swear my headers will be here this week. I hope so.

Get notified of new replies

To Group Purchase Beware!!!

Old 08-16-2005, 06:30 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 594 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

This thread has gone

Who is this masked man we speak of !
I have bought manny things from amnny forum dealers without any problems here so would like to know before i buy anymore !?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:08 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Please tell us the vendors name. I'm in the market for a set of headers and I don't want to be where you are now. How do these guys get away with charging your cc before shipping the order? There was a vendor that sold Lightning parts that came out with the first larger lower blower pulley. He charged hundreds of customers cards and then took over six months to ship the product. Every week it was "two more weeks". I think the guy financed his shop (he built it during this time) with the pulley money. One of his ex employees told me he had over $40,000.00 worth of pulley money for over six months. That's better than going to the bank to finance your business!

What site is DC? I may leave this site also because of censorship. There was a post about a ZR1 that went in a lake during an autocross event. The guy that was driving stepped up to the plate and told what he remembered about it. When one of the corner workers posted what he saw from his vantage point it was deleted! Since I do lots of track events I would like to try and learn from what happened so I don't make the same mistake myself. The owners of this site are just that....the owners, and they can do whatever they want but they also may lose people with the censorship I am seeing.

Jerry
Old 08-16-2005, 09:13 AM
mr d
Intermediate

Default Could it be-----

tbyrne? They charged my credit card before it was shipped to me. However it may have been en route to THEM from the manufacturer before I was charged but I don't think so. My order was for a cat back exhaust and I received it in a reasonable time frame so I did not complain about the early credit card charge. I am almost sure they have a restocking fee for cancelled orders.