Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Bob Sharon.."Classic Corvette Investment"

Old 12-14-2006, 09:00 AM
steemin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bob Sharon.."Classic Corvette Investment"

Has anyone here had any dealings with Bob Sharon owner:
Classic Corvette Investment. He is a small dealer in Michigan.
Thanks,
Scott
Old 12-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by steemin
Has anyone here had any dealings with Bob Sharon owner:
Classic Corvette Investment. He is a small dealer in Michigan.
Thanks,
Scott

I personally don't know him, or have talked to him, but I believe I've seen many of his cars for sale on various sites, including ebay. They look like very nice, top quality cars from the pictures, and if this is the same guy I am thinking of.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Harps, not sure if this is the guy you are referring to, Bob Sharon runs a very small shop, although perhaps he has grown.

So small in fact that I was suprised to see this as a topic - try Googling on him or the shop's name, chances are you won't find him or his website (he has one I could link you to, but I am on the road via Blackberry right now).

My 65 went through his hands back in the mid-90s, I came to learn from a title search. After finally tracking him down, I spoke with him, he remembered the car but wasn't all that informative. I understand that the car was "cleaned and flipped" but have no idea as to how honestly it was presented by him. He struck me as old-school honest. He is an older gentleman.

Last edited by ctjackster; 12-14-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:10 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I inspected a '67 convertible at his shop for a potential buyer about two years ago that he advertised as an "all numbers-matching original investment-grade car". Turned out to have a buggered-up replaced VIN tag, one-piece front clip, interior color change, and two pages single-spaced of wrong parts on it. Don't know if that's representative of cars he's handled since, but that experience wasn't confidence-inspiring.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:12 PM
steemin
Burning Brakes

Bob's shop is only a couple of hours from me so I thought I would check it out.
I spoke with him briefly and he does come across as "Old School honest" He is a dealer but it is a "small part-time retiree deal" for him.
He is a retired from the auto industry (Damlier Chrysler I believe).
Just curious if anyone has ever had any dealings with him before I go see him next week..
Scott
Old 12-14-2006, 12:19 PM
steemin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I inspected a '67 convertible at his shop for a potential buyer about two years ago that he advertised as an "all numbers-matching original investment-grade car". Turned out to have a buggered-up replaced VIN tag, one-piece front clip, interior color change, and two pages single-spaced of wrong parts on it. Don't know if that's representative of cars he's handled since, but that experience wasn't confidence-inspiring.
Hmmm. Interesting.
That is dissappointing news.
I had hoped that I would get some good feedback.
Thank you for your input.
I will proceed with caution.:
Scott
Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Scott I live 5 minutes from his shop. Have looked at a couple of his cars and I would say he deals in drivers at best. So if your looking for a show car I would say you'll be dissapointed.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:29 PM
BobzVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by steemin
Hmmm. Interesting.
That is dissappointing news.
I had hoped that I would get some good feedback.
Thank you for your input.
I will proceed with caution.:
Scott
Good decision to proceed with caution...as you should with any DEALER!!! : : :
Old 12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
steemin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Injected Stingray
Hi Scott I live 5 minutes from his shop. Have looked at a couple of his cars and I would say he deals in drivers at best. So if your looking for a show car I would say you'll be dissapointed.
Having not seen his cars in person yet I can tell you that they are priced considerably less than the other dealers cars.
Who knows if they are "fair deals" or not. That is why I am going to check him out.
At any rate I am looking for what I would call a High end driver.
I suppose some might take this type of car to shows?
I want great cosmetics..paint,interior,chrome and stainless,detailed under the hood.
As well as excellent mechanicals. I want everything to work well.
And finally most importantly I want a car with a solid frame,birdcage and body.
As far as a perfect NCRS numbers matching show car that is not what I desire at this point. Maybe someday
Thanks again for everyones input. It is much appreciated
Scott
Old 12-14-2006, 01:06 PM
PeteZ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
He struck me as old-school honest. He is an older gentleman.
Hey Jack,

You young whipper-snapper you. Sheessh, I just want to let you know that I'm one of those 'older gentlemen.' These days I'm very sure about the 'older' part ... the 'gentleman' part seems evasive to me though .

Sorry, I just could not help remark about my advanced state of 'advancement.' .

Best Regards,

PeteZ .
Old 12-14-2006, 01:20 PM
woolooloo
Advanced

Steemin - sent you a PM, thanks!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:56 PM
oneputt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About 4 years ago I drove up to his shop to check out a 64 convertible he had for sale. He seemed like a pretty nice guy. So I took the car out for a test drive and he wouldnt let me drive it over 35 or 40 mph, I dont know why. After about 10 minutes of driving he steered me back to the shop. I was planning on a little longer test drive, at least to see if there was any overheating issues. Anyway, when we got back he put it on a lift to look underneath and oil must have been leaking because there was oil covering a lot of the undercarriage. I took a pass on the car. What struck me funny was he had it advertisied as the nicest 64 in the country. Not.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:58 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

He used to list most of his cars on Ebay but I haven't seen him lately. I believe he used to deal primarily in mid-years but maybe he has changed and that is why I don't see him much anymore.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:09 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

He has this listed on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-14-2006, 10:08 PM
Warped Head
Advanced

He does advertise on TraderOnline's website:

http://ww2.collectorcartraderonline....ite.php?777390

Here's his home page:

http://home.comcast.net/~rsharon6/
Old 12-15-2006, 12:27 AM
67redster
Intermediate

Bought a 67 vinyl covered hardtop from him several years ago. It was better than described and he was a stand-up guy through-out. Check out his ebay feedback. I think he goes by 66sting.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZ
Hey Jack,

You young whipper-snapper you. Sheessh, I just want to let you know that I'm one of those 'older gentlemen.' These days I'm very sure about the 'older' part ... the 'gentleman' part seems evasive to me though .

Sorry, I just could not help remark about my advanced state of 'advancement.' .

Best Regards,

PeteZ .
Hiya Pete!

I might not have done a perfect job conveying my sense about him - as another posted, he started the shop AFTER retiring from the auto biz, and I got the sense he did not retire early; and he struck me as "older" even at the time of this conversation (were I just talking to a freind of siilar age to mine (43) I might even have used the word "elderly").

In other words, this operation is something he does alsmost as a hobby in his retirement. He is surely no PeteZ!

I see that warpedhead posted a link to his web page - I have that link too, hard as hell to find by mere google searching, at least it used to be so.

Get notified of new replies

To Bob Sharon.."Classic Corvette Investment"

Old 12-15-2006, 12:43 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
...this operation is something he does alsmost as a hobby in his retirement...
Wow...for a hobby, that's quite an inventory he's maintaining. I counted 10 Corvettes for sale.

Last edited by kbuhagiar; 12-15-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Rumblegutz
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 150 Posts

I bought a mid year soft-top frame from Bob through an eBay auction a few years ago. I had asked about rust, particularly in the header. He was evasive at best, which I should have viewed as a red flag. Drove 4 hours to pick it up. Paid top dollar as I owed it to a buddy and I wanted that cleared up.

The frame in the auction was bare. The one I picked up had an old white top on it. I was dim enough that I didn’t realize it until unloading it at home. Checked the auction and the photos were of a bare frame. I stripped the top off the frame I purchased and low and behold it had a rotted header bow. Contacted Bob who was offended that I point out that the top in the auction and the top I picked up did not appear to be the same one. I was stuck with it. Bottom line I did not perform due diligence and I made an error in trusting this seller.

My first Corvette was a 1962 2 top 300hp 4 spd that was white with a red interior. White isn’t a color I would look for but this car could have been puke green and I would have bought it. I have always had a soft spot for 62’s and white with red interior and hard top always catch my eye. I spoke with a fellow that reached that point in his life where he had bought his dream car. The car he bought was a white ’62 with red interior. He bought it from Bob in an eBay auction. Closing the deal he asked if there was a hard top to go with it. He was willing to pay additional for a hard top. Buyer was on the West Coast and felt it would be much simpler for him to have the car shipped with a hard top rather than have one shipped separately from where ever he might find one. Bob said he didn’t buy the car with one. Further he didn’t have one Some weeks following the sale of the car Bob ran an auction for white ’62 hard top.

This did not come as a surprise to me as I had been watching his auctions following my experience. Hard tops, soft tops, spares, jacks, jack handles, radios were the most prevalent items offered at auction on eBay by 66sting weeks after the auctioning of a car of the same year. Or so it would appear.

Due diligence may not protect one entirely but it can’t hurt and it may help.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:04 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Rumblegutz,
Very good observations on your part. Thanks for the heads up...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bob Sharon.."Classic Corvette Investment"