Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Hendrick Chevy [Dispute]

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Hendrick Chevy [Dispute]

Let me start by saying that Rick Daniel has been good to work with and still has some of the best prices in the South.
I bought a Centennial Edition Z06 from Rick on 12-3-11. I now have 378 miles on the Z (200 driving home from the dealership). This week I noticed a bad place on the edge of my drivers side rear rim. The edge of the rim is pitted and broken. I took some pics and sent to Rick of the rim. Talking to Rick, he said Rick Hendrick would have the rim repaired. At Rick's request, I took the car to a local dealer, Billy Lawrence Chevy in Eufaula, for a second opinion before I drove to Atlanta 3 hours away. The service manager there inspected the rim and tire and called Rick to say the damage was not caused by curb rash (the tire is unmarked...even still has the tire shine from Rick Hendrick). It was the service manager's opinion that this was probably a factory defect. Rick said to bring the car in and they would handle it. I'm still a happy camper.
Before I left, the sales manager (George Clark) of Rick Hendrick called me and said there was nothing wrong with the rim when I picked it up and Rick Hendrick would not replace the rim, but only cover $175 to help me out with repairs. When I said that I have not hit anything to cause the damage, he raised his voice at me and asked repeatedly if I was calling him a liar. I told him I was not calling him a liar, but explained that the local service manager had decided it was probably a manufacturing defect. But I did state that I would not drive 3 hours to be pissed off because he would not replace the rim (or even cover the whole repair charge if neccessary). He told me to take the car to my local dealer if they said it was a defect. I did, and they contacted the GM Rep who said to replace the rim. The GM Rep and my local dealer have provided great customer service.
I do not think that anyone at Rick Hendrick was lying about the rim. I should have looked closer. I do think that maybe there was a small stress fracture (cause unknown) in the rim when I picked it up. Although not visible, just driving it home could have caused the fracture to split. I looked at a picture the day after purchase and could see the damaged rim.
But the customer relations displayed by the sales manager was totally unacceptable. Would I buy another car from Rick Hendrick? Not as long as George Clark is the Sales Manager there.
There I feel better. I'm pleased with the great customer service of my local dealer and the GM Rep. Now if I can just get a new Centennial Rim (none in stock).
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

The two interactions I had with the dealership did not leave a good taste in my mouth. First was when I was looking to buy a car. The sales staff came off as pushy and disinterested in anything but selling a car. I went to Jim Ellis which is a good size Corvette dealer which was such a pleasurable experience.

The second interaction was while driving around on the weekend and a check engine light came on. I was a mile from the Hendrick dealership and stopped to see if they could read the code in case it was a bigger issue. The service guys were not at all interested in helping even though they had no customers waiting and were screwing around. The suggested I leave the car and they would get to it later. Took a long time explaining that we were 25 miles from home and had no way of just leaving the car.

I would never give them actual business as there are much better dealers to work with in Atlanta.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Kevin_NYC
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the Z06 Centenial

Don't let this bozo sales mgr leave a bitter feel about ur new ride; ur issue will be corrected

Rick will see this and should pay & throw in a nice gift: ie, $300 oem car cover

Bad PR is bad PR
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by DENS TOY
Anyone from Hendrick Chevrolet,how about a reply.
I am always VERY interested in the "other" side of the story. So far, since I have tracked vendor/private forum seller disputes (started in 2004) it has been 88% in favor of the "other" side of the story. Curious to see how this one fares.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Racer
I am always VERY interested in the "other" side of the story. So far, since I have tracked vendor/private forum seller disputes (started in 2004) it has been 88% in favor of the "other" side of the story. Curious to see how this one fares.
What "other side" are we talking about? Do you think that George would say that my write-up was untrue?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by arcticblast
What "other side" are we talking about? Do you think that George would say that my write-up was untrue?
Just speaking from years of experience watching these threads. Hey maybe you are the 12%.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:02 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

David, so sorry to hear this. I hope someone takes care of the issue and gets the new rim to you. You guys coming to the Bash? Can't wait to see the new Z. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Let me start by saying that Rick Daniel has been good to work with and still has some of the best prices in the South.
I bought a Centennial Edition Z06 from Rick on 12-3-11. I now have 378 miles on the Z (200 driving home from the dealership). This week I noticed a bad place on the edge of my drivers side rear rim. The edge of the rim is pitted and broken. I took some pics and sent to Rick of the rim. Talking to Rick, he said Rick Hendrick would have the rim repaired. At Rick's request, I took the car to a local dealer, Billy Lawrence Chevy in Eufaula, for a second opinion before I drove to Atlanta 3 hours away. The service manager there inspected the rim and tire and called Rick to say the damage was not caused by curb rash (the tire is unmarked...even still has the tire shine from Rick Hendrick). It was the service manager's opinion that this was probably a factory defect. Rick said to bring the car in and they would handle it. I'm still a happy camper.
Before I left, the sales manager (George Clark) of Rick Hendrick called me and said there was nothing wrong with the rim when I picked it up and Rick Hendrick would not replace the rim, but only cover $175 to help me out with repairs. When I said that I have not hit anything to cause the damage, he raised his voice at me and asked repeatedly if I was calling him a liar. I told him I was not calling him a liar, but explained that the local service manager had decided it was probably a manufacturing defect. But I did state that I would not drive 3 hours to be pissed off because he would not replace the rim (or even cover the whole repair charge if neccessary). He told me to take the car to my local dealer if they said it was a defect. I did, and they contacted the GM Rep who said to replace the rim. The GM Rep and my local dealer have provided great customer service.
I do not think that anyone at Rick Hendrick was lying about the rim. I should have looked closer. I do think that maybe there was a small stress fracture (cause unknown) in the rim when I picked it up. Although not visible, just driving it home could have caused the fracture to split. I looked at a picture the day after purchase and could see the damaged rim.
But the customer relations displayed by the sales manager was totally unacceptable. Would I buy another car from Rick Hendrick? Not as long as George Clark is the Sales Manager there.
There I feel better. I'm pleased with the great customer service of my local dealer and the GM Rep. Now if I can just get a new Centennial Rim (none in stock).
Interesting. Unless the Sales Manager has the Service Department reporting to him why the hell is he even involving himself in a service department issue? Personally, I wouldn't even bothered calling Rick Daniels. He is a sales guy and just like every other new car salesman I have dealt with over the last 46 years I would consider him out of the loop on all service related items. I would have just talked to a Service Person at the dealership since they are the ones that make the decisions.

Bill
Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I won't go into details (too long) but my experience with them was not a good one! Most stemmed from the salesman! Anyway, with help of two women (customer relations) from two different Hendrick dealerships... the problems have been finally resolved!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Texas08C6
David, so sorry to hear this. I hope someone takes care of the issue and gets the new rim to you. You guys coming to the Bash? Can't wait to see the new Z. Good luck!
Lisa,
We plan to be there. Look forward to seeing you again, too. (and the improved ZR1)
How is the leg?
David
Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Interesting. Unless the Sales Manager has the Service Department reporting to him why the hell is he even involving himself in a service department issue? Personally, I wouldn't even bothered calling Rick Daniels. He is a sales guy and just like every other new car salesman I have dealt with over the last 46 years I would consider him out of the loop on all service related items. I would have just talked to a Service Person at the dealership since they are the ones that make the decisions.

Bill
Bill, you're right. Maybe this should have been my course of action.
Rick is a good salesman and had asked me to contact him with any concerns, so I did.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 PM
Groundgrubs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not trying to get on the bandwagon here, but I bought my 2008 C6 there in July. All was good with the transaction. They agreed to tint the windows for $250. (a Bargain).
On the way home, less than 5 mins, I noticed a glass chip right behind the mirror. EZ to Miss. I called my salesperson, and he said they would handle it Monday when I came in for tint and fix a couple scratches.
Came in Monday (picked it up Friday), he took it in back fixed the scratches, and came out to tell they are behind on the tint so it would be another day. Kinda missed asking about chip since I was there 3 hours and still had to come back.
I came back next day, was there 7 hours waiting, he came out said it was done, and "mentioned" that the cost would be over $450, BUT he honored the $250 we agreed to.
MY FAULT - I never checked the chip in the window, and it is still not fixed.
Live and learn i guess.

It was my first Corvette, and although it's not a new $60,000 monster, it's paid for and all mine.

Frankly - loved the beginning, the middle, End was not so good as they just didn't do what they say completely.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

When I took delivery of my 11GS in March, I found when I got home a light scratch on the clear top. Brought it back the next day and the salesmen and the sales manager told me it was my fault and they couldn't do anything for me. The scratch was only noticeable in the right light. Found out that if they replaced it, the cost would come from the sales budget. A few months later, brought it in for the 1st oil change, mentioned the scratch to the service writer, he told me to write it down in the survey that they and GM sent which I did. A few days later, the service manager emailed me and said he would replace the top under warranty.

My point is, maybe you should have talked to the service manager and not the sales people. It appears that once the car leaves the lot, the sales people do not want anything else to do with it. Not a good way to run a business and try to get return customers.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yeah, that is what he's saying and guess what? Sometimes it does happen.

But tell us this: why would you go to the service manager at your local dealer and the sales manager at hendrick?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It certainly would have made it easier if the bad wheel had been discovered before plunking down the money...replacement would have been a no-brainer then. This should be a lesson to everyone to go over the car methodically, even make up a checklist, before paying and signing, especially when the selling dealership is not close to home....
Old 12-15-2011, 11:46 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to believe there is an "other side". If you missed it when you picked the car up, chances are real good that the dealer missed it too.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have worked as a Lot Boy, a Mechanic, a Bodyman, a Service writer, a Slalesman and ownwed my own repair shop. Have I had unhappy customers? Guess. Most issues are solved easy. Sometimes men have issues. Depending on how each one approaches the other, it can be simple to solve. Money usually is not the issue. A puffed up chest can build a wall. Going over someones head can build a wall. Saying things you reget can build a wall. Then the stuff really hits the fan. Don't believe me?
Anyone that has been married for a few years, knows exactly how it goes down. And thats with someone you love. Holly Crap.
Any dealership that has sold as many cars as Hendrick, Kerbeck and a bunch I don't know, have thousands of happy customers. I few gang up on a powerful site like this Forum, can paint a picture that hurts. People need to be responsible to what they say. Would you tell the World how your wife messed up? If men would sit down a talk with respect to each other, there are no problems in this World. My .02.

Get notified of new replies

To Hendrick Chevy [Dispute]

Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 AM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any Business people here? Ever had that customer that worked you to death from the time he came in the door? Worked you and three other business against each other? You wanted to tell him to take a hike, but your sence of trying to the end, would not let up. Acted like the World evolved around him. They are out there. It is a loose /loose situation if you go the route. It can happen. The other side is not always so apparent. Not saying this is what happened. Just don't consider a situation as cut and dry. Always another side.
I tend to defend people who do me right. Just the way I am.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:00 AM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had pretty good experiences with the salesmen, it's the sales managers or business managers that **** me off. I've never met one, that, I'd even want to have a beer with. They are very shrewd, manipulative people. I just recently bought a used Chevy Silverado and was trying to get the price down a little bit, since I was paying cash. The sales manager quoted me the "Kelley Blue Book" value of the truck and said they would lose too much money on it, if they lowered the price a few thousand. I literally laughed in his face and told him to pull out his "official" trade in/ resale book. After a while, we agreed on a decent price for both of us, which, was a few thousand less than he originally wanted. I was ready to walk, though.
As to my Vette. The salesman was good and informative and very excited about me buying a Vette. We had bought three SUV's from him in the past and the Vette was quite a change for me. The sales manager wasn't aggressive at all. In fact, he was almost not interested in selling anything extra. I did purchase the GMPP and got a good price, but, again, he didn't push for it. The service department was adequate, meaning that they were dependable and took care of anything that was needed. But, nothing major ever came up with any vehicle, so it's a moot point.
Unfortunately, they went out of business in 2010.
I feel bad for people, who, get shafted by dealers and or service depts.
It's kind of like you're the fish taking the bait ( from the salesman) and the rest set the hook and you're screwed.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles but there is one thing I do not understand. that is, why did you even put your self in this situation? Sounds like the 2nd dealership confirmed it was a defect, contacting GM and GM approved to replace the rim right?

Why even go through Hendrick? Just have the dealership who seemed very willing to help you take care of the issue.

Sure, the treatment from Hendrick doesn't sound right but to Racer's point I'd like to hear the others guys side to get the facts out but regardless, its a factory defect and there is no rule that the dealership you buy it from has to service it.

Take it with a grain of salt, either way you'll get a new rim, it just feels like your being over sensative to Hendrick's.

No dealership is perfect but smearing their name as well as calling out an individual on a public forum is wrong in my opinion. Dealing with it on a one on one basis is always better.

If I was Hendrick and more to the point the guy you called out, no way would I help you any longer if it was my issue or not.