Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Rick Hendrick Chevy [Dispute]

Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ryker
"we inspect it so you don't have to"

"engine, chassis, right down to the floor mats"

"no worries"

"Better than used like new"

Full pictures and a highly detailed response will be updated Sunday or Monday.
I believe that this question has been asked but not answered, "Did you look at this car before you bought it ?"
If the answere is ,"no", then why didn't you?
If the answere is ,"yes", then why did you drive off with it when it was obviously flawed?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 PM
ryker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asked and answered- I trusted the product that I was sold. The car was supposed to be fully and correctly inspected. A person should be able to buy a GM certified car sight unseen and have it delivered. As noted by my local dealer and GM the defects are not acceptable and should have been re

"we inspect it do you don't have to"
"industry best"
"no worries"

$5000 in repairs and parts

What gets me is dealer says all of those defects was inspected and those are acceptable.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 AM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

car looks pretty bad off in the pics. The bottom one though, where you mention 'no clear coat' on the bottom of the front fender - yours is way better off than mine- and mine was certified as well.

It might be because yours is white and mine is orange, but that curved corner down there is more grey than orange for me now. I inspected the car closely when I bought it, but a big coat of wax covers a lot of embarrassing detail, especially with the concrete reflection from below.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The consumer shouldn't have to be the highly trained technician. If the car is certified, the consumer should have the confidence in the dealer to buy it sight unseen and not have to have a second dealer verify that the car is qualified to be "excellent". That's why the consumer is willing to pay the extra cost as he should have 100% confidence that the car is indeed "excellent". Does not matter if the car is an Aveo or a Corvette.

I had the same issue with Reedman Toll Auto in Langhorne, Pa. I was looking for a low mileage, pristine 2006 vert in Monterey Red with 6 spd. They had one on the floor in their showroom, with 14,000 miles, almost every option, and it was "GM Certified". Since it was almost 2 hours from my home, and quite a bit farther to my mechanics shop, I figured it was OK. That couldn't be farther from the truth. My mechanic put it on a lift and found all kinds of damage to the underside, although no suspension parts seemed to be damaged or replaced.After closer examination, we figured the hood had been repainted. The dealer confirmed this after pressing him about it. There were some very light scratches on the bumper just in front of the hood, so it appeared it was from some front end impact. They denied everything, but it was pretty obvious something had happened to the car, and things were NOT REPAIRED AS THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN UNDER THE 172 POINT CERTIFICATION CHECK. The only way to see this was with the car on a lift. However, as JoesC5 points out, a consumer buying a "certified" vehicle from an authorized GM dealer should not have to get a second opinion. This is all just BS.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
Another case of putting the cart before the horse. Buying certified doesn't relinquish you from doing your part before the purchase.

Caveat Emptor, which really means ' In God I Trust, All Others Pay Cash '
I disagree. The CPO program is designed to assure a higher standard. Whether the buyer missed the damage himself is not the point. The point is that CPO cars are sold as such for a reason, and they almost always command a premium price to cover the cost of certifying them.

It's just too easy to blame the buyer when the dealer is advertising (in writing) that "we inspect it so you don't have to". The dealer did not advertise "we inspected it so you don't have to, but if you miss what we missed, then you are responsible not us".

From a legal standpoint, was the cars sold "As is" or not? That is a legal term used all the time on used cars sold by dealers.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

compare your damage to the 172 point inspection checklist.

When I bought a car GM certified I received the checklist along with the actual GM Tech that did the work.

Just from memory - The inspection checked wear items more then cosmetic items.

So if your brakes are worn out then you may have recourse.

Cosmetic stuff? Good luck with that. Should have opened your eyes.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:37 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2toys
A certified GM vehicle should not require a buyer to initiate an exhaustive inspection or compel them to request an "outside" opinion.
but shouldn't the buyer at least "look' the car over before driving away?
Did ryker point out the defects to the dealer before driving off?
The pics show "obvious" defects and he still drove it off the lot.
I don't get why he drove it off the lot.
I really don't get why he won't explain why he drove it off.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by jschindler
I disagree. The CPO program is designed to assure a higher standard. Whether the buyer missed the damage himself is not the point. The point is that CPO cars are sold as such for a reason, and they almost always command a premium price to cover the cost of certifying them.

It's just too easy to blame the buyer when the dealer is advertising (in writing) that "we inspect it so you don't have to". The dealer did not advertise "we inspected it so you don't have to, but if you miss what we missed, then you are responsible not us".

From a legal standpoint, was the cars sold "As is" or not? That is a legal term used all the time on used cars sold by dealers.
I blame both, just because something is 'certified' doesn't relinquish you from doing your due diligence, at the same time, having a dealer certify something as inspected doesn't relinquish them from making repairs that were missed.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the GM Certified program come with a Bumper to Bumper Warranty?

Just checked, it does

http://www.gmcertified.com/?s_cid=Cr...|_gm_certified

12-Month/12,000-Mile
Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty

Every Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle comes equipped with our impressive 12-Month/12,000-Mile Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty. That's four times better coverage than Chrysler and Ford.

And

5-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty

Plus, every Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle from Chevy, Buick or GMC comes with a $0 deductible, transferable 5-Year/100,000-Mile2 Powertrain Limited Warranty, with roadside assistance and courtesy transportation. We believe in our vehicles and aren't afraid to stand behind them.

3-Day/150-Mile Customer Satisfaction Guarantee

Buying a vehicle is a big decision and we want to make sure that you are completely satisfied with your purchase of a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle from Chevy, Buick or GMC. So, if within the first three days or 150 miles (whichever comes first) of owning your vehicle you're not completely satisfied, bring it back to your dealer to exchange it for a vehicle that fits your needs.

So, I noticed that the OP hasn't mentioned ANY of these warranties, only rather, the defects and bashing the dealer, we get it, bad dealer, but now he's carrying on like a 10 year old that's been scolded. GM isn't going to lose in this, they will make a charge back to the dealer for these repairs, that's how it's done, so in the end, the dealer will pay anyway. The OP is getting his repairs, so why is this still an issue?

The bottom line is this car came with a warranty, it seems that the only reason this thread continues is to bash the dealer, we get it, people don't like dealers, dealers screw people, blah, blah, blah ........

My point in the post you qouted is simple, do your due diligence, regardless

Last edited by glenB; 01-08-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
ryker
Pro

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET

I don't care if this car was triple certified and had only been driven by a little ol lady to church once a week.
I WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN IT OFF THE LOT.
ryker just won't answer the question, "Why in the world did you drive it off the lot"?Now that the picsare posted, I do truly feel that you got screwed, no doubt what so ever and I truly hope that the dealer makes it all good.
But am I the only one here that wonders why you won't answer the question that I posed???

I did answer it already. I trusted the corvette super center and GM certified process. In that they properly inspected and reconditioned the car as it is claimed!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

I did answer it already. I trusted the corvette super center and GM certified process. In that they properly inspected and reconditioned the car as it is claimed!
So you drove it home after seeing the obvious damage because it was "certified"?
You didn't walk away because it was "certified"?
You didn't point out the damage because it was "certified"?
Guess you "trusted" the GM certified process more than you trusted your own eyes and brain.
Sorry to tell you this, but IMO you F'd up.
I just hope you can get it all corrected.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
ryker
Pro

Originally Posted by RUBYREDVET
So you drove it home after seeing the obvious damage because it was "certified"?
You didn't walk away because it was "certified"?
You didn't point out the damage because it was "certified"?
Guess you "trusted" the GM certified process more than you trusted your own eyes and brain.
Sorry to tell you this, but IMO you F'd up.
I just hope you can get it all corrected.
Damaged was noticed days later. When I was crawling around hand washing the car.

Note to self- carry work clothing and tools and spend hours re-inspecting a gm "industry best factory standards we inspect it all do you don't have to" before buying a gm certified car.

About to go shopping- is it ok that I buy a box of cereal without trusting the box contains what I paid for?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Do you have a case with customer assistance? Please feel free to contact me with more information for further assistance. Thank you in advance.
Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM
ryker
Pro

If it should have been obvious to me then why did a highly trained technician miss it?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:01 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

If it should have been obvious to me then why did a highly trained technician miss it?
Maybe cause the tech wasn't buying the car.
I believe that you said it was so obvious that even Stevie Wonder couldn't have missed it.
Now you want us to believe that you didn't discover it for a few days. How bout the dash. Missed that too?
I can't answer why a tech didn't see it, but i think you know the answer. Hopefully the dealer or GM will respond and make it right. IMO the dealer should do that. If it doesn't get resolved, you learned an expensive lesson.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 791 Likes on 383 Posts

Good point. No excuse for this whatsoever. NONE.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only read this forum now for these many comical "issues" that members come up with....everyone always wants to blame someone else for their own shortcomings in life...this one is "it's not my fault I bough this car" "I was scammed" just like all those home owners blaming "predator type lending" for thier stupidity...classic...
Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell ZR1
I only read this forum now for these many comical "issues" that members come up with....everyone always wants to blame someone else for their own shortcomings in life...this one is "it's not my fault I bough this car" "I was scammed" just like all those home owners blaming "predator type lending" for thier stupidity...classic...
Russell, I think you and some others need to look at this one from a different perspective. If this had been a new car would you still think it's the buyers fault? Even if a buyer misses something, I think everyone here would take a new car back to be fixed if they got the car home and discovered flaws that should not have been there.

That is the whole point of the CPO program - to assure buyers that the car has been checked out and CERTIFIED.... see that word "certified" - what do ya'll think that word means? It means the buyers is protected. Why some folks think this is a matter of the buyer blaming the dealer for what he missed is beyond me. I'm truly curious as to what you think "certified" is supposed to mean if it's not to cover things like this.

I'm not one of these "blame the dealer" or anyone else people, but I do see myself as someone who can evaluate each situation and see right from wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Rick Hendrick Chevy [Dispute]

Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 PM
ryker
Pro

Local dealership is removing the dash this week. They have been very professional in this.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

No, the dealership is not having me come in. In fact they never even asked to look at the car. I was offered a car wash "make you happy".

GM customer service is moving the issue up to the next level customer service regional manager. "has more authority"
Interesting, the post he made would indicate otherwise...but I would tend to agree.. if by "come in" he meant for a car wash, then yea that's not really doing much. It's interesting to me Hendrick has not posted up a response yet.

I think alot of people are arguing over what "certified used" or whatever means... in theory and on paper the concept is a good idea... problem we really face is anyone who's been around here knows what a joke the average dealer is , especially when it comes to Corvettes. Weekly we read of bad dealerships, it's just that simple (and sad)

Heck, GM has a rep on this forum now to help take care of some of these problems.

How many horror stories have we read here where the Dealer "tech" (and that term used very loosely at best lol ) screwed up an oil change on a Dry Sump oil system?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Rick HendrickAtlanta

[QUOTE=FrankTank;1579694653]Interesting, the post he made would indicate otherwise...but I would tend to agree.. if by "come in" he meant for a car wash, then yea that's not really doing much. It's interesting to me Hendrick has not posted up a response yet.

QUOTE]

Please forgive me for not responding sooner. I was out of the office on Sat. and Sun. due to a bad cold and was just covered up on Mon. First off I did not sell this car and have never met the OP. After reading this entire thread two issues come to mind. First I believe the OP should have checked out the car before making his purchase. Having said that I understand his point about the GM Certified Program and not needing to do his inspection. The OP did contact us and informed us that he was taking his car to his local dealer for repairs and that GM was working with him to resolve his issues. Since all problems seemed to be taken care of at that point we ask him what else we could do for him to try and make him happy, he responded that he did not know, so we offered to do a complete detail on his car and pay him a few hundred bucks for his problems. He then ask that we pay him half of the markup we had placed on his trade in, trade in value to retail value, we declined. We always try to make every customer completely satisfied with their purchase but sometimes this is just not possible. Case in point, back in Oct. we had a forum member that purchased a used Z06 from us sight unseen, we delivered his car to him and after a few days he contacted me a said he was not happy with his car. We gave him every penny back in trade for another Z06 that he is now very happy with.

Search this Thread