Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Rick Hendrick Chevy [Dispute]

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
ryker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rick Hendrick Chevy [Dispute]

We're taking No Worries™
to a whole new level

Dash Pad dealer cost $2100.00 plus 3-5 days labor. "world class"

Item number 25- dash pad
Item number 29- instrument panel/cover/pad

Rick Hendrick Chevrolet is a “World Class” Sales and Service center supporting the greater Northeast Georgia...Our business philosophy is built around what we call the “Hendrick Advantage”. Our mission is to provide our customers with a dealer experience that is second to none through teamwork, trust and respect, a commitment to customer enthusiasm and accountability at all levels of our business.

172-Point Vehicle Inspection and
Reconditioning Process
This is not your regular, everyday used vehicle. Certified status is a name that is earned, and it is earned only by meeting our strict, factory-set standards. If it doesn't pass, your Certified Chevy, Buick or GMC dealer completely reconditions it

We check it, so you don't have to.completely reconditions it

We check it, so you don't have to.

http://www.gmcertified.com/used-car-inspection

Our detailed, 172-Point Vehicle Inspection and Reconditioning Process is one of the toughest hurdles in the industry. Before any Chevy, Buick, GMC, Pontiac or Saturn vehicle earns the title of Certified Pre-Owned, it must pass all of our rigorous standards first. Our 172-Point Vehicle Inspection and Reconditioning Process is conducted only by highly trained technicians and adheres to strict, factory-set standards to ensure that every vehicle's engine, chassis and body is in excellent condition. And we do check it all. From the engine block to the shocks, right down to the floor mats, no part is overlooked. If it fails a single point, we completely recondition it—or it won't be Certified.

Item number 36 Recondition surface chips/scratches

"If it fails a single point, we completely recondition it—or it won't be Certified"

Item number 6 battery voltage- car wouldn't even start for test drive. After a 2 hour trip home from the dealer with one stop the car would just start. Three days later no start at all. Dealership is supposed to refund the cost of a new battery- has yet to happen.

"you bought a used car" The car was not sold as a used car it was claimed to be pass all of our rigorous standards first. [/U]Our 172-Point Vehicle Inspection and Reconditioning Process is conducted only by highly trained technicians and adheres to strict, factory-set standards to ensure that every vehicle's engine, chassis and body is in excellent condition.

The local dealer has told us that no paint damage is acceptable during the GM certified process. Hendricks implies the local dealer is lieing because the are competition. He is contacting the terrority manager. Claim has been started with GM customer service. Clark Howard and the BBB will also be contacted.

item 163 emblems.

highly trained technicians and adheres to strict, factory-set standards to ensure that every vehicle's engine, chassis and body is in excellent condition. And we do check it all. From the engine block to the shocks, right down to the floor mats, no part is overlooked. If it fails a single point, we completely recondition it—or it won't be Certified.

Clear coat is gone.

Purchase one of our Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles and you'll get something you never thought possible: new car confidence with a used car price tag.
And we do check it all. From the engine block to the shocks, right down to the floor mats, no part is overlooked. If it fails a single point, we completely recondition it—or it won't be Certified.

Yes, Rick Hendricks offered to make me a happy customer. But it was clear that they think all of this is accpetable "we did nothing wrong, we delivered what we sold" I was offered a car wash "several hundreds dollars in value we will clean everything"

Last edited by ryker; 01-08-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: updates
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Another case of putting the cart before the horse. Buying certified doesn't relinquish you from doing your part before the purchase.

Caveat Emptor, which really means ' In God I Trust, All Others Pay Cash '
Old 01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
Another case of putting the cart before the horse. Buying certified doesn't relinquish you from doing your part before the purchase.

Caveat Emptor, which really means ' In God I Trust, All Others Pay Cash '
I think the OP is basically saying the Dealer (and by extension, the GM "certified" product being advertised) is not living up to their end of the bargain - something he ostensibly paid for. The "Certified" label is in essence a warranty: a warranty that you're purchasing a car without predictable or visible defect...

This is analogous to paying for an extended GMPP warranty and finding out you were never covered in the first place.

Services and implied warranty promised != services rendered.

Hope you get it worked out, OP. Just like buying a house, no matter how diligent the buyer is, there's always defects you miss during the process. If the Dealer is slapping the "certified" label on any used car without actually inspecting it, this is fraud in my opinion and I'd like to know who to avoid. Dealers have a bad enough reputation as-is, I don't want to patronize one that is blatantly lying to you.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by ryker
Thanks- I placed value in the gm certified process and paid for it. Otherwise I could have just went to the auction.
Try to work it out with the dealer first. If you don't think your getting anywhere with them, you can contact Justin at Chevy Customer Service and log a complaint.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...-cust-svc.html
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM
kmthor00
Burning Brakes

I bought a certified gm impala that after delivery it was discovered it was just taken in on trade & never certified! But the dealer made goid & put on new tires, alignment & battery after i complained.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM
ryker
Pro

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Try to work it out with the dealer first. If you don't think your getting anywhere with them, you can contact Justin at Chevy Customer Service and log a complaint.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...-cust-svc.html
Thanks for the contact person.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

GM certified used = 1 year bumper to bumper warranty + 5 year powertrain.

I don't know that GM has anything to do with inspections, but the dealership pays for certification on each car, something like 500-750$ if I recall.

There are also guidelines about tire tread depth and break pad life to be certified. If they fall below certain thresholds, then the stuff has to be replaced. My 2007 certified had 4 brand new tires when I bought it and has already had warranty work done worth more than any extra sticker price.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:06 AM
Gerdia
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still don't understand why you took delivery of the car, If I'm buying a brand new car and it has paint issues or any issues, I will look for another car. Just because it has a warranty doesn't mean I'll buy it then fight later. Was this purchase site unseen? or did you just look at the GM "certified" window sticker and think your safe because its certified.
Good luck, I hope it comes out to your satisfaction.

p.s. I'm not blasting you here, not my intent at all.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerdia
I still don't understand why you took delivery of the car, If I'm buying a brand new car and it has paint issues or any issues, I will look for another car. Just because it has a warranty doesn't mean I'll buy it then fight later. Was this purchase site unseen? or did you just look at the GM "certified" window sticker and think your safe because its certified.
Good luck, I hope it comes out to your satisfaction.

p.s. I'm not blasting you here, not my intent at all.
I was wondering the exact same thing. OP, could you please clear up how the vehicle purchase took place? Not bashing, but this just seems a little odd.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:54 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

I think you guys are being a little to harsh. True, the OP could have done better, and if you look at some of his other posts, well...

But the fact is, he was duped. How much of it was his fault for not being a careful consumer and how much was the selling dealer for misrepresenting the car is up for debate. I'd suggest that fault lies in both places. However only one party here actually lied. We can all take this as a lesson that CPO, regardless of make, really doesn't mean a whole lot other than you get a bit more warranty.

The OP got screwed, he's ticked-off (as we would all be) and he's venting. Let's show a little sympathy, OK?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:06 AM
ryker
Pro

A buyer at a large name dealership with the claim of a 172 point inspection should not be required to bring coveralls and inspection tools. The items I described could be missed by most people on a car lot inspection / walk around. But in no way in hell should it have been missed by the "expert technicians in our tough industry standard inspection".

When you have tire put on your car and pay for balance do you take them off and balance them yourself before paying?

A GM certified car is touted as the industry best. A person with no car experience should be able to trust what thu are told.

In this case the dealer has royal screwed over GM. Dealer pays a few bucks for gm certified and that car clearly has at least 3x that cost in parts to replace. Plus the complete destruction of the name recognition. Myself and many who have read this will not place any value in a "no worries" gm certified.

Yes, some blame on me within my trusting (gasp) the gm certified process as it claims I can. "we inspect so you dont have to".
Old 01-05-2012, 08:17 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

A buyer at a large name dealership with the claim of a 172 point inspection should not be required to bring coveralls and inspection tools. The items I described could be missed by most people on a car lot inspection / walk around. But in no way in hell should it have been missed by the "expert technicians in our tough industry standard inspection".

When you have tire put on your car and pay for balance do you take them off and balance them yourself before paying?

A GM certified car is touted as the industry best. A person with no car experience should be able to trust what thu are told.

In this case the dealer has royal screwed over GM. Dealer pays a few bucks for gm certified and that car clearly has at least 3x that cost in parts to replace. Plus the complete destruction of the name recognition. Myself and many who have read this will not place any value in a "no worries" gm certified.

Yes, some blame on me within my trusting (gasp) the gm certified process as it claims I can. "we inspect so you don't have to".

In a perfect world you should be able to trust a Certified car. But when have car dealers ever lived in a perfect world? You as a customer have NEVER seen or heard of dealerships being dishonest?

Why would a marketing gimmick like CPO be any different? Car dealers slap that marketing brand on it, mark up the price to cover their insurance policy with the manufacture and extra profit and sell the car.

Hmm.....dishonest dealerships, whoda thunk!!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

I'd like to hear the other side of the story. You previously praised the dealer for his responsiveness in paying for a replacement battery. What has Hendrick told you about the paint and other problems? Have you gotten Justin involved?

You get a copy of the 172 point inspection of used cars, point-by-point. A quick glance looks like the only thing dealing with the paint job is under the "Detailing" section where there is an item called "Recondition Surface Chips/Scratches". What is written on that item? Did anyone write "Service required"? Seems to me that is your basic issue. Whoever checked off that item assessed your road rash as normal, and whether that is really normal is the issue between you and the dealer. What does the dealer say "recondition" means?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After browsing the other threads you have started about this same car and reading this one. It sounds to me like there is no way you will be satisfied with this car and will not be happy irregardless of what the dealer does. (unless you get a full refund, which in highly unlikely since you have had it for a while now)

I thought you were wrong for calling the dealer out for the last problem and I also think you are handling this problem wrong as well.

Good Luck though, perhaps they will just refund your money

Bert

Roll Tide!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:28 PM
2toys
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
When you buy used....
The issue isn't quite that black and white. You're not buying a "used" vehicle. As the posters here of other brand vehicles have stated their cars were darn near indistinguishable from similar new units.

Having spent many years in the service dept. of "another" well respected GM dealer I had to sign off on numerous certification forms. We, the service dept. were caught between the used car manager and the dealer principle who wanted to spend the least amount of dollars possible and hope the customer didn't complain and if so wait out the 30 day period after the sale which is the dealers responsibility to correct/replace whatever did not met the required standards.

I could go into detail, but will not. if you chose not to believe me I could care less. What I do know is a certified vehicle is not a typical used car
and is priced accordingly.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

I can only imagine the fit this guy would be throwing if he had had my first GM Certified experience.

I traveled a good distance to buy a hard to find certified vehicle several years ago. Upon getting there, the car had obvious problems and had clearly not been through any sort of certification process. Regardless, it was nothing terrible and they were items that would be clearly covered under the certified warranty so I did the paperwork and drove it home.

Week or so later I went into my local dealership and was told the car had no CPE warranty. I didn't scream. I didn't even raise my voice. Just showed them the sales and GM paperwork and requested they start reviewing the problems. The service manager had the ***** to tell me far as he knew, I could have forged the paperwork and they weren't touching the car. Three managers at the dealership wouldn't even pick up the phone and call the dealer I bought the car from.

In the end after complaining a GM service rep cleaned things up and the warranty was finally on file about a month after my purchase date. I was directed to another local dealer that took care of everything, about $4,000 in repairs in total all said and done... including some small things I didn't notice.

I've been a life long GM supporter, and that car was my 5th new/used GM dealership purchase, not to mention 4 or so other used GM buys and tens of others I've influenced friends and family on.

5 years later and I am still pissed about it, my next new purchase was a Nissan with which I've had zero dealer or service problems with. I bought my C6 private party, because let's face it, there is no replacement for a Vette.

But the General has some work to do before a dealership sees my signature again.

Last edited by Slare; 01-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I feel bad for the OP but if I'm giving up my money in anyway I'll make sure I'm getting my money's worth out of it. I don't worry so much about a new car, however I do a detailed look over of new cars also before I leave the lot. If it isn't sunny out the I come back when it is.

Certified is supposed to mean something and I guess with some dealers that actually have integrity it does, however there are a bunch out there that will slap certified on the car and not do crap to it. It gives them a reason to charge above retail when in reality they probably bought it at an auction for below trade-in, cleaned it up a bit, checked for real obvious issues and then stick it on the lot.

Isn't there a 30 day buyback or something? If so that is probably what I would do if they won't fix the issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Rick Hendrick Chevy [Dispute]

Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM
ryker
Pro

I've started a claim with GM. They so far are great. Local Chevrolet dealer is also great. Dash and paint due to be repaired next week. A weeks worth of repairs.

The dealer I purchased from has bounced me around from "manager" to manager. The service director at first offered a car wash. Next day he moved up to 200.00. Asked for a higher level manager and have yet to get a return call.

I think the correct legal term would be fraud! F r a u d

I was sold a product and a service that was never done. "we inspect it so your don't have to". "Everything down to the floor mats". Everypart is reconditioned.

Next up will be full on name of dealership announcement on various web sites. Start a complaint with BBB.

Offered a car wash! Um the whole damn dash is to be removed. 3+ days of labor. Nothing is ever replaced like it was done on a factory assembly line. One or two paint chips, I could have dismissed but all four fenders and both doors as well as a chunk from the hood. A car wash!

I told them I wasn't looking to make them loose money and I take some blame in trusting a corvette super center big name dealership and the GM certified process. But to offer a car wash as compensation and not even a hint of apology.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Bought mine under the new "Certified Pre-owned Program" and added a deluxe GMPP. Took it in yesterday for non functioning Bi-Mode exhaust flaps only to find it's NOT covered!

My dealer said they will have GM pay for parts and labor so all I have to pay for is tax on the parts.

As always. do your homework and let the buyer beware!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Congrats on the resolution. I'm sure you learned something in the process, that is it is better to find defects before you actually buy the car instead of later. Take photos of the damage (I cannot remember if you posted them on this thread or not). The best thing you can do when you make a big purchase is slow down (besides doing research in the first place). Don't let anyone rush you. You have full control of the purchase until you pay for it.