Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

MacMulkin Chevrolet poor customer service

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 01:44 PM
tcbharley
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default MacMulkin Chevrolet poor customer service

I'm in the process of buying a car from these guys - I saw them talked about on this forum. I have sent my money, even though I have been passed around to 3 different employees and had several terse conversations. I was told the car would be shipped on a date and it didn't happen and told it would happen at a later time. At this point my latest person is busy everytime I call and won't return emails, voicemails or phone messages. I just want everyone to know the money you save by buying long distance may not be worth the hassle of dealing with these guys - because it looks like the minute they get your money whatever customer service they had goes out the window. So far I have dealt Kevin, Pete and Mark. Will keep you apprised in case you are considering buying from these guys. I'm sure we will get this resolved even if I have to go get it myself.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:20 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 01-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Z06Vert
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah that's a bit*h! That's probably the biggest fear I have with buying long distance. They ought to treat you like you live across the street.

That's why I am going to buy from a somewhat local (to me) dealer... might not get as big a discount but will certainly enjoy the savings in peace of mind.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. MacMulkin is now on the no buy list. You have to wonder if these people realize how much business this kind of word of mouth costs them.
But the fact is I have seen things at a lot of chevy dealers that made my toes curl.
I bought a corvette once from Palm Chevrolet. The Service department manager came out to tell me he had been in the business for thirty years and how he was pretty much the greatest thing since sliced bread.
On my second visit to the dealership (for the same issue} a service person came out to tell me that they were unable to complete the repair and I would need to schedule another visit. I said ok where's my car? She said she wasn't sure. Then suggested I use my fob alarm button to find it. I did and found my car at the far end of the lot near the paint shop. It was parked less than three inch's from the car next to it. And the interior was covered in some sort of dust.
I love the car but the dealerships are always a disappointment.
Whatever you do don't buy a Porsche. The quality of service and customer treatment are worlds apart.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:35 PM
tcbharley
Advanced

Still no return phone call. I called the shipping company and was told I never should have been given the logistical info the dealership gave me. They apologized and promised to stay in touch - which they have done. Got an email from first dealership employee stating at this time my car is still there. The dealership shipping "expert" has not returned my calls - three today alone.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Paws
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou7787
Thanks for the heads up. MacMulkin is now on the no buy list. You have to wonder if these people realize how much business this kind of word of mouth costs them.
But the fact is I have seen things at a lot of chevy dealers that made my toes curl.
I bought a corvette once from Palm Chevrolet. The Service department manager came out to tell me he had been in the business for thirty years and how he was pretty much the greatest thing since sliced bread.
On my second visit to the dealership (for the same issue} a service person came out to tell me that they were unable to complete the repair and I would need to schedule another visit. I said ok where's my car? She said she wasn't sure. Then suggested I use my fob alarm button to find it. I did and found my car at the far end of the lot near the paint shop. It was parked less than three inch's from the car next to it. And the interior was covered in some sort of dust.
I love the car but the dealerships are always a disappointment.
Whatever you do don't buy a Porsche. The quality of service and customer treatment are worlds apart.

I just purchased from them two weeks ago. My experience is in direct contrast to yours.

I thoroughly vet my dealers BEFORE purchase.

I flew in. I was picked up at the airport. The process to get me going on a 1600 mi ride back to Naples, Fl. was smooth and seamless. I've been doing deals for nearly 40 years. This transaction ranks among my top 5 EVER !!

This includes purchasing from a former student of mine who owns a dealership and sold to me at his cost including holdbacks. I also grew up in the shadow of a 5 Star Chrysler Dealership where my uncle was the shop manager. (Rich Chrysler/Plymouth in Ridgefield, Ct.)

MacMulkin gets an A+ in my book. NO DEALER FEES and a FULL TANK of gas to make it even sweeter.

BTW, the car was prepped superbly. I had a great 1600 mile ride back to Naples. This included a stop at the Tail of The Dragon to make several runs in the pouring rain.
Feel free to contact me for any further questions about my purchase.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:49 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I purchased from them it was by far the easiest and best car purchase process I have ever had. Sorry to hear about your problem, but this is the first negative review I have ever seen on them. I'm sure Tommy Jr will chime in.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:08 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I dealt directly with Tommy Jr. a few years back it he was always on top of updates and any follow questions I had, hopefully your situation gets rectified quickly.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Paws
I just purchased from them two weeks ago. My experience is in direct contrast to yours.

I thoroughly vet my dealers BEFORE purchase.

I flew in. I was picked up at the airport. The process to get me going on a 1600 mi ride back to Naples, Fl. was smooth and seamless. I've been doing deals for nearly 40 years. This transaction ranks among my top 5 EVER !!

This includes purchasing from a former student of mine who owns a dealership and sold to me at his cost including holdbacks. I also grew up in the shadow of a 5 Star Chrysler Dealership where my uncle was the shop manager. (Rich Chrysler/Plymouth in Ridgefield, Ct.)

MacMulkin gets an A+ in my book. NO DEALER FEES and a FULL TANK of gas to make it even sweeter.

BTW, the car was prepped superbly. I had a great 1600 mile ride back to Naples. This included a stop at the Tail of The Dragon to make several runs in the pouring rain.
Feel free to contact me for any further questions about my purchase.
Are you referring to Palm chevrolet in Punta Gorda FL? Because if you are there is no need to contact you. I belong to two Corvette clubs and have heard at least a half dozen other horror stories about them.

I believe you are referring to MacMulkin. My issue was with Palm Chevrolet. Which is about eighty miles from you.

Your endorsement of MacMulkin sounds as if you are in some way associated with them. A full tank of gas and no dealer fees are pretty much standard. Being picked up at the airport in any large city is nothing unusual either. An A+ in your opinion doesn't sound that difficult to achieve. If you really want to believe you got a great deal I'm happy for you.

Last edited by Lou7787; 01-16-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:19 PM
tcbharley
Advanced

I'm glad you guys deal went smooth. The price of the vehicle, them taking my money and making promises hasn't been a problem. Them following up on things has been abysmal - maybe if I had flown up there this would have been better. I wish Tommy jr would chime in - he was copied on several emails today. At this point the shipping company has called and picked the car up. Great folks to do business with - even if it wasn't the company that jay Leno uses as was promised .....the shipping company- united routes- has surpassed all expectations once they realized the situation. Also, now i have an email from the dealership telling me the car is now picked up. No return call after 3 calls and two emails. The price was excellent - guess we will see on the tank of gas and the condition of the car.

Inclosing - I bought the car for an excellent price but was promised things that didn't happen. Just FYI for you guys going forward.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:29 PM
0Reliablechevy
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a Forum Dealer for quite some time now and this is the first negative post about MacMulkin I can think of. Please don't let this negative review hurt their great reputation or sway a purchase decision away from them. They're a very good dealership and they've earned that reputation by treating their customers with respect and doing business the right way.

Thanks for listening,

Wes Milby
Reliable Chevrolet
Springfield, MO
Old 01-16-2016, 07:36 PM
tcbharley
Advanced

With all due respect sir - i dont feel I was treated with respect.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:03 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

I bought my 2010 GS from MacMaulkin and will be buying my C7 Z06 from them. Sorry your experience has not been superb like mine and tons of others that have posted on here. I've been a member on here for over 10 years and your review is the first I've seen with a negative review. So if one poor review vs 100's if not 1000's of very positive reviews have appeared, yours doesn't give me the slightest pause. I'll be happily buying from Tommy Jr and his MacMaulkin crew again.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:06 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Reliablechevy
I've been a Forum Dealer for quite some time now and this is the first negative post about MacMulkin I can think of. Please don't let this negative review hurt their great reputation or sway a purchase decision away from them. They're a very good dealership and they've earned that reputation by treating their customers with respect and doing business the right way.

Thanks for listening,

Wes Milby
Reliable Chevrolet
Springfield, MO
Well, there was that issue of them emailing all their customers on the list for Z06's telling them they would be instituting a "dealer mark-up" but it was quickly rescinded after an uproar of negative posts on the forum.

Last edited by titletaker; 01-16-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:31 PM
DEEDEEZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with MacMulkin. We have purchased 5 Corvettes and 2 Silverados from Tommy Jr over the last few years. The trip is 10-12 hours round trip from NJ and worth it every time. They have never failed to give us a fair trade value, return a phone call or e mail. We would never buy a Chevy or Cadillac anywhere else. Really unusual to see anyone on this forum unhappy with MacMulkin.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:40 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I bought a 2014 Z51 3LT manual coupe from MacMulkin in October of 2013. I'm in California. It was my first cross country purchase, and I chose MacMulkin because of slews of positive reviews about them, and of the few forum vendors I called, I found Tommy Jr. to be the best to work with.

This is also the first negative post I've ever seen about MacMulkin.

I also did not send any money except my deposit until the vehicle arrived at my California dealership (bought vehicle when it was in the build process). I told Tommy that is how I wanted to do business, and he had no problem with that.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:47 PM
MRHTRD
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default MacMulkin

I live in relative terms - down the road so to speak from MacMulkin. I am in Massachusetts. I was interested in two different 2016 Z06's that they had on the lot, so I called them to begin the process. I advised that I had two Corvettes that I was interested in trading towards a new Z06 / Z07.

The salesman on the other end kind of chuckled and said he would have to have another sales person get back to me to discuss the deal. Long story short no one ever called back, and I found my car at Herb Connelly Chevrolet in Framingham, Ma. They had exactly what was looking for and we made the deal over the phone with two calls.

Around here, MacMulkin was the go to dealer for Corvettes. I can tell you first hand that this is not the case any longer. There are plenty of Chevy dealers around that are very interested in taking your money and will work hard to make sure that the deal is right for both parties.

Enjoy the ride, the hard part is over !!!

Get notified of new replies

To MacMulkin Chevrolet poor customer service

Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Since I have came on this forum I have heard bad things about all the major ones.MacMulkin,
The one in Gathersburg,md ,Kerbeck who I bought mine from.I mean let's face it some people make out and others don't.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:26 PM
Paws
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou7787
Are you referring to Palm chevrolet in Punta Gorda FL? Because if you are there is no need to contact you. I belong to two Corvette clubs and have heard at least a half dozen other horror stories about them.

I believe you are referring to MacMulkin. My issue was with Palm Chevrolet. Which is about eighty miles from you.

Your endorsement of MacMulkin sounds as if you are in some way associated with them. A full tank of gas and no dealer fees are pretty much standard. Being picked up at the airport in any large city is nothing unusual either. An A+ in your opinion doesn't sound that difficult to achieve. If you really want to believe you got a great deal I'm happy for you.
No, Lou, I'm not associated with them. BTW, I resent the implication. Are you always so negative AND suspicious?

I'm passing along my personal experience based on nearly four decades of deals to help others get more bang for their buck.

I got a car for 12% off MSRP with no fees and add ons !! My standards are high. You and I will just agree to disagree. There is NO Corvette dealer in Florida that is ANYWHERE close in price.

I have a friend who purchased a vehicle from Galeana Dodge and paid $495 extra in fees, and another at the Mercedes dealer paid $695.

No dealer fees is NOT the norm. Most dealers here in Naples charge a dealer prep/office/paperwork fee of $300-$895 . Yes, $895 !!!

Many dealers now have gone to the old trick of door guards, paint sealer, etc, and tacking on an additional $1,000. MacMulkin doesn't play those games.

I appreciate an honest dealer.
I doubt you would get a comparable deal from your dealer of choice.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:20 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I bought my 2016 Z51 from McMulkin 2 months ago all i can say is

BEST EXPERIENCE EVER! THEY ARE LIKE FAMILY..TREAT U LIKE FAMILY AND EVERYONE I MET WAS VERY RESPECTFUL AND PLEASENT!

FROM DAY 1 WHEN I CALLED DROVE THERE PERFECT TRANSACTION WITH MARK

he even let me look at white 1 and a red one with same options both car were prepped side by side untill i sat outside for hours thinking about it was no rush not pushy no clown salesman ..just perfect...7000 off sticker to boot..local dealers in CT SUCK

I give Mcmulkin 10 stars!!
...And im very hard to please!!

promise u your car will be perfect when u get it

Paul Ferrucci

heres my ride

Last edited by blown81bu; 01-16-2016 at 11:29 PM.