Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Classic Chevrolet Houston 500 miles Service. Bad Experience!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:04 PM
jimfo40
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Classic Chevrolet Houston 500 miles Service. Bad Experience!

Hi everyone,

Last weekend I bought a new 2016 Z06/Z07 at Fort Worth, which is a dream come true for me. I am from Norway, so buying a brand new car like this, is something you only do once in a lifetime.

Today I went to have my 500 miles oil change. When I called the service guy, I asked if I could drop by during my lunch hour, to get it done quickly since I was at work. He said no problem. First he said there is no oil change at 500 miles, and I said that’s wrong. I also specified the oil type to use. Where to start? I drove my car in there at 11 am today. After walking around in 45 minutes looking at other cars, I found out that I needed to go back and ask for the status of the my car. I meet Mr X the service coordinator, and he said he had tried to call me 10 times. But no missed calls on my phone. He said there are no free oil change on the Z06. I said that was weird, so I called my sales guy in Fort Worth. He talked to Mr X and explained how the service conditions are. Mr X then told me that he needed to talk with his service manager that was out there in the workshop. He came back with this answer: “There are no free services on the 2016 models, only on the 2015 models” I was shocked! They also had tapped the oil of the car.

I told him that I needed to do some calls and also go in to the main store to try to talk to some people there. First I called my sales guy and have him start to call the store. At the store they told me that they don’t have any service manager at the service center, so Mr X had lied to me. After a while Mr X called me and said he had entered in the wrong VIN number, so suddenly everything was ok.

This took me 3 hours!

They have not used protected on the side of the car when they have been stretching into the engine room, and no plastic in the seats. The car had a lot of marks all over the car in the fine dust after the service people. When Mr X drove it out, he parked and looked it with its windows open, like it was just a crappy car.

Last edited by jimfo40; 02-21-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:01 PM
txapezl1
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

I always go to Mac Haik. They've never done me wrong............

Although, ironically I say that. On Thurs, I went to pick up my plates. I noticed I had a nail in my left rear tire. My sales guy said, just take it to service and have them patch it.

Well, come to find out...according to my service dept, you can't patch that tire, so I had to buy a new tire for $600. Which, doesn't bother me, but it did throw me off that you can't fix a nail in the Michelins. Took 3 hours for them to change the left rear as it wouldn't bead properly. They eventually got it done. They did throw in free Nitrogen on all 4's and gave me some kind of discount card or perferred GM card at no charge. Anyhow, that was my first......somewhat bad experience ever. But, I'd still recommend Mac Haik.

Last edited by txapezl1; 02-19-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:54 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by txapezl1
I always go to Mac Haik......
I have always used them. Ask for Russell Casteel.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:02 PM
playadam
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I made a thread about this up here in Waco last week. Chevy really dropped the ball on selling the most expensive production car they every came out with and their authorized service centers give them less attention than a $20k v6 truck.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:38 PM
bluzlee
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There're two Classic Chev, he is having issue with the one in Houston not the one in Sugar land.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by bluzlee
There're two Classic Chev, he is having issue with the one in Houston not the one in Sugar land.
BINGO!! Classic at Sharpstown is formerly the old Allen Samuells. For the really old timers in Houston, Allen Samuells bought the old Richardson Chevy which was at 59 and Hillcroft and was a service institution for corvettes.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Dellrose
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

For oil changes, I request Mobile one, then rattle off the GM part number for Mobile one to the service rep. Yeah, it's a bit obnoxious I suppose, but I figure if I convey knowledge of the part number for the oil which will show up on the paperwork the service rep hands me when it's done, that he is likely going to make sure we have nothing to discuss. Maybe I'm naive, but it seemed a logical course to get the right oil.

OP...sorry for your woes. I've got a couple pals that worked as mechanics at dealerships and to a man, they all said they couldn't wait to gain the skills and resources to open up their own shop. It seems the dealerships just overwhelm the techs with work never allowing them to do a job they can be proud of.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:53 PM
txapezl1
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Man, I'm such a goof. I went out today to buy some dog food for my Doberman. Glances down at the new tire that Mac Haik put on. I never noticed it at time of tire change. They put on a Michelin Pilot Super Sport on it!!!! Not a Cup tire. Smh. And they charged me $600 for it. haha, just as I spoken well of Mac Haik. We'll see if they fix the problem.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:06 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Still I can't help but be a touch annoyed when people join the "community" only so their first post can be a rant about an oil change with the dealer name in the headline.

Had he spent any time on the forum -before- he had his bad experience, he would have known to have had a copy of service bulletin in hand to show they guy (I know I did - they weren't going to use Mobil 1).

As for marks in the dust - if you take them a dusty or dirty car they're actually better off not putting anything on the paint. Now of course they can't drag their buttons and zippers over it or set tools on it, but putting fender "protectors" or plastic film overtop dust/dirt would be a bad idea. I get that it conveys a lack of appreciation for protecting the car, I'm just saying it wasn't really a bad thing.

Still kills me that their own dealer network doesn't know how to service it's most expensive car.

I request Mobile one, then rattle off the GM part number for Mobile one to the service rep.
Awesome. But you forgot to tell us the part number!

Last edited by davepl; 02-20-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:14 PM
Forujames
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You were dealing with some stupid people.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Still I can't help but be a touch annoyed when people join the "community" only so their first post can be a rant about an oil change with the dealer name in the headline.

Had he spent any time on the forum -before- he had his bad experience, he would have known to have had a copy of service bulletin in hand to show they guy (I know I did - they weren't going to use Mobil 1).

As for marks in the dust - if you take them a dusty or dirty car they're actually better off not putting anything on the paint. Now of course they can't drag their buttons and zippers over it or set tools on it, but putting fender "protectors" or plastic film overtop dust/dirt would be a bad idea. I get that it conveys a lack of appreciation for protecting the car, I'm just saying it wasn't really a bad thing.

Still kills me that their own dealer network doesn't know how to service it's most expensive car.

Awesome. But you forgot to tell us the part number!
I disagree with the above underlined portion. Here is a fellow, buying his first---and possibly only new car ever in his life---and the poor chap didn't "know" in advance to check the forum and also not to complain about a dealer on his first post. How much more arrogant can a Forum regular be---for me, the truth of his situation, or yours or anyone else counts more. Maybe his post will help someone, don't you agree? I would think so.

Fortunately, his Houston "colleagues" on here have rallied to his support with information on other dealers. A good thing to do.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:13 PM
bluzlee
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AORoads

Last edited by bluzlee; 02-20-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:42 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AORoads
I disagree with the above underlined portion. Here is a fellow, buying his first---and possibly only new car ever in his life---and the poor chap didn't "know" in advance to check the forum and also not to complain about a dealer on his first post. How much more arrogant can a Forum regular be---for me, the truth of his situation, or yours or anyone else counts more. Maybe his post will help someone, don't you agree? I would think so.

Fortunately, his Houston "colleagues" on here have rallied to his support with information on other dealers. A good thing to do.
Well, I read all that stuff before I bought mine. Then when I went in for my 500 mile service, I had the documents with me. So I'm not saying he -shouldn't- report his experience here, just it would have been avoidable or mitigated with a little homework.

However, no owner should have to do "homework" in order to get a scheduled oil change - I lay that blame on GM, not the poster.

I take a poncho to a game and it rains, I don't feel arrogant for being dry, but I do get a little annoyed at all the wet people complaining. I might be wired wrong, but I'm a big fan of self-sufficiency and preparation. Imagine if I'd been a boy scout, I'd be unlivable.

I hope they fix the issue and treat him right.

Last edited by davepl; 02-21-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I bought my 09 hummer H3 from classic in Grapevine Texas wost ever experience. Had to do their work when they disappeared. I was putting over half down with a voucher and the rest in cash. I never went back for anything evan for my free oil changes
Old 02-21-2016, 05:09 PM
jimfo40
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback. I did my homework. I have read a lot on this forum before buying this car and also before I went to take the service. I specified the oil to use, and also asked if the service were free before I went to the shop. They confirmed it over the phone. So then I knew I did´t have to bring additional papers. But I am not sure what happened over there, maybe they just had a very bad day. Maybe I just had to high expectations, considering how the technician at Nissan works with their GTR customers.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:33 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimfo40
Thanks for all the feedback. I did my homework. I have read a lot on this forum before buying this car and also before I went to take the service. I specified the oil to use, and also asked if the service were free before I went to the shop. They confirmed it over the phone. So then I knew I did´t have to bring additional papers. But I am not sure what happened over there, maybe they just had a very bad day. Maybe I just had to high expectations, considering how the technician at Nissan works with their GTR customers.
If you did all that, then my bad, you did the right things.

And like I said, either way, you shouldn't have to do any of it! It's the dealership's service department's job to know this stuff. If they told you one thing over the phone and then did another in person, not much else you can do.

In my case they service advisor agreed they would use Mobil 1, but not like I ran a chemical analysis or asked to see an empty container. They could have used anything for all I know.

Last edited by davepl; 02-21-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:01 PM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Just a reminder, Classic Chevrolet Houston is no way affiliated with Classic Chevrolet in Sugarland which is app. 8 miles south.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:37 PM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
Just a reminder, Classic Chevrolet Houston is no way affiliated with Classic Chevrolet in Sugarland which is app. 8 miles south.
I need a decent service dealer in South Houston. Am I to understand that the Sugarland Classic (the one the OP did not visit) is OK? My other choices nearby would be Strickland (Pearland), Norm Frede & Autonation(Gulf Freeway).

My past experiences (Phoenix) with Autonation left something to be desired - both on the sales end and the service end.

Get notified of new replies

To Classic Chevrolet Houston 500 miles Service. Bad Experience!