Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Problems with the Mid America Motorworks Intake for the LS2

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:48 PM
C7-Daddy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems with the Mid America Motorworks Intake for the LS2

Going through our 2005 C6 we found that the carbon fiber Mid American Motorworks intake would not stay connected to the MAF sensor. The bottom tubes that connected to the air filter tubes would also not stay connected to the carbon fiber.

The carbon fiber piece is shaped in a way that the tube is never a circle and there is an angle on the inlet and outlet of the carbon fiber that does not allow for the rubber to properly clamp on.

After looking at it and realizing the car just drove 2,000 miles with an intake that vibrated loose leaving zero air filtration, we removed it to get a better look.

We found the carbon fiber to be cracked at the seam. This had nothing to do with the fitment, but was one more reason to remove the intake.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2016, 08:07 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Hmmmnn...What say you Vendor?
Old 05-20-2016, 06:25 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I thought that parts made of carbon fiber were supposed to be stronger than steel (Formula 1 race car body panels, jet aircraft structural panels, Blackhawk helicopter rotor blades, etc) .... My bet is that the air intake the OP has is not real carbon fiber at all.

[Real] carbon fiber don't just crack open like that ... the part in the photo is just made from some cheap plastic that looks like carbon fiber.

Get your money back ...
Old 05-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Mid America Motorworks
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for letting me know of the new thread OP! Personally, I have not seen this problem come up before with this intake. I sent this to a couple of our Corvette techs to have them take a look into it as they are much more familiar with this system than I am. I just got off the phone with one of them and he said they would look into it and give me a call back as soon as they can.

I will keep you up to date with what they have to say as soon as I hear back!

Sorry for the troubles! We'll make sure you're taken care of!

-Nick

Mid America Motorworks
454 Big Block Dr
Effingham, IL 62401
www.mamotorworks.com
(800) 500-1500

Family Owned Since 1974!

Old 05-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Mid America Motorworks

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I thought that parts made of carbon fiber were supposed to be stronger than steel (Formula 1 race car body panels, jet aircraft structural panels, Blackhawk helicopter rotor blades, etc) .... My bet is that the air intake the OP has is not real carbon fiber at all.

[Real] carbon fiber don't just crack open like that ... the part in the photo is just made from some cheap plastic that looks like carbon fiber.

Get your money back ...
As I mentioned before, I am not very familiar with the construction of this particular intake, but I am fairly familiar with carbon fiber. There are so many levels of quality in carbon fiber nowadays. Without getting with our purchasing division to find out, I am not sure who manufactures this intake for us, so I cannot say for sure what exact type or level of carbon fiber may be used here. On a large majority of aftermarket carbon fiber products for production street cars in general, I have my doubts that the carbon fiber being used is the same same carbon made by the same process that a Formula 1 car may use.

I can certainly guarantee that this piece is carbon fiber and it is generally extremely durable as it should be. From what I can see, that crack is along a natural weak point from manufacturing. These are molded in two pieces and then fitted together, since they cannot be molded as one piece.

-Nick
Old 05-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Mid America Motorworks

Originally Posted by C7-Daddy
Going through our 2005 C6 we found that the carbon fiber Mid American Motorworks intake would not stay connected to the MAF sensor. The bottom tubes that connected to the air filter tubes would also not stay connected to the carbon fiber
While I wait for a response from our techs, do you happen to have your order number that I could look up? Or, you can feel free to message me your name and a phone or address I can look up in our system!

-Nick
Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 PM
C7-Daddy
Instructor

Will PM you tomorrow.

I can also post pictures of the complete kit if needed. Its on the workbench now.....

ALSO, I have talked to 2 people on the phone about this and both said they would call me back and never have.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:03 AM
C7-Daddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mid America Motorworks
While I wait for a response from our techs, do you happen to have your order number that I could look up? Or, you can feel free to message me your name and a phone or address I can look up in our system!

-Nick
Hey Nick,
I would have to assume that by now someone would have got back with you?

No one has called me back!
Old 05-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Mid America Motorworks

Originally Posted by C7-Daddy
Hey Nick,
I would have to assume that by now someone would have got back with you?

No one has called me back!
Sorry for the delay! I haven't had the chance to hop on here in a little bit and I do not know who you have worked with already to find any contact information for you other than here on the forum. I haven't received anything to our inbox yet, did you happen to have your order number at all? I'd like to be able to help you out as best I can, but I need to have an idea on a purchase date to figure out what options I have to work with depending on the time frame for the warranty.

If you don't have your order number, like I mentioned, you can feel free to message me your name, or a phone number, or an address so I can look you up in our system to find it.

As far as the response, the consensus from our techs is that it appears to have been installed incorrectly and then clamped down far too tight to compensate. Of course, they can't say for sure that is what happened, but from their knowledge of the product, that appears to be the most likely cause.

-Nick

Last edited by Mid America Motorworks; 05-24-2016 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Mid America Motorworks

I still haven't seen anything in our inbox. I'd love to see what options I have for you, but I need to find an order number for you for warranty purposes.

Please get with me soon with some information so we can get you taken care of!

-Nick
Old 05-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Mid America Motorworks

Just wanted to touch base again to let you know I'm still here to do what I can for you! Looking forward to your response!

-Nick
Old 05-28-2016, 04:51 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mid America Motorworks
Just wanted to touch base again to let you know I'm still here to do what I can for you! Looking forward to your response!

-Nick
I think that this paragraph from one of your earlier posts ticked him off. I know it would have me. Put the blame on the customer.

"As far as the response, the consensus from our techs is that it appears to have been installed incorrectly and then clamped down far too tight to compensate. Of course, they can't say for sure that is what happened, but from their knowledge of the product, that appears to be the most likely cause."
Old 05-31-2016, 11:27 AM
Mid America Motorworks

Originally Posted by Old Ben
I think that this paragraph from one of your earlier posts ticked him off. I know it would have me. Put the blame on the customer.

"As far as the response, the consensus from our techs is that it appears to have been installed incorrectly and then clamped down far too tight to compensate. Of course, they can't say for sure that is what happened, but from their knowledge of the product, that appears to be the most likely cause."
I can absolutely see how that can be interpreted as such, and I agree, it wouldn't be what I would want to hear either. However, this is just what our techs' first inkling was based off of the provided image and their knowledge and experience with the product. We are certainly not saying that's what happened, but simply a possibility.

I would love to get him taken care of, but I cannot help any further until I locate his original order to see if it is still within warranty. To do so, I either need to get the number from him if he has it, or get his name and some contact information so I can look him up in our system. all I have for him is his username here on the forum.

Regardless of how the damage happened, I want to see him with a working product that he is happy with and get him taken care of as we should.

-Nick
Old 05-31-2016, 11:50 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

The vendor is clearly reaching out for info to try and help and yet OP is not responding to a thread he started. We bash vendors for lack of action, yet when they do reach out they get ignored.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I would completely agree w. David's post above, as well as the last line of Nick fr. MidAmerica's post, "...I want to see him with working product that he is happy with..." Thumbs up to the both of you!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

This thread is being moved to the Transaction Feedback Forum
Old 05-31-2016, 02:09 PM
Mid America Motorworks

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
The vendor is clearly reaching out for info to try and help and yet OP is not responding to a thread he started. We bash vendors for lack of action, yet when they do reach out they get ignored.
I always like to remember that we all have lives outside the forum. I know that I can't get on everyday to check on things, I just like to touch base as often as I can while I await a response to let him know he hasn't been forgotten.

-Nick

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with the Mid America Motorworks Intake for the LS2

Old 05-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Mid America Motorworks

Originally Posted by AORoads
I would completely agree w. David's post above, as well as the last line of Nick fr. MidAmerica's post, "...I want to see him with working product that he is happy with..." Thumbs up to the both of you!
Thanks AORoads!

When I work with customers to find resolutions, I always try my best to treat everyone the way I would want to be treated if I were in their position. And in this case, I just want to see the OP with a product that fits his needs and that he can enjoy. If it's not from us, so be it, I'm not trying to sell him on anything. If he wants to look at other brands we carry, sure, I'd be glad to help. But, he has an obvious defect with something he bought from us and I want to make sure it's resolved for his peace of mind. If it's an exchange for a replacement or a different system, or a refund and he goes elsewhere, that's his decision, I just don't want to see him stuck with something defective if he doesn't have to be. I just need some more info from him so I can take a look at the warranty and see what kind of options I can provide for a resolution. I'll just have to wait patiently and hope he sees my responses!

-Nick
Old 06-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Mid America Motorworks

Just checking in again since I haven't heard anything just yet! We have our Funfest for Air-Cooled Volkswagens event beginning tomorrow, so I may not be able to check in here on the forum until Monday as I will be out working our show field tomorrow through Sunday. I'll try to check in during the evenings from home. I'm still happy to take a look into this for you!

-Nick
Old 06-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Mid America Motorworks

OP, I have yet to hear back from you, so I did some digging to try and find who you may have worked with previously in our call center to see if there is anything I could find out myself that may be able to help. From looking into this, it was brought to my attention that this intake was already installed when you purchased the car. If this is the case, unfortunately, there is nothing I can do for you since this was existing on the car already and not purchased directly from us by you.

I wish there was more I could do for you, but my hands are tied there. If this was in fact on the vehicle already, we have no way of telling how long ago it was installed as we have been selling this particular intake setup for the past ten years. Since it was installed by someone other than yourself, we have no way to find out how it was installed and if it was done correctly. Which, from the provided image has lead our techs to believe it was not. It would have had a one year warranty from the date of purchase and, since I cannot establish what that date may have been and whether or not it was made by you, my hands are tied.

Regardless, I really hate to leave you empty handed and I don't want you to have a sour experience with one of our products, even with the potential of it being up to 10 years old. I have a handful of replacements in stock for that particular power duct. I would be happy to offer you a deal on one of those replacements, if you are interested. Please feel free to reach me here on the forum or give us a call at (800) 500-1500 and ask for Nick.

-Nick

Last edited by Mid America Motorworks; 06-15-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Typo