Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

BUYER BEWARE!!!! Avoid "Ron's Classic Cars" in Soddy-Daisy, TN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 02:09 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default BUYER BEWARE!!!! Avoid "Ron's Classic Cars" in Soddy-Daisy, TN!!!

I am embarrassed to admit my bonehead mistake, I should have proceeded with a little more caution.... sometimes, life lessons have to be learned the hard way. AVOID "RON'S CLASSIC CARS"... BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Case in point:
(My apologies, these are screen shots, so click on them to make it a little easier to read)

Old 06-22-2016, 03:08 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Wow.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB

Wow.
Benton, Were you able to zoom in to read my BBB complaint I filed? My Credit Union also advised me to file a police report for FRAUD!
Old 06-22-2016, 03:58 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

BBB reports, though will make you feel warm and fuzzy are worthless in getting anything done. BBB is a marketing tool, there is no teeth behind anything...

If you want to grab them (a car dealer) by the short hairs, file a written/formal complaint with the department in their state that holds their sales license.

This will get their attention.... And remember is costs you nothing, the state auditors and investigators are hired to look into wrong doings, they are paid to dig...

Also, My guess if you attempt to file a report with the police, they will quickly point out it is a civil matter and to talk to an attorney. But before you do that, read my earlier suggestion. Good Luck!
Old 06-22-2016, 04:14 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Dbl6gun
I am embarrassed to admit my bonehead mistake, I should have proceeded with a little more caution.... sometimes, life lessons have to be learned the hard way. AVOID "RON'S CLASSIC CARS"... BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Case in point:
(My apologies, these are screen shots, so click on them to make it a little easier to read)

If the $5,400 you sent to them wasn't 10% of the purchase price, it would be tough for them to argue that the money was a deposit since they say they require 10%.

I also agree with the other response you got about the BBB not having any teeth to get your money back. They don't have enforcement powers. Been there, done that.

I would try the licensing agency as you were advised and then get a lawyer if all else fails. A short letter from an attorney often is enough to do the job in cases like this.

Good luck with this and keep us posted.

Steve
Old 06-22-2016, 04:39 PM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Call the Attorney General's office for the state of TN and the State Corporation Comm. They may help you or point you in the right direction. Don't give up on the wire transfer. An attorney is going to be expensive and you may end up putting more money down this rat hole.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 AM
amamdani
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see ads in NCRS Driveline for lawyers specializing in classic car fraud. I suggest talking to a lawyer. May cost a few hundred $$, but you will get most of your deposit back. I know a few friends who used lawyers (for regular cars) and it turned out well for them. The dealer will decide its much easier to give your money back than to defend. Just my $0.02. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:12 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I disagree that the BBB is ineffectual. I have had 100% success resolving disputes using them as a resource.

I only traded a car in once in my life...to a dealer that had a decent reputation and had been in business for 60+ years. To make a very long story short, they did not pay off the loan on the trade and after numerous attempts to get them to do so, I invoked the BBB. They informed the secretary of state police immediately, and I had the loan payoff in-hand within 48 hours. The dealer ceased to exist shortly thereafter.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:36 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Filed with them on 6 bad wheels and tires from a loca shop, they pretty much laughed at it. Sleazeballs...didnt have the time to take them to small claims. Most people never pursue thats why they keep doing it .

Dont take it, get your $!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:56 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

I tried to read the complaint and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something...This is all because the seller was rude to the fella who came to look at the car?

I don't mean to be a jerk but the time for inspection is not after/during the point when you are sending a deposit.

For all you know the car is exactly as described right? Or did I miss something....
Old 06-23-2016, 01:58 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by old68
I got burned a few years back, by "worldwide vintage autos" in Denver, sold the car back to them, then joined every forum, did yelp, ripoff report and went crazy, an a-hole there called me a year later and refunded the balance of my money, it can work,
That can be effective but make sure you can back up what you write with strong proof. You don't want them coming after you with a libel case .

Steve
Old 06-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by karkrafter
I tried to read the complaint and I'm pretty sure I'm missing something...This is all because the seller was rude to the fella who came to look at the car?

I don't mean to be a jerk but the time for inspection is not after/during the point when you are sending a deposit.

For all you know the car is exactly as described right? Or did I miss something....
If I understand correctly, as soon as the buyer said he wanted someone to inspect the car, the seller started getting rude and upset. This raised a red flag to the buyer, wondering if there was something to hide. OP or Benton can correct me if that's wrong.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:21 PM
karkrafter
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Railroadman
If I understand correctly, as soon as the buyer said he wanted someone to inspect the car, the seller started getting rude and upset. This raised a red flag to the buyer, wondering if there was something to hide. OP or Benton can correct me if that's wrong.

No, no I understand that...I question send $$ BEFORE you arrange to look at it.

I find buyers don't really get the 'deposit' thing...It legally BINDS the seller to forsake all others AND it binds the buyer to buy the car or LOSE the deposit. Changing buyers mind is not an option..

How does any buyer think its 'right' to bind a seller without binding himself...It's not hold the car for me until I change my mind [good reason or not]

Called due diligence, and the buyer has to do his BEFORE the deposit. IMO.

Last edited by karkrafter; 06-23-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:27 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I much prefer to let the OP respond to this.

I have not had any dialogue with the seller nor have I seen the car.

Biting my tongue, based on what I've heard.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

I find buyers don't really get the 'deposit' thing...It legally BINDS the seller to forsake all others AND it binds the buyer to buy the car or LOSE the deposit. Changing buyers mind is not an option..

How does any buyer think its 'right' to bind a seller without binding himself...It's not hold the car for me until I change my mind [good reason or not]

The money was for purchasing PARTS. A "purchase agreement" was never completely signed off. Money for parts. The MAIN "point" of this discussion thread was to warn others about an unscrupulous fraud posing as a classic car dealer.... And to avoid that particular car dealer like the plague. I am already "smarting"..... Please dont be the guy with the salt shaker

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 06-23-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:46 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

I've been in contact the Tennessee Attorney General's office and the lady that took my call, looked up the business and the business owner and found and read off to me, several YEARS worth of complaints against that man and his business practices.

The car ad on a national website:
http://classiccars.com/listings/view...ennessee-37379

Here is "Ron's Classic Cars" (Ron Lane): business website:
http://www.ronsclassiccars.org

Now... Here is Ron's inventory listed at his personal website:
http://www.bulletinboards.com/RonsCl.../inventory.cfm

Before I ever contacted Ron, I spotted the 1966 roadster on "Classiccars.com" ...... But it wasn't listed on his own website inventory, so I emailed him, asking if the 66 was still for sale. He responded that not only is it still available, but he ALSO has SEVERAL "MID YEAR" Vettes for sale, not a couple, but SEVERAL "MID YEAR CORVETTES!"

Compare his personal web page inventory, against his listed inventory at Classiccars.com..... What do you see? I didnt start to notice the difference until after I became suspicous. And yes, I do realize that a car can sell and it take a few days before the ad drops off of the "www.Classiccars.com" web site....... The two web sites indicated "inventory" do NOT jive with each other!

One of the Attorney General's verified complaints against Ron's Classic Cars is BAIT & SWITCH.

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 06-23-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:50 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Originally Posted by Railroadman
You stated that correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To BUYER BEWARE!!!! Avoid "Ron's Classic Cars" in Soddy-Daisy, TN!!!

Old 06-23-2016, 06:55 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I much prefer to let the OP respond to this.

I have not had any dialogue with the seller nor have I seen the car.

Biting my tongue, based on what I've heard.
I cannot impose on you to be snoopy.... But IF you feel so inclined..... And if you do take it upon yourself, don't let Ron know "who" you are.... Just play it cool and snoop..... . .....and if you do, and want remain "incognito" ...LEAVE your 64 at home! But if you want to "tweek" him a-little, then by all means, take the 64!

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 11-29-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:59 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess you've read these complaints by now, but just in case:

http://www.bbb.org/chattanooga/busin...437/complaints

Steve
Old 06-23-2016, 07:10 PM
Dbl6gun