Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Experience with Maryland Speed, as a customer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Malfeitor
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

For me, it's not so much the wait as it is not getting any updates. I would be fine if they said it would be 3 months. I ordered a J.Allen stock for my M14 a few years ago and they said it would be 9-12 months. At the 11th month they emailed me that it would be another 2 months. Got it 2 months later. No prob. I have no real update information for my header order. Gray areas are bad for me. Can't imagine Kooks wouldn't be transparent on their production schedule timing.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:17 PM
beavisr1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been waiting 4 1/2 months for my 1 7/8 lg super pros. I've called multiple times and have been told it would ship this week 3 times now, still no headers or tracking info. That being said they have answered the phone every time.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:38 PM
Signal_20
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Same thing happened to me when I ordered a car cover from Ecklers. Finally called and they said it would be two weeks and was being drop shipped from the manufacturer. I cancelled the order then drove to Ecklers and bought one they had in stock there. Guess I should have done that in the first place.
Jim

Last edited by Signal_20; 08-31-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:51 AM
Kurt D
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered a Kook's header system and Borla axle back in April from Maryland Speed with the full expectation, after 5 minutes of research, that the order wouldn't arrive for a few months. It was worth the wait for the massive discount; I mean I'd hard pressed to source the parts used for the price I paid brand new, delivered. I was actually surprised when the Borla shipped with in a few days and arrived the following week. I guess either MS or Borla had the system in stock...

Long story short it's obvious MS places orders directly with Kook's (or several companies), in batches, for wholesaler pricing. They then pass that savings on to you. You just have to wait for 1) them to get enough orders to get the price break 2) Kook's (or whoever else) to do a production run of the parts you ordered. The production run itself could take weeks/months depending on how popular/unpopular the item is. I received my headers in about 3 and a half months. MS couldn't really give a accurate estimate on shipping time because it's all in the supplier's hands after the orders are placed.

For those who missed appointments, etc; did you bother to tell your salesman when you needed the parts? I mean again it's obvious these shops with massive discounts are having parts drop shipped. I've learned a long time ago with car parts and guns/gun parts, especially on high ticket or "custom" items, to ask. Best case is MS might be able to still get you the part from a stocking wholesaler for a good price and on time. Worse case is they tell you they can't and you go to a stocking retailer like Summit and get it with in a few days to a week, at full retail of course.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:39 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

So you still rewarded bad service with your dollars.

Originally Posted by Signal_20
Same thing happened to me when I ordered a car cover from Ecklers. Finally called and they said it would be two weeks and was being drop shipped from the manufacturer. I cancelled the order then drove to Ecklers and bought one they had in stock there. Guess I should have done that in the first place.
Jim

If the bolded part of your post below is correct, and so obvious to you, wouldn't it be better if the re/e-tailer described the reason on their website? Sounds like a way to 1) improve customer relations --- or in the minds of some, 2) to drive customers away to another re/e-tailer.

IDK which way would be better, but in this uncertain biz world I doubt losing a customer, or having a 30+ post thread on customer service is a good biz practice. JMO

Originally Posted by Kurt D
I ordered a Kook's header system and Borla axle back in April from Maryland Speed with the full expectation, after 5 minutes of research, that the order wouldn't arrive for a few months. It was worth the wait for the massive discount; I mean I'd hard pressed to source the parts used for the price I paid brand new, delivered. I was actually surprised when the Borla shipped with in a few days and arrived the following week. I guess either MS or Borla had the system in stock...

Long story short it's obvious MS places orders directly with Kook's (or several companies), in batches, for wholesaler pricing. They then pass that savings on to you. You just have to wait for 1) them to get enough orders to get the price break 2) Kook's (or whoever else) to do a production run of the parts you ordered. The production run itself could take weeks/months depending on how popular/unpopular the item is. I received my headers in about 3 and a half months. MS couldn't really give a accurate estimate on shipping time because it's all in the supplier's hands after the orders are placed.

For those who missed appointments, etc; did you bother to tell your salesman when you needed the parts? I mean again it's obvious these shops with massive discounts are having parts drop shipped. I've learned a long time ago with car parts and guns/gun parts, especially on high ticket or "custom" items, to ask. Best case is MS might be able to still get you the part from a stocking wholesaler for a good price and on time. Worse case is they tell you they can't and you go to a stocking retailer like Summit and get it with in a few days to a week, at full retail of course.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:34 AM
86SC
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

massive discount? i ordered coated kooks headers from Maryland Speed. Branden gave me a discount, it was not "massive" he also said there were no delays and it will take 3-5 weeks.

today is the 5th week no updates.... while i'm okay with 3-5 weeks i'm not okay with the run around.

i will never order from Maryland Speed again due to this issue.

2 more weeks and then i call the credit card company.

Last edited by 86SC; 09-01-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Signal_20
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are correct sir I did exactly that and should have handled it differently. Sometimes my excitement of getting a new part or toy overrules my common sense.

Originally Posted by AORoads
So you still rewarded bad service with your dollars.

If the bolded part of your post below is correct, and so obvious to you, wouldn't it be better if the re/e-tailer described the reason on their website? Sounds like a way to 1) improve customer relations --- or in the minds of some, 2) to drive customers away to another re/e-tailer.

IDK which way would be better, but in this uncertain biz world I doubt losing a customer, or having a 30+ post thread on customer service is a good biz practice. JMO
Old 09-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Malfeitor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kurt D
For those who missed appointments, etc; did you bother to tell your salesman when you needed the parts?
Of course. I asked how long it would take to get the parts before I placed the order. He said about a month. 9 weeks now and it was not a special order. He should just say he is holding money for a group buy like other vendors do, if that is actually what he is doing. Give honest, periodic updates. Not a lot to ask.

Week 5: "Any updates?", "Should get a shipment in next week"
Week 6: "Any update?", "Getting a shipment next week, should know more then:
Week 7: "Any updates?, "Shipment coming next week"

I work for a major OEM and we call this kicking the can down the road.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:24 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

I've been just reading over these and say I'm not the only one. But in the middle of June I ordered my Kooks headers with catted X-Pipe and Halltech package. Now I got something for y'all I got my headers about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I haven't seen the Halltech and I haven't seen the Catted X-Pipe yet. This sunday will be 11 weeks since that order was place and still haven't got the Catted X-pipe and Halltech but got my Kooks headers though. I asked the wait time when I bought and was told 3 to 5 weeks out but could vary. Called 2 weeks ago they had a shipment coming in and it may be on that and then this week called and they said it may be on this week shipment. I haven't seen anything yet. I'm like someone said before if there's a wait just let me know how long and be kind of on point. But to not know anything these days are times of the past. They do give good discounts but as others said I would just rather pay or get my parts from someone else and have them within a week or two.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Is Maryland Speed still a sponser here on the Corvette Forum?

Maryland Speed hasn't posted a reply to this thread since January of this year (7 months ago) ... and folks here are STILL having problems getting parts from this vendor?

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 09-01-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I hope any future customers realize that a cheaper price comes with the uncertainty of when you will get the product(s). Can't come in here and complain that you were NOT warned!

If the information explained by the vendor in the following post is true, and I see no reason to believe it is not, it sounds like impatience may be the real issue here.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 09-01-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:42 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been out the office this week because of a close relative passing, and just saw these replies.

The ultimate answer is we can do cheap or fast. We cannot do both. A lot of our competitors do not offer coating, and charge more to buy from wholesalers. The wholesalers have the parts in stock because they charge more for them. So the answer is yes, you can buy somewhere else and often get Kooks immediately. But it costs more. We can do the same thing if don't want a big discount.

The problem we have is every comes to us wanting the best price. That is the need. You mention a wait and they don't care with a big discount. Saving money is the need. As you can see below, we are very clear about how we do business with the discounts.

Then magically after money changes hands, the need turns into "how fast can I get them". Then the longer it takes, the more it turns into "lets turn up the pressure"...with posts like here and so forth. Nobody really wants to cancel, because elsewhere costs $100s more. It's basically an unhappy marriage where no one wants to leave. I don't want to lose a sale, and the customer does not want to pay more.

I make notes when I take orders. And I have people who I tell "Dude you will wait"..and they are like "for that price I don't care". So I note that internal order notes. Then you see them here upset about how long it has been.

Below in the quotes is where we list delays and try and be up front.

As you can see, we tell people up front on their invoices that-

- They will not get updates
- ETAs are not promised
- Do not book an install until you get the parts.

Yet still people complain they did not updates, we did not deliver in the promised time, and they missed two booked installs.

Now this is not every sale. A lot of customers understand and are fine with the wait. Also a lot of customers have their orders ship early. The problem is, even if we hit our 3-5 week ETA on coated headers, that won't impress someone enough to complement us since people expect mail order to be next day now. We have had extended delays on a few parts, but that seems to be clearing. On average though we meet our ETA's.

It is important to understand that we don't go to the effort to disclaim there will be delays and have pretty strict terms like below if we were not trying to be up front. Those terms cost me sales all the time because someone will come in a say that they want a discount...then ask to have it in a week and we tell them no. Also, no other dealer goes to the level we do to express there may be delays.

Listed in every Kooks part in the shipping notes:

Kooks headers and exhaust are a handmade specialty product, and in many cases made to order. Once an order is in processing status, we cannot cancel your order. Orders for uncoated Kooks headers can take an estimated 2-4 weeks. Orders for coated headers can take an estimated 3-5 weeks. These are estimates, not promises. Do not book an installation until you have a tracking number. Orders for 2”, stepped, or limited production vehicles may take longer. If you have a shipping time concern, please contact us prior to purchase as we have added cost options for faster delivery. Do not order coated headers if you need a promised delivery date without contacting us first. In order to offer the pricing we do on this line, we must strictly enforce this policy. Kooks headers are sold for off road use only. They are not street legal.

Listed on every Kooks invoice along with link to terms. (emailed to customer with note in email to review in 24 hours and reply with any problems)-

Coated Orders-
Estimated 3-5 Weeks (Estimated, not promise)- Special Order- No Cancelations- Do not book install until you have parts. You will not receive updates unless you contact us until it ships.

Uncoated Orders
Estimated 2-3 Weeks (Estimated, not promise)- Special Order- No Cancelations- Do not book install until you have parts. You will not receive updates unless you contact us until it ships.
Sent to people after ordering coated headers-

The entire MarylandSpeed Staff would like to thank you for your coated header purchase! Installing headers is one of the best, most rewarding bolt on modifications available for your car. They will make a true seat of the pants difference in how your car performs!

We understand this may be one of the largest purchases you make for your car. We respect that you have chosen to spend this amount of money with us, and wanted to take a minute to explain up front the process for receiving a coated header from MarylandSpeed.

In your research, you may have noticed that we offer ceramic coating for significantly less than our competitors. In order for us to offer the ceramic coating at the price we do, we have to work with both Kooks, and the coater to get the best price possible in order to pass on. We do not call Kooks and say “Hey, send a header to the coater for this person”. Instead, we place large stocking orders with Kooks to get the best price possible, and then fill the orders as stock shows up. This means that every week, Kooks sends us a large stocking shipment from what they have made. We then use this shipment to fill orders on a first come, first served basis. Because of the handmade nature of Kooks, and high demand, there is often a running backorder on parts. Based on that, we expect your headers to be here in an estimated 1-3 weeks, and then take a week or two to coat. Again, these are estimated times, and your wait may be a little sooner or a little later. You also may receive one part before the other because Kooks makes headers and connection pipes at different times.

You will be provided notification of shipment for your parts to the coater and to your location as each occurs. We cannot however provide running updates because we often do not know what is on our shipments from Kooks until the day they show up. Because of this, and the custom nature of the coating, we ask that you do not book an installation appointment until you at least have tracking for all your parts. It is an even better idea to wait till you have them in hand, and can verify there are no damages, shortages, or defects. The last thing we want is for you to miss an install date because Kooks miss an ETA, or the headers did not get coated fast enough.

While we are set up to provide the coating at the best price possible, we do have added cost options for faster delivery. If you require expedited delivery, or delivery by a set date, please reply to this email explaining your situation. Depending on the part, we may have some options that can make the order move faster, such as dropshipping from the manufacturer, expedited shipping or rushing the coating.

Thanks for your business, and understanding of this process so we can bring you the best product at the best prices!
Listed in the order terms agreed to at checkout-

Discount Policy-

While our website already offers great sale pricing, in many cases we may offer additional package or promotional discounts beyond the standard website sale price. We pride ourselves on having the best price, and want to give you the best deals possible. These discounts may be offered on the phone, or through the chat feature of the website as a coupon code.

When we offer these additional package discounts, delivery time WILL be impacted in many cases. As we discount more, where and how we can source the parts for your order is impacted. For instance a 10% discount on a part can eliminate many of the suppliers we can source the part from on price alone. Or for another example, you may be offered a discount because we have a stock order coming in with that part and we got an extra discount. The order may not ship until that stock order gets here rather than being dropshipped as a one off from a wholesaler.

If you need the part by a certain time, PLEASE STOP THE PURCHASE PROCESS NOW and discuss it with the sales rep who is offering you the discount. It is the customers responsibility to communicate any time delivery time needs at the time of purchase as it impacts how much of a discount we can give. In order to keep prices low, we do not cancel orders, or accept non defective returns on orders with additional discounts beyond website sale price.

By accepting the discount, you agree to these terms.

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 09-01-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Malfeitor
Instructor

Thanks for the update. Checked my emails and never received the Kooks invoice/link or disclaimer in your second posted quote nor the email referenced in the third posted quote. I did however receive and review the first (in my MS invoice) and fourth informative posted quote. I appreciate the post as it will make my future purchase decisions very easy.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:59 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

First off, $40 is almost 15%. That is a bit.
Second, it has not been a month.
Third, you did not put year/make/model data in your order. However since you are posting here I am assuming you have a C5 or C6 Corvette. Is so, the the cable drive throttle body will not work on your car. Those are all drive by wire.

Originally Posted by DA CZAR
I hardly think that a 40 dollars savings is worth the wait of a month for an item to show up...and surely isn't much of a discount..

Waiting a month to 3 months for an item is not what one would call "being impatient" ..They didn't have any problem with taking my money right away!!...maybe next time take the money when it ships
Originally Posted by DA CZAR
Oh wait there wont be a next time !!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
Third, you did not put year/make/model data in your order. However since you are posting here I am assuming you have a C5 or C6 Corvette. Is so, the the cable drive throttle body will not work on your car. Those are all drive by wire.
Ouch!
Old 09-02-2017, 04:14 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
Always 2 sides to a coin
NSF

Quick Reply: Experience with Maryland Speed, as a customer?