Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Avoid Landers Chevrolet in Norman,Ok.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Maverick1125
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Avoid Landers Chevrolet in Norman,Ok.

I dropped off my 2009 Corvette at Landers Chevrolet in Norman Ok. on May 1, 2017 for a repair of the drivers door latch not releasing when using the key less entry system. My service consultant was Brian Zinn. At no time during check in was there any notification of any damage to the drivers door as Mr. Zinn was inspecting the drivers door area.

The next day, May 2, Mr. Zinn called me to inform me that my car was repaired. I then returned to the dealership to retrieve my vehicle. When the "driver" got my car for me he backed it in thru the exit door and as he exited the vehicle I noticed he was talking on his cell phone and walked away from the vehicle leaving the drivers door wide open and the engine running. I then assumed it was ready for me to take. Since he backed in through the exit door my vehicle was now blocking others from leaving. I got in my vehicle and after searching I found my key in the cup holder and left the dealership.

The moment I got home and parked the vehicle in my garage and exited the vehicle is when I noticed a 3-4 inch vertical crack in the drivers door just below the door handle. I immediately called the dealership and talked to Mr. Zinn who asked me to bring it in for them to look at it.

The next day I made an appointment to bring my vehicle in on Thursday, May 4. at 3:30pm and received an email stating Mr Zinn will be looking at my car

When I arrived for my scheduled appointment no one came out to meet me at my car. I had to go inside and ask for Mr. Zinn who was not there. They then had to find someone else to handle my complaint. This person took two pictured of the damage and said he would get with Mr Zinn the next day and I would get a call to update me on my complaint.

I waited all day on Friday, May 5 for a call and the update and I was never called. Later in the afternoon I called Mr Zinn and he admitted he did see the pictures and at this time we now have to wait until Monday, May 8, for the service manager to come back from his vacation time. I was told he would talk to his manager and give me a call on Monday.

I then waited all day Monday for a call that once again never came. I called and Mr. Zinn did not answer his phone so after work I drove my vehicle to the dealership.

When I arrived Mr Zinn was at his desk and met me in the vehicle drop off area. He then left me to find the service manager.

I then met the service manager who later informed me that Mr. Zinn never talked to him about my complaint. Which was no surprise since Mr. Zinn by now has shown to have no customer service skills and would prefer to avoid complaints instead of helping the customer fix them.

The service manager then asked me to go in the showroom and wait while he called someone in the body shop to come over and look at my car. When the body shop person finally showed up we all went to look at the damaged drivers door.

I insisted that the damage was not there prior to me dropping off the car. The crack is in a very obvious area and can easily be seen. Since the crack in the fiberglass is on the same drivers door that was worked on it seemed obvious to me the damage happened while being repaired at the dealership. The damage could have been done by someone who didn't realize they caused the damage so they didn't report it.

The body shop person did point out that the door had been previously repaired but the service manager did do a Carfax check on my vehicle and noted the Carfax didn't show it being repaired in the past. Even if it did have a previous repair that is no proof that the door was not damaged while in the care of the dealership.

Between the service manager's claim to be an "expert" with working with fiberglass and the body shop person who was the expert, neither one could explain how the crack could have happened at all. Even though it was there and couldn't be ignored.

The service manager then decided with no facts that he wouldn't take responsibility for the damage based on:

1. I can't prove that there was no prior damage to the door before it was dropped off.

Even though if there was damage, it was never noted at the time of dropping off the vehicle for repair by Mr Zinn. The service manager just assumes it was there.

2. He trusts the people that work for him and if anyone did the damage they would have reported it to him.

I go back to the above example of Mr Zinn never reporting to the service manager of my complaint on Monday and the first time he knew about my complaint was when I showed up to try to get this worked out. Not everyone reports everything it appears!

Also, the damage could have been caused by someone repairing the door latch and not realizing they cracked the door so it was not reported at the time. Access to replace the part is not easy to get to and the door would need to be opened to get to the area.

I was offered a discount on the repair but that is not acceptable to me because I feel ordinary care was not taken by the service dept. and all damage should be repaired at no cost to me.

This is what I put in the survey they sent me

Old 05-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

You will find Bigfoot before you find an honest dealership.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 PM
Maverick1125
Instructor

I think I will find the Easter bunny right next to an honest service manager.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Well, I haven't found Bigfoot or the Easter Bunny, but my local Chevy dealer where I bought my C7 and used to take my C6 I bought elsewhere is honest. The first thing they do before I leave is a walk around, with me, to inspect for any kind of damage. While it's never happened, if there is any damage when I pick it up they own it. Not sure why all dealers don't do that as it protects them and the customer.

Last edited by Steve_R; 05-09-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I feel for you. When I owned a '79 Vette the local dealer damaged the front fascia not once, but twice, when it was there for service. They did accept responsibility each time and repaired the car, but I found another dealer to work on my car from then on.

Next time you go for service at a dealership, have them write on the repair order no damage noted. Then if somehing happens while the car is there, it will be harder for them to deny it.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:14 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Why are you wasting your time complaining? Act.
Research your State's small claims requirements.
No attorney required, paralegals available to help prepare your case
pro bono (free).

Receive the compensation you deserve.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

You have a fight on your hands...sorry that happened.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:06 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Unfortunately, I don't think this is an isolated occurrence. Way back in the day, my two week old L78 Chevelle spun a rod bearing. It took a few days for them to decide what they were going to do, and when I went to pick the car up, I immediately noticed a few things.

1. The service technicians had been eating lunch in my car. It smelled of greasy hamburgers and fries.

2. A roll around battery charger had been up against the driver side door, leaving a gouge in the paint in the middle of the door.

3. There were paint scrapes on both hood mounting points at the rear where the dumbasses mounted the hood.

Didn't do any good to complain, they just told me I was lucky they fixed my car at no charge.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

The reason they're hesitant to believe you is most customers lie about the damage on their car. At the Mercedes dealership where I'm a writer we started taking pictures of all the cars that come on our service drive because the damage claims were getting out of hand. Since we started doing that our damage repair cost went down over 90%.

What we first saw was that far less people claimed we damaged their cars since they saw us taking pictures and the ones that do blame us usually 4 out of 5 times the damage was there already when we reviewed the pictures.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:55 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I doubt that you will win this one. You did not inspect the car before you left and their claim maybe that it happened on your watch. No proof either way.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

If that had happened at my dealership, I'm pretty damn sure they would have taken care of it. The Service department at Hi Country Chevrolet in Aztec, NM have been outstanding in standing behind their work and honoring the "spirit" that Chevrolet used to have. I would have no qualms whatsoever taking anything to them and trusting them to do the right thing. They have gone above and beyond for me.
Sorry about your issues.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

(866)790-3600 GM Customer Care. It works!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had my C6 I brought it to the dealer for service. After the service writer did his walk around to note any existing damage on the work order, I asked him if he checked the rocker panels, because I will when I pick it up. Next thing I know he is back out on his hands knees checking for cracks on the bottom of the rockers.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:11 PM
jw38
Team Owner

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14,'18,'21

If the service manager is the fiberglass "expert" that he claims he is, he would know that Corvettes haven't been constructed with fiberglass for a very long time.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Platoface
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Well, I haven't found Bigfoot or the Easter Bunny, but my local Chevy dealer where I bought my C7 and used to take my C6 I bought elsewhere is honest. The first thing they do before I leave is a walk around, with me, to inspect for any kind of damage. While it's never happened, if there is any damage when I pick it up they own it. Not sure why all dealers don't do that as it protects them and the customer.
My Subaru dealership does this each and every time. It's why I keep going back.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:39 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

Well, I am glad you posted this up. My 2017 Camaro SS is scheduled to go there tomorrow for some repairs. Now I will make them do a thorough walk around of the car before I leave.

What is sad, is David Stanley sold out almost all of their dealerships due to bad image in the OKC Metro area and will be moving into the Dallas market, Landers bought them out. When I spoke to the service department at Landers they said no one had left during the change over other than a couple of sales guys.

Only thing I will say is ALWAYs, ALWAYs, ALWAYS walk the car with the service writer before you leave it with them and after you pick it up. I also take a pic of the mileage before I leave and the instrument cluster as a back up to know what kind of mileage they are putting on the car.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:01 AM
Tricky's Zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes you just can't get justice the proper way and have to seek alterative measures, good Luck.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by joeking
Landers Chevrolet appears to be a good place to avoid.
Landers in Benton Arkansas sucks too. I bitched about their poor workmanship and was told their best mechanic worked on it. I found lose parts and tools in it. I finished the job in their parking lot and kept the tools.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Maverick1125
Instructor

This being my first Corvette I don't know as much about the body as I wish I did.

I did some research and it seems it is easy to get stress cracks in the door if the door is slammed over and over. Since my car was in for the drivers door latch not releasing I can see how the door can eventually crack if the tech is testing the door too much and too hard.

Yet again I can't prove it and they know it. Lesson learned. Never trust any dealer and note anything when you drop it off and pick it up.

Still the service manager and staff have no sense of customer service and I will not be bringing my car back there again.

I don't understand why Landers didn't come in and clear the place of all the things that made David Stanley as bad as it was.

If you always do what you always did you will get what you always got.

Last edited by Maverick1125; 05-11-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Avoid Landers Chevrolet in Norman,Ok.

Quick Reply: Avoid Landers Chevrolet in Norman,Ok.