Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Defective Caravaggio Blower Hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:24 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Defective Caravaggio Blower Hood

When planning the make-over of my 2000 coupe, there was no question that the hood would be the blower hood from Caravaggio Corvettes. It is a beautiful hood and Caravaggio had a reputation for quality work and customer service. So in 2013 when putting the body parts together, for install after the engine and suspension work was completed, I ordered the hood from John Caravaggio. The sequence of events and the full and complete email trail follows. These comprise the total communications between John Caravaggio and myself regarding the hood in question.

Sent: September-15-16 3:31 PM
To: john@caravaggiocorvettes.com
Subject: Fiberglass Blower Hood
John,
I purchased the fiberglass blower hood from you in I believe either 2012 or 2013. The hood sat in its shipping box until about 6 months ago when the shop had finished all the mechanical upgrades and sent the car for the installation of a wide body kit and the blower hood. I received a call today to come look at the hood as it seems to be delaminating, the top skin from the frame or bottom. Please excuse the terminology as I am not an expert here.
I am awaiting the photos from the paint shop and will forward to you. The hood is now painted, black, but it is separating, starting at the lower left hand (as you face the car) corner of the front of the hood.
My question is: is this something that is repairable, or do you consider this a defect that you would replace? Candidly, I would consider this a defect but I would not expect any re-paint as part of a replacement hood, and I would ship the defective hood back to you as well.
If you would please let me know what your thoughts are as soon as convenient I would appreciate it greatly. I am fearful of driving with it as is, because I could see it peeling back at any appreciable speed. I am currently going to wait your replay or put the stock hood back on in the interim.
Thanks in advance for your consideration and I look forward to your response. Again, as soon as I get the pictures from the shop I will forward those as well.
Bill Morelli

Caravaggio response:
From: John Caravaggio [mailto:john@caravaggiocorvettes.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:56 PM
To: Morelli, Bill
Subject: RE: Fiberglass Blower Hood
Send me photos so i can see what you referring to
John

My response:
On Sep 17, 2016, at 1:30 PM, Morelli, Bill <william.morelli@capgemini.com> wrote:
Attached are the photos from the body shop.
Also, I found the original ordering information and I ordered the hood on May 30, 2013, it was delivered in July 2013.
Bill Morelli

Caravaggio response:

Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 10:00 PM
Subject: Re: Fiberglass Blower Hood

Did the inner skin separate from the outer skin. Those are two pieces that are glued together. It's the same way GM puts there hoods together. If it's the fiberglass that is delaminating from itself then it's another story. From what I see from the pics it looks like the inner has superate from the outer.
Best regards,
John Caravaggio
Caravaggio Corvettes Inc

My response:
Sent: September-22-16 11:18 PM
To: John Caravaggio
It looks my eye, not an expert, the inner is separating from the outer. Is that any less a defect? My stock hood is 16 years old and not separating. So what am I missing? How do I trust a hood that can separate at any time? I glue it together at one spot and it may separate at another. Not trying to be difficult but if this is as you said the first time you have seen this, then this particular hood is defective.
Bill Morelli

Caravaggio response:
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 11:17 AM

If the rest of the hood is still attached then it would not come part, you can send it back and i will fix re-bond it. This is not a defect.

My response:

On Sep 23, 2016, at 11:28 AM, Morelli, Bill wrote:
John
The fact that you would have to repair/re-bond the hood, is by default a defect in the hood. Gladly send it back to be re-bonded, please send me a prepaid shipping label to do so.

Caravaggio response:

Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 11:32 AM

It will be simpler and faster for me to send the adhesive and you can have the body shop do it.

Best regards,
John Caravaggio

My response:
On Sep 23, 2016, at 11:39 AM, Morelli, Bill <william.morelli@capgemini.com> wrote:
I am willing to try that. Is your adhesive a proprietary item or could the body shop obtain it locally? Are there any special procedures they must follow?
Bill Morelli

Caravaggio response:
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 12:31 PM

I will get you all the info you need shortly
Best regards,
John Caravaggio
Caravaggio Corvettes Inc

My response:
From: Morelli, Bill [mailto:william.morelli@capgemini.com]
Sent: September-25-16 7:14 PM

John,
I spoke with my body shop guy, and also a couple of others in the business as well, and the process to ensure sufficient re-bonding of the panels would require trying to separate them totally first. Then roughing the surfaces to give the adhesive some tooth, prepping adequately to remove any contamination and then re-bonding under pressure. The cost is prohibitive, and the results not assured of success.

Additionally no one who has seen the hood in person, or from pictures, disagrees that this is a defect in the hood. The reasons considered for the failure of the bond from improper preparation of the panels, including contaminated surfaces, to adhesive that may have been out of date, or adhesive left to set too long before pressing the panels together. Whatever the reason, the consensus is still that this hood is defective.

I would therefore request that you replace this defective hood, including shipping. I am not requesting that you compensate me for the prep and paint work that will have to be done again. If you desire the original hood back, I will gladly do so upon receipt of the replacement hood and with a prepaid shipping label from you for the return of the original hood.

I believe this to be the only equitable resolution to this matter.

A prompt response from you on your acceptance, or rejection, of the proposed resolution would be appropriate and appreciated.

Respectfully,
Bill Morelli

Caravaggio response:
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 11:42 AM

I can make a hood but will be 6 weeks before i can get it out. Are you driving the car.

My response:

Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 11:22 AM

John
I appreciate you making this right. Thank you. I am not driving the car until I put a stock hood on that I bought until this was resolved.

My follow-up:
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2016 12:33 AM

John
It has been 6 weeks since you agreed to replace the hood. Can you give me an anticipated ship date for the hood? Also let me know and I can give you the address to ship to.
Thank you.
Bill Morelli

No response from Caravaggio so my next follow-up:
On Dec 18, 2016, at 3:14 PM, Morelli, Bill <william.morelli@capgemini.com> wrote:
John
I have had no reply to my message below. Can you please update me on when you will be shipping the replacement hood?
Thank you.
Bill Morelli

Caravaggio response:

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:54PM
We will have it out to you in the new year
Best regards,
John Caravaggio

Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:54PM
Mid January.
Best regards,
John Caravaggio
Caravaggio Corvettes Inc

My follow-up:
On Feb 3, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Morelli, Bill wrote:
John
Has the hood shipped?
Thanks.
Bill Morelli

No response from Caravaggio, so next follow-up:
On Feb 22, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Morelli, Bill wrote:
John
Please respond with an ETA for the replacement blower hood as discussed.
Thank you.
Bill Morelli

On Mar 13, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Morelli, Bill wrote:
John
On September 30, 2016 you agreed to replace the blower hood, but said that it would take six (6) weeks to deliver.
On December 21, 2016 (twelve (12) weeks later) you said the hood would be delivered mid-January of 2017.
It is now March 13, 2017, and after a request for an update as to the ETA of the replacement hood, you have not responded, nor has the hood has been delivered.
Please provide a status of when you will ship the replacement hood.
Thank you.
Bill Morelli

Still no response from Caravaggio to date, and I sent a PM via the forum on March 23, 2017 at 8:37 AM :
John
Can you please respond to my emails and please give me the date you will ship the replacement blower hood. it is way past the expected 6 weeks you stated in September 2016 and then the mid-January 2017 time you stated again in December 2016. Thank you.
Bill Morelli.

On Mar 30, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Morelli, Bill wrote:
John
I can only assume that your failure to respond to my requests for a status on the shipment of the replacement hood means you have no plans to honor your agreement to replace the defective hood.
I will wait until April 5, 2017 for a response from you. After that date, and lacking any communication from you, I will seek all other legal remedies to settle this matter.
Bill Morelli

In summary, I have received a defective hood. I was given to believe that John Caravaggio would replace the hood as he agreed. It is now May 11, 2017 and Mr. Caravaggio not only has failed to replace the hood as promised, he now ignores any correspondence regarding the matter. I welcome John to respond here, to do the right thing, and I would be glad to accept the replacement hood as it has always been my first choice or refund my purchase price plus shipping for the hood. If the Forum Moderators believe they can intercede to resolve this issue, I am happy to have them try.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:00 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Man that sucks, I know it had been a good bet of time of when you got it from him but still in the box like new. Seems bad on his part not to make good on the hood. More so even after he had said he would. Good luck. Hope a MOD can help you get some kind of message from him on this... Robert
Old 05-23-2017, 02:49 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Follow-up

It has been 12 days since I posted this thread on the forum, yet unfortunately posting on the forum has garnered no more of a response from Caravaggio than previous emails, PM’s, or phone calls. It is very apparent that Mr. Caravaggio does not plan on honoring his agreement to replace the defective hood as he agreed to do on September 30, 2016. I am having a used stock hood fitted, painted, and installed, as I already sold my original stock hood after receiving the original shipped blower hood from Caravaggio. However, just to be clear, I have been patient and given Caravaggio every opportunity to make this right but he has not. I can only leave this thread as a warning to others contemplating doing business with Caravaggio. In my case, his reputation for producing quality products and stellar customer service would seem to be highly overrated to say the least. It is very disappointing as the hood has always been the expectation for my coupe. Many who have seen it comment on how well it looks, but then I have to point out the defect and the fact that I am having such difficulty in getting the manufacturer to correct the issue. I am sure this is not doing the sales of the hood any good, even though all have said they would have considered the hood for themselves before seeing the issue. I would ask the moderators to close the thread as I do not expect that Caravaggio will respond and as the customer I should not have to chase the vendor and plead for a resolution to this.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:59 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

John is a real pain to do business with, he will tell you one thing and do as he pleases not caring about the customer at all, customer no service.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
It has been 12 days since I posted this thread on the forum, yet unfortunately posting on the forum has garnered no more of a response from Caravaggio than previous emails, PM’s, or phone calls. It is very apparent that Mr. Caravaggio does not plan on honoring his agreement to replace the defective hood as he agreed to do on September 30, 2016. I am having a used stock hood fitted, painted, and installed, as I already sold my original stock hood after receiving the original shipped blower hood from Caravaggio. However, just to be clear, I have been patient and given Caravaggio every opportunity to make this right but he has not. I can only leave this thread as a warning to others contemplating doing business with Caravaggio. In my case, his reputation for producing quality products and stellar customer service would seem to be highly overrated to say the least. It is very disappointing as the hood has always been the expectation for my coupe. Many who have seen it comment on how well it looks, but then I have to point out the defect and the fact that I am having such difficulty in getting the manufacturer to correct the issue. I am sure this is not doing the sales of the hood any good, even though all have said they would have considered the hood for themselves before seeing the issue. I would ask the moderators to close the thread as I do not expect that Caravaggio will respond and as the customer I should not have to chase the vendor and plead for a resolution to this.

Get notified of new replies

To Defective Caravaggio Blower Hood

Quick Reply: Defective Caravaggio Blower Hood