Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Be careful buying from Mershon's in Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:07 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Mjfloyd1
I've never had a car older than I am before so that much is true. I wouldn't think that I would run out of gas with the gauge reading 3/4 tank but now I know to look down into the tank - it was my first drive in the car. After I filled it up, it read 1/2 tank. That's not how my gauges at work read. Mershons has agreed to fix most of the issues and come pick up the car and return it. They just never actually pick it up to fix it.

Mershons advertises that they go through the car thoroughly before delivery and even steam clean the under carriage. So, yes I did expect better.

maybe there is something in the water that makes corvette dealers in Ohio act that way... TM is another prime example...

Bill
Old 06-09-2017, 07:12 PM
Mjfloyd1
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Its called "Corvette Fever" Keith.

The only biggees on that list are the gauges and possibly the wiper motor.
All the other stuff I could knock out in a Saturday in my garage...
It looks like the back of the wiper switch is disconnected from the front of the switch for the wipers. Is that fixable or does the switch need replacement?
Old 06-09-2017, 07:15 PM
ganshert
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought a car from Mershon's. We had a verbal fix it list of similar small issues, they got most of them before I picked it up and gave me money back for the remaining items days after the deal was done. They had zero obligation to do that and I thought it was pretty stand up of them.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

he asked them to fix a few things, they agreed so why hang the op on the cross for expecting them to follow through? sure it wasnt a cheap purchase. Hey maybe he should just take it in the shorts right?
Old 06-09-2017, 11:15 PM
tomy62
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Mjfloyd1
I don't think expecting the fuel gauge to work is too much to ask when the odometer doesn't work.

I think you miss the point that they agreed to fix these things and they aren't working. They have agreed to pick it up, fix it and bring it back but never actually come to get it.

I'm not a mechanic. Thats why I paid more to have them fix the issues. I have young kids and a busy schedule so I don't have the time to work on what you see as minor issues. I wish that I did.
I have to agree with the good dr. here. Mershon's has held themselves out as experts on Corvettes for years now. They have an agreement to repair those things that were pointed out. They could have said that it was indeed, a 50 year old car and these things happen. Instead they agreed to fix them. Once those things in the agreement are corrected, then the buyer is on his own just like the rest of us.
L
Old 06-10-2017, 07:01 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Went through this thread and it is not clear to me if they verberly agreeded or had a written agreement. That mkes huge difference. You also got to remember most of these cars for sale at all the big used car lots have been sitting for a long time never driven so things are going to fail from sitting. Unless the used car lot has a team of old school techs it's going to very difficult and time consuming to have all the cars 100%.

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 06-10-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:43 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,020 Likes on 680 Posts

I disagree Nowhere Man. If Merchon's or any other seller or buyer agrees to something, it's their REPUTATION that is at stake. Legally if it is in writing and a forced settlement is made, the reputation is still not repaired. Life can be simple, just do what you say you'll do. Only then is your reputation trustworthy.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Mjfloyd1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Went through this thread and it is not clear to me if they verberly agreeded or had a written agreement. That mkes huge difference. You also got to remember most of these cars for sale at all the big used car lots have been sitting for a long time never driven so things are going to fail from sitting. Unless the used car lot has a team of old school techs it's going to very difficult and time consuming to have all the cars 100%.
I can see how post 4 (where it says that it is in writing in the first sentence) might not be clear enough...

I also have emails from the sales manager Bob agreeing to pick up, fix and return the car.

Last edited by Mjfloyd1; 06-10-2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 06-10-2017, 10:39 AM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

a few thoughts:

if they keep delaying picking up the car, offer to have it delivered, and that they reimburse the expense.

-or-

get an estimate on the repairs from a reputable shop, and ask Mershons to reimburse you for that cost.

it should at least be worth a shot
Old 06-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Mjfloyd1
Instructor

Originally Posted by wmf62

maybe there is something in the water that makes corvette dealers in Ohio act that way... TM is another prime example...

Bill
Who / what is TM?

Never mind, I figured out who TM is at Proteam Corvette

Last edited by Mjfloyd1; 06-10-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:18 PM
PhredIII
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts

The 65 coupe I bought from Mershons needed some items fixed and they fixed them. They even paid for paint damage that occurred during delivery.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:46 AM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

When in doubt, blame the victim...Shouldn't matter if the promise to fix were written or oral; unless the seller is denying that it was ever promised, the contract is enforceable...only contracts affecting real estate must be in writing. Perhaps the OP has an attorney friend who can drop them a friendly note and remind them of the law, or, get an estimate for the promised repairs, make a demand on the seller, and if that fails, off to small claims court. The OP may be very busy, so in my mind, it boils down to priorities, but rest assured, I'd chase the seller until they collapsed

Ken

Last edited by probono; 06-11-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Mjfloyd1
Instructor

Mershon's is scheduled to pick up the car on Friday!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
If its in writing then file a Better Business Bureau complaint...documenting the agreement and all subsequent interactions and how you would like to see things resolved. Many scoff at this approach but I've had success with it in several instances...
The only people that scoff in situations like this are the ones that never speak up for themselves and get screwed every chance someone gets.