Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Help Needed with "BAD" purchase @ Carlisle 2017 & Paragon

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

[QUOTE=OldCarBum;1595804424]
Originally Posted by Bill Pilon

I agree to a point and I understand the PO's frustration.
I'm sure if the PO purchased it directly from Paragon they would be willing to work with him or replace the poorly designed or poorly built bumper. That makes since.
But, the PO is calling Paragon about a bumper that is over two years old, purchased from a third party person at a show or swap meet. Paragon has no way of knowing if this bumper was installed on a vehicle, damaged or modified.
That would be like me buying a freezer from a guy on craigslist, taking it home, finding it doesn't work, then me calling GE to replace it or repair it under warranty. Not!!!
Are they legally obligated to do anything, probably not, that does not mean that taking care of the problem is not the right thing to do.

Some years ago Ford replaced many 4.0L ohc engines that were well out of warranty, no questions asked, because they knew they were defective, they were charged off as customer satisfaction as reason for replacement.

I imagine that Paragon has already lost more $ in the damage done to their reputation this thread alone has caused than it would have cost them to replace the bumper.

There is such a thing as winning the battle and losing the war.

I will certainly be sure that anything I buy in the future from a third party will not have a Paragon logo on it, I have received Paragon products from some of the major vendors, no more.

Bill
Old 10-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
I can’t imagine any of the major manufacturers feeling the need to cover sales by who-knows-who at swap meets over multiple years’ time.
You are missing the point here...the vendor was one of their people...not a "who-knows-who". Ad to that the fact Paragon told me on the phone they had a series of these bumpers that were defective, the least they could have done was have me send it back and inspect it. They did not even elude to the fact they would do anything.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkohlmn
Based on your information, I would side with Paragon. Was the vendor you purchased the bumper from a seller for Paragon or not? Are you 100% sure it is a Paragon product? Did you purchase the correct bumper for your year? I've dealt with Paragon for a lot of my parts and never a complaint.
Yes they were on question one...&...yes it is the right bumper as 3 of the 4 mountings are in the correct spot and will adapt to the car. The only problem is that the fourth mounting tab is in the wrong spot...something they alluded to being a problem of past inventory..!!
Old 10-21-2017, 12:21 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

if they wont/cant take it back,,youve got a few choices

1.throw it out
2.drill out the hole larger and fit it,then bolt it on or weld a new nut on
3.grind down the welds,move it to the right location,then rechrome new bumper
4.send out your old bumper,[make sure its straight] and have it re-chromed
Old 10-21-2017, 01:21 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaBlue14
You are missing the point here...the vendor was one of their people...not a "who-knows-who". Ad to that the fact Paragon told me on the phone they had a series of these bumpers that were defective, the least they could have done was have me send it back and inspect it. They did not even elude to the fact they would do anything.
You might want to edit the first sentence of your OP to clarify that, because as written it’s not clear.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:48 PM
LT4CMG
Le Mans Master

Received 3,491 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Question for those who know Paragon. Why would a company, with a good reputation with a community of enthusiasts, use a cheap sticker to "stamp" their name on a product that a 6 yr old could replicate with a laser printer? You'd think this day and age, they would actually stamp their name on their part to prevent every swap meet junk dealer from printing their logo and slapping it on every Chinese spec aftermarket piece of crap they get their hands on. Is Paragon this naive?

OP, I was there this year as well. I just checked the Carlisle events book I have from my goodie bag and in the Vendors A-Z section, Paragon Reproductions was there, in the C 65-72 section of the field. Do you have proof of purchase any kind? I remember a bunch of well-known vendors and dealers, then in the back, a bunch of rusted out vans and trucks peddling crap. I can't see how they can deny your claim if you produce a receipt, but if you bought it off some one-eyed Willie in the junk yard section, you're SOL sir. Don't care how many bad runs they had, you can't expect them to give you a new bumper in exchange for crap you bought from some junk dealer.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:36 PM
Palanon
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

one thing to keep in mind. the older chrome was a different chrome. it was flat with a different reflective quality. Newer chrome is formulated to better resist rust spots but lacks the pop of old chrome. If you do re-chrome ask if they do the older type.

Can you make adapter plates? if not, as others said, I'd drill out the bumper. what the heck, sounds like if it doesn't work, it's going on a wall.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Bill Pilon
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ls3zob
Question for those who know Paragon. Why would a company, with a good reputation with a community of enthusiasts, use a cheap sticker to "stamp" their name on a product that a 6 yr old could replicate with a laser printer? You'd think this day and age, they would actually stamp their name on their part to prevent every swap meet junk dealer from printing their logo and slapping it on every Chinese spec aftermarket piece of crap they get their hands on. Is Paragon this naive?

OP, I was there this year as well. I just checked the Carlisle events book I have from my goodie bag and in the Vendors A-Z section, Paragon Reproductions was there, in the C 65-72 section of the field. Do you have proof of purchase any kind? I remember a bunch of well-known vendors and dealers, then in the back, a bunch of rusted out vans and trucks peddling crap. I can't see how they can deny your claim if you produce a receipt, but if you bought it off some one-eyed Willie in the junk yard section, you're SOL sir. Don't care how many bad runs they had, you can't expect them to give you a new bumper in exchange for crap you bought from some junk dealer.
Paragon would do it, through the years I have bought some reproduction parts made by Paragon from Paragon directly and all they had on them was a paper Paragon label.

Bill

Quick Reply: Help Needed with "BAD" purchase @ Carlisle 2017 & Paragon