Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

MacMulkin Chevrolet- 2nd in sales, DEAD LAST in service!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:16 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Default MacMulkin Chevrolet- 2nd in sales, DEAD LAST in service!

Just reporting my dealership experience. Several weeks ago I booked an appointment at my local Corvette dealer, MacMulkin Chevrolet. They pride themselves on being the second largest Corvette dealer. Although they may move a lot of new Vettes, their customer service in the service department is downright atrocious.

I booked an appointment for three issues- oil change and measurement to determine rate of consumption, the roof creak TSB (which has been performed on my car previously, but it still creaks incessantly), and the rear bumper flaring out at the wheel wells.

I arrived for my appointment only to be told that all they had booked was a standard oil change. Apparently, even though I had the service representative repeat back to me the three issues over the phone, none of them were logged in the computer. Furthermore, there were no technicians available that day to look at the car anyway. Disappointed, I rescheduled for two weeks later and booked the first morning slot on a day when they were certain that my issues could be looked at.

I went to that appointment this past Thursday. Once again, the service advisor who was admitting my car seemed to know nothing more than an oil change. Keep in mind, at this point, I have already showed up once and stated the problems directly to a woman standing at a computer who seemed to be taking it all down (Noreen, maybe?). He told me they would check the car out and let me know.

2.5 hours later, with no update and after sitting around waiting, I went to check on the status of my car. He told me the oil change was performed and that they had to order parts for the roof creak. I asked about the bumper, and was told that it would require booking an appointment with the body shop. They called the body shop, and no such appointment was booked. At this point, I asked to speak to the service manager because it is an hour round trip drive and I was annoyed that I had already come back once.

In short, the service manager (Scott D. Fitzgerald) told me there was no appointment booked and there was nothing they could do. I told him just get my car so I can leave (was running late after the 2.5 hour oil change) and he said they just needed to wash my car. I told him do NOT wash the car, just get me out of here already. I then explained how incredibly frustrating it is to book and attend these appointments TWICE and still not have the bumper looked at and that I felt this is entirely inconsiderate and unacceptable in terms of customer service. He told me that perhaps I should take my car to another dealer. Well, you got it Scott, I will not be back to MacMulkin! I have already spoken to two other local corvette owners who will also not be going to MacMulkin, and you can expect that trend to continue as I spread the good cheer.

They washed the car anyway. Here are some pics of the bang-up job they did! They even left a dirty towel on the passenger seat for me. A true class act down at MacMulkin Chevrolet.

So fresh and so clean!

They wash cars about as well as they book appointments.

Why even bother?

Oops missed a bug guys.

Thanks, but no thanks. You can keep your trash!

Missed the rear, apparently.

Wheels all shined up!

It is as though it was never washed at all!

If you think this is an isolated incident, go ahead and check out this guy's post, where MacMulkin forgot to tighten his oil filter. I suppose I should be grateful! https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...erience-2.html

Go ahead and search yelp and other sites for similar descriptions regarding MacMulkin's customer service in their service department. I wished I had checked in advance. Foolish of me to presume that a high-volume-selling corvette dealer would also be competent in servicing corvettes. There was another corvette owner there that morning who was returning from his failed service visit, who told me he will not be back. I am considering creating a twitter account at my friend's recommendation. Apparently it is an easy way to make noise and spare others similar trouble down the line. You would think that a dealer like this would know better in today's information age.

Oh, the woman at the cashier's desk told me she would have a higher up call me. She heard the service manager tell me to go to another dealer and recognized that he made a horrible mistake in doing so. He literally offered nothing. It was obvious that he just didn't care. I never got a call.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

I would be super pissed!!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:00 AM
VettVertGo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe a call to Tommy Jr. to at least make him aware of your experience and more importantly, his service manager's response? After all, it is HIS name that is on the sign. BTW, it is my understanding that negative reviews on the Chevy service satisfaction surveys trend to get a dealer's attention very quickly as there are significant bonus penalties for negative satisfaction surveys.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:26 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Wow!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I buy it from the dealer with the cheapest price and then try to research which dealer gives the best services. The 2 are mutually exclusive for me.

Doesn't sound like MacMulkin does a good job service wise.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Hilton Head Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

December of 2015 I was up at my daughters for Christmas. Also was in the process of buying a new Vette. Went to MacMulkin with check book in hand. Their inventory was robust and I was sure I could find what I was looking for and drive it back to Hilton Head the next day. Spent some time with the Corvette sales manager and pretty much had one picked out. I was altered that the weather was taking a turn for the worse and driving the car back would be unacceptable. I asked if they had any knowledge of a shipper and was told they didn't. I left it that I would find a shipper and be back the next morning as I was flying out later that day. Got a shipper and called the dealer. Could not get him on the phone.I wanted to make sure all the arrangements could be made before I went back to the dealership. Was told that he would call me back. Never called. Weather turned to crap so i didn't get back to the showroom so I made several attempts to call him and got no answer. Was told he would call me right back. I left a blank check with my daughter in the event we could get this deal done. Now Im at the airport and still can't get ahold of him so I flew back to SC. Now its January 2nd and I call them and still no answer or return call. Left several messages. I e-mail him and got no response. Two miles down the road is Mike Richenbach Chevrolet. Figuring that a small dealer wouldn't be able to match the deal I got in NH I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. He had what I was looking for and a bit more in stock. Low and behold I get the same deal as the second largest Vette dealer offered. Bought the car on the spot and had my daughter rip up the check. I did reach out to the general manager at MacMulkin and told him of my experience. Phone rang right after I pushed send on my PC. Surprising enough he was more full of excuses as to why I was never contacted rather that showing any concern that I wasn't. This is my 7th Vette so its not like I haven't been down this road before. Every time I see their full page add in Corvette Magazine I shudder.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

typical stealership..at least they didn't crash it (yet)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:45 PM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hilton Head Vette
December of 2015 I was up at my daughters for Christmas. Also was in the process of buying a new Vette. Went to MacMulkin with check book in hand. Their inventory was robust and I was sure I could find what I was looking for and drive it back to Hilton Head the next day. Spent some time with the Corvette sales manager and pretty much had one picked out. I was altered that the weather was taking a turn for the worse and driving the car back would be unacceptable. I asked if they had any knowledge of a shipper and was told they didn't. I left it that I would find a shipper and be back the next morning as I was flying out later that day. Got a shipper and called the dealer. Could not get him on the phone.I wanted to make sure all the arrangements could be made before I went back to the dealership. Was told that he would call me back. Never called. Weather turned to crap so i didn't get back to the showroom so I made several attempts to call him and got no answer. Was told he would call me right back. I left a blank check with my daughter in the event we could get this deal done. Now Im at the airport and still can't get ahold of him so I flew back to SC. Now its January 2nd and I call them and still no answer or return call. Left several messages. I e-mail him and got no response. Two miles down the road is Mike Richenbach Chevrolet. Figuring that a small dealer wouldn't be able to match the deal I got in NH I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. He had what I was looking for and a bit more in stock. Low and behold I get the same deal as the second largest Vette dealer offered. Bought the car on the spot and had my daughter rip up the check. I did reach out to the general manager at MacMulkin and told him of my experience. Phone rang right after I pushed send on my PC. Surprising enough he was more full of excuses as to why I was never contacted rather that showing any concern that I wasn't. This is my 7th Vette so its not like I haven't been down this road before. Every time I see their full page add in Corvette Magazine I shudder.
Just the fact you were told MacMaulkin has no knowledge of shippers seems odd.
Plenty of guys here who live out of state & bought from them had their cars shipped either directly to their home or courtesy delivery to a dealer in their area.
I thought MacMaulkin arranges that service, but maybe it's up to the buyer to do that?
Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Dayum, that's no way to do business.

"Hilton Head Vette", living in the south I have looked at Richenbach's inventory. I'll keep them in mind for my next Vette purchase.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Hilton Head Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
Just the fact you were told MacMaulkin has no knowledge of shippers seems odd.
Plenty of guys here who live out of state & bought from them had their cars shipped either directly to their home or courtesy delivery to a dealer in their area.
I thought MacMaulkin arranges that service, but maybe it's up to the buyer to do that?

As the conversation went, they, the sales rep, suggested that it would be better if I tried to find one as I wanted it shipped in an inclosed trailer.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:39 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I am actually surprised that the sales department dropped the ball. I have read countless complaints about their service department, but none regarding their sales department. I just can't stand having my time wasted. One time... ok, maybe apologize and be on the ball when I return. But to have it happen again, and to have the service manager acting nonchalant and to then tell me that maybe I should try another dealer...? Totally unacceptable!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:57 AM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Still no call from manager as promised! I wonder if I will hear from them when my parts come in...
Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 AM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

More than a month has passed. No call whatsoever. I wonder if my parts ever came in?
Old 12-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Thanks for the info and heads up. They're off my list when ordering the next Vette.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Still no update. Funny that I was never sent a service survey!

Does anyone know the process for corporate customer service in a situation like this? Must be a way to get this handled.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:24 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by rwheelz
...Must be a way to get this handled.
To get what handled? Have you called the dealer to see if the parts have come in? Maybe they "forgot."
Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Couldn't help but laugh when I got this letter.

MacMulkin: Are my parts in? Did you read my thread? I see you have time to come on here to SELL Corvettes. What good is a new car I can't have serviced or repaired?

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 08-06-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: remove photo per OP
Old 07-11-2018, 09:31 AM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

MacMulkin any update? Are we going for a full year on my parts order? Time to call corporate yet?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Couldn't help but laugh when I got this letter.

MacMulkin: Are my parts in? Did you read my thread? I see you have time to come on here to SELL Corvettes. What good is a new car I can't have serviced or repaired?
MacMulkin any update? Are we going for a full year on my parts order? Time to call corporate yet?
The Vendor has been apprised of this thread and it appears they will not be posting responses here. As such, this dispute can continue off-line and the thread closed, per TF rules.

If the OP or the vendor has a new development or resolution to report, send it to me and I will add it to this thread.

OP, you might reconsider the public post of your personal information in that photo.

Get notified of new replies

To MacMulkin Chevrolet- 2nd in sales, DEAD LAST in service!

Quick Reply: MacMulkin Chevrolet- 2nd in sales, DEAD LAST in service!