Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Cstraub cam

Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 PM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cstraub cam

Anyone have the big brother cam by Chris?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:15 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

And what the heck is a "Big Brother" cam?
Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
And what the heck is a "Big Brother" cam?

It’s this one of course... I talked to Chris and that’s what he called it lol
Old 12-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

I have no idea what cam that is, but I did have a C Struab roller in my 383 for 100 miles and yanked it back out and put a Bullet roller in its place. Straub cam was a POS and hghly disappointed with it. Did not even come close to his estimate of power...and he gave me the wrong springs for the cam and then when I confronted him about it he said " I would have NEVER suggested that you use those springs with that cam". Well, I had the cam card in front of me that he sent and it CLEARLY had written on it the springs he sent me. Finally, CS said that the springs should have been LS springs that should have been used with my cam. Nothing but excuses from that guy. My motor runs good with the Bullet cam that Tim at Bullet racing suggested I use with my combo. Go with Bullet and talk to Tim, he is a very nice guy, was a GM engineer I believe and knows what he is doing.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Ive got a Straub cam in my big block. I dont remember which one. I consider Chris to be 100% up front and honest. His customer service is top notch. Give him a call.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I have no idea what cam that is, but I did have a C Struab roller in my 383 for 100 miles and yanked it back out and put a Bullet roller in its place. Straub cam was a POS and hghly disappointed with it. Did not even come close to his estimate of power...and he gave me the wrong springs for the cam and then when I confronted him about it he said " I would have NEVER suggested that you use those springs with that cam". Well, I had the cam card in front of me that he sent and it CLEARLY had written on it the springs he sent me. Finally, CS said that the springs should have been LS springs that should have been used with my cam. Nothing but excuses from that guy. My motor runs good with the Bullet cam that Tim at Bullet racing suggested I use with my combo. Go with Bullet and talk to Tim, he is a very nice guy, was a GM engineer I believe and knows what he is doing.
well that kinda sucks, I thought Straub cams were great....I guess I need to do more research
Old 12-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scottd
Ive got a Straub cam in my big block. I dont remember which one. I consider Chris to be 100% up front and honest. His customer service is top notch. Give him a call.
i did, that was the cam he recommended me. Seemed like an upfront guy.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Originally Posted by Muzzyzx7rr
well that kinda sucks, I thought Straub cams were great....I guess I need to do more research
I thought the same thing just like you and did some research on him before pulling the trigger, he is pricey. It was a BAD experience with him his cam and springs, but in his defense he did return all calls from me and his customer service seemed OK, but the excuses were over the top and I had enough and yanked the cam out which was a pricey thing to do at that point, but I had no choice.

I know there are plenty of people out there that would say he is OK, his cams are OK etc... but my experience was horrible unfortunately. Tim at Bullet is #1 and there are plenty of people here that run Bullet cams.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:14 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I have a Straub roller setup that he spec'ed for me. No issues and very happy with it.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Vortecpro
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

Chris Straub is dam good people!
Old 12-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vortecpro
thats what I was gathering was the consensus!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 848 Likes on 622 Posts

The above is really the first negative I have ever read about Straub, on any forum and I am on a bunch of them. I have bought parts from him and would use him in a heartbeat for a cam!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
The above is really the first negative I have ever read about Straub, on any forum and I am on a bunch of them. I have bought parts from him and would use him in a heartbeat for a cam!
my first impression from him was that he was a good guy and he had no problem being in the phone for 15 minutes explaining his camshaft and giving references. Seemed like a good guy👍
Old 12-12-2017, 10:31 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Chris is a good guy. Just spent time with him at PRI in Indy last week. He has his method of cam selection and uses his formula's to select lobes for your combo. Might be different stuff than someone else would have picked...but he has LOTS of happy customers out there.

Not sure what happened with your stuff Buccaneer.....that's really strange.

JIM
Old 12-13-2017, 12:16 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Everyone screws up at least once. I don't know anybody that hasn't, myself included.

I don't know Chris personally, just from this forum and elsewhere on the internet. He seems like a pretty straight up guy. I've seen a lot of satisfied customers online. I was impressed with his cam for Paul Dana' SBC 427. 550 HP to the rear wheels with a fairly mild grind. Say's a lot for the heads though too, but a match of cam and heads.

Mike
Old 12-13-2017, 12:46 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vortecpro
I NEVER said he wasn't, just that his cam selection was way off and the excuses were over the top, one after another. He was very polite when I talked to him and we never exchanged harsh words. I just told him I was VERY disappointed with his cam kit for the money paid and was pulling it out. After I told him what it pulled on the dyno, he said it was because of the tuner who I guess he knows or knows of and they have some odd falling-out over a dyno HP tuning war or something. Oddly enough, I never told my tuner who's cam was in my motor in first place so I can't see how that had ANY bearing on the tune or lack of it. I know the tuner at Horsepower Connection in Lake Havasu AZ and have had several other tunes finished up by him and very happy. Let's not make this something its not. I believe 427Hotrod runs a Bullet cam also. Oh, one last thing. CS did finally send me my LS springs after I pulled the cam, but did use them with the Bullet cam. If you want a CS roller cam for a 383 with only 100 miles on it, let me know.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 12-13-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:07 AM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
If you want a CS roller cam for a 383 with only 100 miles on it, let me know.
PM sent

Get notified of new replies

To Cstraub cam

Old 12-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure why you call it "big brother"? Judging from the numbers it is the same one he sold me.

I asked for something very mild, horsepower doesn't matter, just wanted a smooth idle and plenty of vacuum, this was what he sold me. Turns out it doesn't make full vacuum for the brake booster, and idle is too rough for my taste.
I think the problem with CS is that he sells you what he thinks is right instead of listening to what the customer wants.

Last edited by Danish Shark; 12-13-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Danish Shark
Not sure why you call it "big brother"? Judging from the numbers it is the same one he sold me.

I asked for something very mild, horsepower doesn't matter, just wanted a smooth idle and plenty of vacuum, this was what he sold me. Turns out it doesn't make full vacuum for the brake booster, and idle is too rough for my taste.
I think the problem with CS is that he sells you what he thinks is right instead of listening to what the customer wants.
lsa is 109 degrees which with my understanding is the opposite of a smooth idle....I told him I wanted Lopey idle and good power and that’s what he recommended, as far as calling it a big brother cam that is what he told me it was called or what he called it I didnt just come up with that name lol.

Last edited by Muzzyzx7rr; 12-13-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I think you can find lots of videos on youtube with people running that cam. It sounds decent. I know for my AFR headed 467 he sent me a 229/229 on a 109. From what I researched the 109 LSA helps build low to mid range torque numbers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cstraub cam