Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Boardwalk did not disclose material information

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 03:02 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

At the very least, the 'Selling Dealership' needs to explain why the engine what replaced since they did not disclose that. Go in upset and try to get some freebies.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:14 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

You were sold a brand new car with 7 miles on the odometer that has a brand new engine in it, all done by GM authorized service personnel. The car has a full bumper to bumper warranty, which will cover whatever rattle you have going on right now. And you want compensation why? I don't see how you have been damaged in any way.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:31 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by mschuyler
And you want compensation why? I don't see how you have been damaged in any way.
I think Foosh made a good point about potential difficulty (and valuation) come resale time, given the new engine is now part of the GMVIS record for that car. Every time someone comes on here asking about used Vettes, one of the first recommendations is go find a copy of the GMVIS.

How do you think potential buyers would react to that when they see "engine replaced" on that report?
Old 12-18-2017, 04:09 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

I disagree with some of the other posts here...

This is 100% deception by the Selling dealer!
I'd be pissed beyond compare..

Not disclosing that a NEW MOTOR was installed in a NEW car with 7 miles was ABSOLUTELY intentional.

Would the OP or ANYONE buy it if they were honest about it?
Full warranty or not... Who wants a car with that on the service record, engine replaced at 7 miles,,, Talk about a hit on resale, forget about it!

When you buy a new car, you expect it to never have been in for service until you take it there yourself after purchase. If something was found on a PDI by the dealer, something as major as a MOTOR, well, this isn't something that can be swept under the rug.

I feel the OP should DEMAND a refund or another brand new car with NO service history.
This is utterly ridiculous!

There was non disclosure, collusion to commit fraud, outright withholding of critical information to the buyer..

This deal either gets nixed or the car replaced.
Lawyer up my friend....

You have EVERY reasonable expectation to have bought a brand new car, not a car where the MOTOR has been replaced...

You would NOT have purchased that car had you been informed that the engine was replaced, you would have selected another car!

You went there to buy a brand new car, not a car that had major service with the motor replaced!

Last edited by YO-EL; 12-21-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Since you’re in Northern California I can only hope your car is at Abel. They hopefully can find the problem and fix it, they are definitely the best servicing dealership in NorCal. I would stress about that showing up on a trade or sale though, I know I would take a hard pass on that car if I was shopping when so many more are available.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rooster OG; 12-18-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Talk with your attorney... ASAP!!! Let him or her deal with the seller.
Yes, this is what you need to do. Dealer sold you a used car as a new car. That is against the law.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:58 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Don't engine components have the VIN or portions of it on them?
Old 12-18-2017, 04:59 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
Yes, this is what you need to do. Dealer sold you a used car as a new car. That is against the law.
It had 7 miles on it. How is that a used car? Lots of cars come from the factory with way more than 7 miles on the odometer. Are they used cars? The engine was replaced, apparently, though no on knows why. Has anyone even asked the dealer why? Are you sure the database entry is correct? If the car had come off the assembly line at Bowling Green and gone through QA, and it was determined that the engine needed to be replaced, would it THEN be a used car? And why have QA at all if it isn't to find and deal with issues? There is a "garage of shame" at Bowling Green where cars that have failed inspection go to be further diagnosed--and fixed. Are THESE cars then used cars? Here we have a car that was never out of the custody of the umbrella of GM. And you're saying it is now a "used car." OK. Who was the previous owner? Nobody has done any research here at all. It's like the guy who today went on a long rant about how the weather was getting cold in Bowling Green and his car was bayed, and he was sure it wouldn't get to Canada before March, so the tires were sure to crack, so, oh, what should he do? But oh wait....It's on a truck and will be delivered tomorrow. So how about wait long enough to determine what the facts are here before you start invoking lawyers? Because right now no one has any idea at all what the real issues are--if any.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:07 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Baker
It's not a used car, but it's also not quite the new car that the buyer thought they were getting. It's more of a "dealer refurbished" car with a full warranty.

What bothers me is the poster wouldn't trust the selling dealership to repair a minor issue with a rattle noise, so I doubt that the poster would trust the selling dealership to replace a defective engine if he owned the car when the defect was discovered.

Not disclosing the engine replacement was a major violation of trust. It might be against the law as well (I don't know California laws in this area).

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 12-18-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:33 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Totally unacceptable to me, I would be fit to be tied spending tens of thousands of dollars on a new car thats been torn apart....and then with a branded GMVIS to boot...I would skip right past your car if I was looking to buy...Good luck what ever direction you go...
Old 12-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
The question with the engine replacement is why it was replaced AND what was replaced along with it. If there was a major failure was the external portion of the dry sump system either PROPERLY cleaned or preferably replaced with new? Did the dealership properly manage the all important torque tube re-installation?

Most customers would want to know if a major component was replaced at the dealership in a new car prior to sale. I think pretty much every customer given the choice between two identical new cars except one had the engine replaced at the dealership would choose the one with the factory installed engine.

I'd be scared there was still metal particles in the dry sump that would contaminate the new engine. Or if the dealer just didn't install it properly. Not to say all dealers aren't capable of successfully swapping an engine, but I'd rather have a car with an engine installed by the factory. Especially a new car ! When I was shopping for a used C5, I ran across a car that had an engine replaced under warranty. The seller tried to act like it was a positive, 80k on the chassis but only 30k on the engine or whatever, but I immediately wrote that car off and kept looking.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Perhaps the engine was damaged during an earlier test drive by a potential buyer at the selling dealership. If that's the case, some other part of the drive train could have been messed up, leading to troubles and inconvenience down the road.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:33 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It is highly likely the sales people may not have known the engine was replaced. A replacement engine isn't any big deal on new or 10 to 20 year old cars. It might be a big deal on a 35+ year old collector car. If you don't plan on keeping the car long enough to find out whether or not it is a collectible vehicle I don't see why you should be bothered.

Bill
Bullshit. The last two cars I traded in the dealer had me fill out paperwork stating if the vehicles were ever damaged, had any repairs, performance modifications including changes to the exhaust system, etc.

And you don't think it is a big deal if a dealer sells a new car that had its engine replaced without telling the buyer? This is pure deception on the dealers part, plain and simple.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:01 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Talk with your attorney... ASAP!!! Let him or her deal with the seller.
Yup as always posted on CF rush to contact an attorney before you do anything else.....Jeeze.....
Old 12-18-2017, 07:10 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

What would potential buyers think if they were considering buying this car later and found out the engine was replaced already, which means non matching numbers? Would they value it as the same as a similar car with original engine. While it may be legal by the dealer IMO it is not right. Pretty bad we need to ask for a VIS report on a new car with a few miles on it.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

WOW, the dealer knew if they disclosed that the engine had been replaced, they would have a very, very difficult time selling this car. Unless they discount it big time, I can't see anyone buying this car when they can get one which has not had major surgery. I know all mechanics are not the same and I would rather have an engine replaced at the factory and NOT at the dealership. Sounds like dealer collusion.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:55 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

This is going to be a long and interesting thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Boardwalk did not disclose material information

Old 12-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
This is going to be a long and interesting thread.
And the Internet Lawyers will have a field day with it.

Me, I'm just smart enough to know that I don't know beans about what California law says on this subject.
If OP doesn't feel satisfied with what the dealer(s) is doing to make him happy, he needs a real lawyer to tell him what his options are.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:04 PM
VroomAB
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks everyone for the inputs / commentary. I have been in contact with the selling dealer and am awaiting their response. I will definitely keep this thread updated.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:10 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
What would potential buyers think if they were considering buying this car later and found out the engine was replaced already, which means non matching numbers?
Are new car engine block numbers still “matched” to the car? Does “matching numbers” mean anything now?

Quick Reply: Boardwalk did not disclose material information