Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Disaster on Out of State Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 01:29 PM
GTX JOHN
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Disaster on Out of State Delivery

I received my New Corvette this week that I bought
from Macmulkin.

The passenger door will not even open....press fit on fender
with hardly any gap!
Rear bumper is about a 1/8/1/4 inch low on one side!
The steering wheel has a inch long gouge on the rim right where I hold
the wheel.

I drove it to the local dealer that I usually buy vehicles for the last 30 years.....
They said it all should have been fixed in PDI and they were not going to do any
free adjustments.....Car currently has 22 miles on it by the time I
drove it to Dealer.

I talked to Macmulkin and they said car might be damaged from
Enclosed Shipping...but there is no damage to paint that suggests
a accident. They requested pictures and shipping inspections by transporter but indicated it is a possible transport problem....Not their problem! If I brought it back
they would probably adjust it for me (Nearly 3000 Miles)

I got a great deal......But I will never buy another car I have not personally seen!!

I will start a case with GM if possible.

I wish I had spent a little more money and bought it from a local
dealer!

I really made an big mistake this time trying to save some money!

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 12-24-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:40 PM
GTX JOHN
Pro

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
If you're the type of car buyer that needs someone to dote on them and hold their hand through a crisis like a bumper gap being 1/8" off, then you absolutely should be buying local so that you have handy access to your salesperson and service department.

But I don't actually understand why the door won't open. How about a pic or two?
It unlatches but the door is contacting the front fender....I suppose if you pull hard enough you could flex and force it open put that would damage the paint and probably the fiberglass as well!
Old 12-24-2017, 02:18 PM
GTX JOHN
Pro

There is not enough room on back of door gap to bring door back....Front fender assembly will need to go forward about a good 1/4 inch (I estimate to not contact door edge).
I am an OK mechanic (1/2 dozen Track Championships) but a creaky 70 plus and the body work intimidates me on this expensive of a car.

Yes I can afford and will pay to have everything fixed or replaced (A new steering wheel is probably not cheap either).

It just bothers me that I will have to do it....It is the experience not the money that bugs me!

Montway did the enclosed transport....But i really do not think they caused to problems as I seen not evidence of anything contacting the car...scrapes or paint damage.

I guess I am a whiner......But I think my experience might be worth considering if
you buy sight unseen and out of state.

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 12-24-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:29 PM
GTX JOHN
Pro

It had 7 miles on it when it arrived. I put the car on my lift in my garage and inspected it carefully......
There is no evidence of any scrapes or damages from loading/unloading.

The bolts are tight on everything ... It would take quite a impact to move the fender back or the rear bumper over and the damage would probably be apparent the moved everything around that significantly. I am fairly convinced it left the factory that way.

Well.....I did get over 28% of sticker. It was the very last one they had left from 2017's.

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 12-24-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:45 PM
GTX JOHN
Pro

I put it on my 4 post drive on lift not my 2 post lift. This was after discovering the damage....Not before. I did not miss the lift and drive off edge. I have been restoring Muscle Cars and building Race Car for over 50 years and can still get them on and off the lift alright.

Jessy L not Kenny handled the loading of the car and whatever Inspection they did prior to loading.

Again.....I got a smoking deal and it will not hurt me to spend some money fixing the problems = It is just annoying. The worst part is I have a lot of friends and family coming over that I wanted to take for rides....I guess they can climb in passenger window. Hope it works as I did not try it yet.

The several pictures (About Four or Five of car and couple of paperwork) sent were from quite a long distance at night. It did show Driver door open but not passenger.

I plan to buy another Z06 if I ever find a good deal = And I will be shedding this car anyway in the near future!

Again I truly appreciate the advise from everyone!

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 12-25-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you pick Montway or did MacMulkin pick them. I have seen Intercity at MacMulkin many times but not Montway.

If you picked a broker, it’s possible the car was transferred between different drivers/trucks during the trip.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:06 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Looks like Montway is a broker who then solicits bids from independent transporters. I suspect that these transporters do not have the correct ramps for loading and unloading Vettes. If the ramps are too high of an angle the driver could have grounded the nose on loading.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:05 PM
GTX JOHN
Pro

Montway told me they had 55 of their own enclosed transporters.

I spent a long time looking over on Hoist............Nary a scrape or scratch of even the most
minor sort on the underside of this car!
Old 12-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Was the driver who picked up the car the same driver who delivered the car to you?
Old 12-25-2017, 11:33 PM
GTX JOHN
Pro

Talked to Macmilkin (Jessy L) Sat. Afternoon and it was not an
encouraging conversation for me.

I will take this car back to Local Dealer "Hat in Hand" and pay them whatever they
want within reason to repair my car.

Thanks for all the excellent advise from all my friends on this Forum.

I am just too darn old and tired to get in a War or Lawsuit over this stupid deal!!

I hope this thread will be of some help to some other people on this forum.

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 12-25-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 AM
KennyG MacMulkin
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I wouldn't expect a transport driver to note or even notice an inconsistent door gap as it's not all that uncommon for a new C7 to have miss-aligned body panels. However I certainly would expect him to open and close the passenger door to check for issues. If he/she doesn't do a proper inspection then it's an internal employer / company issue, however the transport company is still responsible for any unreported damage.
Intercity Lines notates everything even if someone sneezed on the car. I am sorry this is occurring, but it is not something that cannot be handled. I'm sad this happened over the Holiday Break and I wasn't given an opportunity to rectify this situation prior to it becoming a forum discussion where MacMulkin and Montway are both getting bashed in an unneeded way prior to us even having a conversation or reviewing the facts.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:59 AM
KennyG MacMulkin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Did you pick Montway or did MacMulkin pick them. I have seen Intercity at MacMulkin many times but not Montway.

If you picked a broker, it’s possible the car was transferred between different drivers/trucks during the trip.

We only use Intercity Transport Lines from Warren, MA. If you see another truck here, someone decided not to heed our advice on a trusted source. We work with other companies, but only if the customer chose them. We only use Intercity for a reason. We won't ship the car if it's damaged and they refuse to take it with any damage. Straight forward, quality and honest business is what we are here for. I am sorry John is going through this and I wish I was involved well before this got blown way up the chain and out of my control. I am here if you or anyone else needs any assistance.

Kenny G.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:02 PM
KennyG MacMulkin
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
You should get on the phone and raise hell about the local dealer that is refusing to make warranty repairs. I suspect they cannot sidestep this responsibility for any reason, and this is the core issue at hand. According to the OP this local dealer has admitted this situation should have been handled during the PDI. Just because it wasn't, does not relieve them of their obligation to perform warranty repairs.
I would love to, but unfortunately, this has progressed to a level higher than my dealer alone can handle. I am more than happy to go to bat for each and every one of my customers that reach out to me and allow us to repair the situation before it escalates to involve GM, Shippers, Other Dealers, The Forum, etc. Unfortunately, this is not the case and I cannot make any moves until I am given further word. Please don't mistake this for inaction from MacMulkin. Once the dust settles and the facts are collected, we should be able to get this squared away and get back to providing the best Corvette buying experience in the country.

P.S. To all MacMulkin Corvette Family members with questions, comments and concerns, please reach out to me directly! I will provide my cell phone number to you for further communications and ensure that I do everything I can to rectify an issue. If escalation is need after that, at least all options are exhausted prior to moving up the chain.

Have a Great Day All!!

Kenny G.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:32 PM
KennyG MacMulkin
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I certainly understand that.
I also assume that if this situation were reversed, and you were the "local dealer" then this man would have had his car fixed already, under warranty, and would be down the road already, enjoying his new car.
What some dealers don't understand is that even if they didn't buy the Corvette from you, doesn't mean they won't service it with you or buy their next Silverado, etc. Build relationships and support the Chevy brand as a whole. Every time somebody buys a Chevy, it keeps the brand going, thus feeding everyone in a sense. We don't turn away anyone in service unless there is an universally acceptable reason or our hands are tied by GM. We all signed the same dealer agreement to take care of everyone and as stated before, you make more money from servicing a car than the sale. Especially at the prices we are blowing them out for currently. We are basically giving away millions of dollars in service money to other dealers using our current nationwide sales model. Let's keep the Corvette brand going, no matter what dealer you are.

Kenny G.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:31 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

OK, this thread has been moved to Transactions Feedback and most of "speculation by those who do not have direct knowledge of the issue." has been removed.

From the Unresolved Disputes sticky thread in Transactions Feedback:
The Forum allows a factual post on an unresolved dispute with a vendor or another member once all efforts to resolve the issue offline have been exhausted. Then, the post must be factual and cannot be used to bash the vendor or the member. Once the post has been made, it cannot be repeated in other sections or on other days.

Moderators will try to leave such threads open until everybody with direct knowledge of the issue being addressed has had a chance to provide their version of the facts. The thread must not become a running debate on the accuracy of the “facts” and may not deteriorate into an exchange of personal attacks. Neither should be used as an opportunity for speculation by those who do not have direct knowledge of the issue.

Once there has been the opportunity for the facts on all sides to be posted, the thread will be locked. It will remain in the database and will be available for review by those who are researching the topic, vendor or member. If there are updates from either the seller or the buyer after the dispute thread is closed, we will add them to the thread. Except under special circumstances, dispute threads will not be deleted after the dispute is resolved. We believe it's sometimes more useful to see how a dispute has been resolved than it is to see that a dispute had been posted.
OP and MacMulkin - we will make updates to this thread from either party as we receive them.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 12-27-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:49 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

The OP, GTX JOHN, has provided an update:

I adjusted the door...About a 15 minute deal for a novice.
Posted 5 Star review on Montway's Website. They did a great job again for me just like last time across country with my 2015 Vette.
I had a number of body shops including two local dealer inspect the car....All agree that it was a factory fit problem on panels and not shipping damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Disaster on Out of State Delivery

Quick Reply: Disaster on Out of State Delivery