Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Corvette World of Houston Sold Me A Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 10:36 AM
Wheelzz
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette World of Houston Sold Me A Lemon

This thread isn't a rant, but rather cautious comments for those in the market for a Vette and considering any car available at Corvette World. After looking at several pre-owned options - Gallardo, Huracan, GT3, Viper, NSX, etc. - I decided on the C7 Z06. Where else can you find that kind of value in an 80-150k price range (including all of my options).

My first attempt to purchase, which was a white Z06, didn't happen when someone beat me to the punch by a day...I barely missed it, but I hope the new owner is enjoying it.

However, Corvette World of Houston was right down the road and had a gorgeous, uniquely optioned shark gray 3LZ , only it had a 10k premium over the white Z06 I barely missed. After a clean CarFax check, I went in to purchase and spoke with the sales manager. There was a bit of a red flag flying up when he said he didn't know anything about the car and couldn't tell me if there were any previous wrecks or mechanical issues. He did ensure me that they run every car through a very detailed inspection, and that was enough to give me peace of mind to go through with the deal (I say deal lightly, as they will not negotiate the price of any car).

An hour later, and I'm off as a proud owner of a killer looking Z06, which happens to be the most expensive auto purchase I've ever made. It drove a little rough, kind of like it needed an alignment, but I just assumed everything else was ok. Short story long, I threw down a large deposit to one of the most reputable GM performance shops in the US for a Procharger conversion, ported heads, custom blower cam, new converter, etc., as well as a significant amount for new wheels and toyo's from Deity to complement everything. Now we're well over the 100k mark at this point ($139,000 to be exact). About a month and a half later, I also purchased a pre-owned McLaren 570s, and after some stick time behind the wheel, I decided to sell the Vette.

It only took about 10-20 minutes for a couple of dealers to determine the car had been in a moderate to severe accident just a month from when I purchased the car (autocheck.com). I had multiple dealers check to make sure their stories checked out, and I have a call logged into a few others to determine next steps, but I wanted to share my experience in case anyone was considering purchasing a Vette from Corvette World. Other's experience may be very different, and it's possible you could get a solid car from them, but the 3 times I've contacted Corvette World they haven't responded, and based on the sales manager playing dumb and staying quiet throughout the purchasing process, it's easy to see the shady sales tactics that should have pointed me towards a different direction.

Now it's either eat $139,000 and keep the car, or sell it for somewhere in the neighborhood of $55,000...that's the top dollar any dealer is willing to pay around town. Best of luck to those looking at purchasing a pre-owned Z06...with this post, hopefully you'll spend the extra $25 for an autocheck - autocheck.com - no matter what the dealer or CarFax says...and be cautious if you even speak with someone at Corvette World. Or PM me for a good deal ;-)
Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 PM
Doctor Mark
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 118 Posts

I am sorry for your situation but in all due respects you failed to do due diligence in the purchase. When dealing with a used car dealer, I usually assume they are not being truthful. Any purchase should include a good prepurchase inspection and review of Carfax before any money changes hands. Additionally, modification that voids a vehicle warranty makes any car a difficult sale.
I wish you all the best but hopefully this is a lesson learned. You are looking at a Mac, this applies even more so to an exotic. Repairs costs can bring tears to your eyes.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:41 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosted
This thread isn't a rant, but rather cautious comments for those in the market for a Vette and considering any car available at Corvette World. After looking at several pre-owned options - Gallardo, Huracan, GT3, Viper, NSX, etc. - I decided on the C7 Z06. Where else can you find that kind of value in an 80-150k price range (including all of my options).

My first attempt to purchase, which was a white Z06, didn't happen when someone beat me to the punch by a day...I barely missed it, but I hope the new owner is enjoying it.

However, Corvette World of Houston was right down the road and had a gorgeous, uniquely optioned shark gray 3LZ , only it had a 10k premium over the white Z06 I barely missed. After a clean CarFax check, I went in to purchase and spoke with the sales manager. There was a bit of a red flag flying up when he said he didn't know anything about the car and couldn't tell me if there were any previous wrecks or mechanical issues. He did ensure me that they run every car through a very detailed inspection, and that was enough to give me peace of mind to go through with the deal (I say deal lightly, as they will not negotiate the price of any car).

An hour later, and I'm off as a proud owner of a killer looking Z06, which happens to be the most expensive auto purchase I've ever made. It drove a little rough, kind of like it needed an alignment, but I just assumed everything else was ok. Short story long, I threw down a large deposit to one of the most reputable GM performance shops in the US for a Procharger conversion, ported heads, custom blower cam, new converter, etc., as well as a significant amount for new wheels and toyo's from Deity to complement everything. Now we're well over the 100k mark at this point ($139,000 to be exact). About a month and a half later, I also purchased a pre-owned McLaren 570s, and after some stick time behind the wheel, I decided to sell the Vette.

It only took about 10-20 minutes for a couple of dealers to determine the car had been in a moderate to severe accident just a month from when I purchased the car (autocheck.com). I had multiple dealers check to make sure their stories checked out, and I have a call logged into a few others to determine next steps, but I wanted to share my experience in case anyone was considering purchasing a Vette from Corvette World. Other's experience may be very different, and it's possible you could get a solid car from them, but the 3 times I've contacted Corvette World they haven't responded, and based on the sales manager playing dumb and staying quiet throughout the purchasing process, it's easy to see the shady sales tactics that should have pointed me towards a different direction.

Now it's either eat $139,000 and keep the car, or sell it for somewhere in the neighborhood of $55,000...that's the top dollar any dealer is willing to pay around town. Best of luck to those looking at purchasing a pre-owned Z06...with this post, hopefully you'll spend the extra $25 for an autocheck - autocheck.com - no matter what the dealer or CarFax says...and be cautious if you even speak with someone at Corvette World. Or PM me for a good deal ;-)
Your going to go car poor and broke the way you handle your cars and purchase's. You have a 139k in a used Z06? Then while buying the MAC car! Wow just wow! Not any shading tactic's. You should hire an advisor!
But doubt you would listen
Old 12-31-2017, 01:22 PM
smbsocal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If someone sells the car right after an accident the accident may not show up until after you purchased the used car.

When purchasing a high value used car it is best to have a third party inspect the car for issues such as this.

Also note that modifications done to a car does not increase the value of the car and can in fact decrease the value, even if done by a reputable shop.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:02 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Sorry about the situation but frankly, you did it to yourself. You obviously and completely did not do your due diligence. A very expensive lesson to learn. If you search on here, CF, you will find detailed methods and websites to check first, not after you buy the car.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:24 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

Couple of thoughts - 1 if you have a clean car fax that was provided to you or the car fax still shows clean you might have a case with car fax
Second - do more homework before you buy your next car
Third- I'm not surprised at the offers dealers gave you no hit or hit - I have friends buying
New 3LZ Zo6's for mid 80's. You have a used, highly modified car - all turnoffs to dealers in a
Market that I think is over saturated with C7 zo6' hence the huge discounts being handed out by Chevy
Old 01-02-2018, 12:41 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,324 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Thread closed as the only posts are by third parties not involved in the Transaction.

If the vendor would like to respond, PM me and I’ll add it to the thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette World of Houston Sold Me A Lemon

Quick Reply: Corvette World of Houston Sold Me A Lemon