Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Please give your opinion of this super T 10

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
I think if it were mine I would do what I could to get my money back from the seller. If that is the description he gave you then he totally misrepresented it, no matter what he thinks he knows about it. Don’t know if that is possible at this point, but I don’t think I could feel comfortable running that trans as is. There are too many good used tranny’s around to settle for that, especially represented as a seal change and lube away from running it. No way! I mean he didn’t even change the seals as he said he would. If it was that easy, why didn’t he do it.
I did not want to write this but I agree. That is what small claims court it for.

My intentions in this reply is to NOT stir anything up. I will not mention it again.

DUB
Old 05-18-2018, 06:02 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 855 Likes on 626 Posts

I actually was going to mention small claims court too! That is blatantly dishonest the way that transmission was represented to him. Gotta draw a line in the sand somewhere and this would be across my line.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

question for bats.....from whom did you buy this beauty? I think we all want to know
Old 05-18-2018, 10:47 PM
whateverpratt
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks.

If it was me and I was just lacking a trans (though your avatar looks like you might be in a rather extensive rebuild), I would run it until I found another then swap it (assuming the seller didn't work with me which he probably won't).

But if you have other things besides the trans that are keeping the vette inoperable, you might as well go for the full rebuild or find another.

For me it would just depend on where I was as far as getting back on the road.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:33 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
question for bats.....from whom did you buy this beauty? I think we all want to know

Red,

Its the ad in parts section, parting out 78 pace car

You guys know me, My car, my project is low budget however this trans doesnt have a bearing on when i will finally get her going, that is dictated by my health and funds, of course what i paid for this trans thinking i was getting good to go parts was a hit to my car funds, and a hit to me for trusting.

When this deal was forming the seller was very friendly came on like i met a new car buddy, he dropped the price and offered to deliver it, said he was going through it, doing seals , fluid and it would be good to go,

I want to stress that the issue on my end is what i paid for and received in my opinion is not at all how it was repersented or described,
I gauged my opinion on what i would be getting from both the sellers ad on here and his texts which are many and i did of course save.

I did contact him about it not being what i thought i was getting and my focus wasnt even the other parts i got in the package, which are not great either.
the condition of the pedals,
Linkage and other related parts which are badly pitted, bolts rust froze to linkage with bad pits on threads, etc, some has been cleaned a little and hit with grease and spray paint,
The rust condition was to the extent things like the netrual switch and brake spring are rusted away,
To me, That isnt good to go or even usable as is.

When i hit him text I focused on the trans,
I will openly admit besides obvious things like a broken part or rounded of teeth i wouldnt know a good gearbox from a bad one but rust cant be good anytime anywhere, and i saw rusty sludge gunk under the forks, the sliders pitted, even patches on big gear teeth, all the orange, im thinking this cant be go to install this way,

I simply believed from what seller told me i was getting a nice clean ready to install trans, far closer to what grumpy posted not a rusted up core needing rebuild with unknown amount of parts needing replaced, never was i told this is a core needing overhaul, i was told its ready to go, and he was making sure of that, that he knows transmissions.

I paid double perhaps triple the going rate for this and yeah, it makes me feel sick.
Had i wanted a core, i would paid a core price and all would be fine.

Like i said the moment i wasnt happy the sellers friendly face was gone i was the bad guy, blamed and greated with texted anger, cussing and name calling and being told the trans is fine, wipe it with a scotch pad.
This doesnt reflex what i was told before i bought it,
I was given the impression more than once the trans would be good to go.

Nope, I didnt check it when he delivered it, i was having a bad day and truth is i did take him at his word on it, you guys would think i would know better, but he seemed like a great guy wanting to do right, in fact i was very surprised how hostile he got, i thought he would simply stand behind it no big deal.
In his haze of angry The seller offered when in my area to pop in new seal that he said before i bought it he would have done when getting it good to go for me but didnt get around to doing,

He even offered a refund,
At this point i felt that best and when i took him up on the refund, he got really mad, with name calling etc, he said i had to set a time to bring it to his shop, he refused to come get it even while in my area even if i pay his gas,

I explained i have no way to haul it to him,
I will also add here all things considered that i wouldnt feel safe meeting him at his shop, i would feel in danger of physical harm.
So dead end there.

The seller did tell me in text to get opinions from trans shops that they will agree with him,
Hopeful, i did that and posted this thread,
I sent pics to a trans shop ( trans shop replied glass bead and rebuild ) and i asked for opinions here too because i like having lots of feedback,

From the feedback here i learned what i was afraid of,
So it is what it is and im stuck to try and make lemonaid.

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-29-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:58 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Bats, you should tell this guy in no uncertain terms you want your money back! Period! That is total and complete fraud the way he represented that transmission. Give him a very short amount of time and take him to small claims court. Do it! And I wouldn’t hesitate to out him on the forum as well if he won’t work with you.

I found the thread. You paid a bunch of money for, at best, a core Bats. I would do whatever necessary to right the wrong! Good luck and I will cross this dude off my list of ever dealing with. Hopefully he sees this thread and does the right thing.

Last edited by 69ttop502; 05-19-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:37 AM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

Bats, you should tell this guy in no uncertain terms you want your money back! Period! That is total and complete fraud the way he represented that transmission. Give him a very short amount of time and take him to small claims court. Do it! And I wouldn’t hesitate to out him on the forum as well if he won’t work with you.

I found the thread. You paid a bunch of money for, at best, a core Bats. I would do whatever necessary to right the wrong! Good luck and I will cross this dude off my list of ever dealing with. Hopefully he sees this thread and does the right thing.
Hopefully the seller will see the light and do the right thing.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:57 AM
whateverpratt
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Red,
He even offered a refund,
At this point i felt that best and when i took him up on the refund, he got really mad, with name calling etc, he said i had to set a time to bring it to his shop, he refused to come get it even while in my area even if i pay his gas,

I explained i have no way to haul it to him,
I will also add here all things considered that i wouldnt feel safe meeting him at his shop, i would feel in danger of physical harm.
So dead end there.
If he offered a refund, you need to take him up on it, but I see why you don't want to.
I see you are in Eustis. I'm about 30 miles away from you in Deltona. Where's his shop located?
Old 05-19-2018, 08:29 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Guys, many thanks for the kind words of support,

His offer of a refund isnt like getting a refund from say ecklers or pepboys,
Like i said i have no way to haul this stuff to him and its not worth risking bodily harm to myself to try, healthwise i have to play the card im delt.

After his presentations i hoped even thought he would do right by me, so i texted him, i was very surprised how he treated me,
he sees nothing wrong with the trans and got furious that i am not happy with its condition not matching his description.

This threads purpose was like he suggested i do, get more opinions,
And we see those opinions, wasnt what i wanted to hear but what i feared,

Im stuck with the trans, down the road i will figure out if i want to have it rebuilt or just take a huge loss and flip it as is to a tech type who needs a core,

Old 05-19-2018, 08:31 AM
whateverpratt
Heel & Toe

I found the thread. I see he's in Jax
I drive all over for work, so if you need help getting it back to his shop for a refund, let me know.
I hate seeing people get screwed on stuff like this because it's happened to me before
Old 05-19-2018, 02:43 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by whateverpratt
I found the thread. I see he's in Jax
I drive all over for work, so if you need help getting it back to his shop for a refund, let me know.
I hate seeing people get screwed on stuff like this because it's happened to me before
Very nice offer. I hope he takes you up on this!
Old 05-19-2018, 03:16 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Very nice offer. I hope he takes you up on this!

me too!!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:30 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I feel the need that to say something more, before moving on,

Ill start with thanks to all who gave their opinions,

The seller said to get more opinions on it, take it to a trans shop, but contray to his belief no one agrees with him this trans is in great shape, ready to go.

For reasons i have covered before and adding to that i do not believe from the overall impression the seller gave me even if i did haul this back to him a refund would be given, so no, im not hauling it to his shop.

After a lot of grinding i have the realization a lot of the fault is on me, it doesnt matter that i wasnt feeling well that day and i took him at his word being good, i should have checked it out and turned it down, passed on it. not wasting my money.

Some people do not care if they do people right and are right with the world, what does he care hes got my $$$,

Since the seller isnt going to make this right
i really have to just try to move on,

Thanks all!

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-23-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:35 PM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Well you can always sell for parts, probably get a decent price for it.
I'm always tearing my T 10 up and looking for parts...
Old 05-23-2018, 03:39 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rodnok1
Well you can always sell for parts, probably get a decent price for it.
I'm always tearing my T 10 up and looking for parts...
I paid pretty much going rate for what i got, said to be in great condition,

Ive tried to keep focus on the trans but the rest of the 4 speed conversion parts are badly rusted, deeply pitted and some things likely cant even be salvaged,

I would have to flip the trans at a rusty core price, and just take more of a hit,

i will likely at some point tear it apart and rebuild it....so much for "great condition, ready to go"

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-23-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Bats,
You were sold a tired tranny. That is your sunk cost. You might get your money back but maybe not. If not, it still has some value as a core. The difference between a good core and a bad core is a dice roll.

In case you end up keeping it, I would offer my advice. When you buy used tranny you just do not know what is in there until you tear it down. It can be salvaged and put back in service. New and used service parts are available. I have overhauled a few manual transmissions. The first ones were under the supervision of a seasoned instructor. They typically need certain parts replaced due to obvious wear, but not typically rust. If you have not worked on a few of these in the past it might seem like it is easy to make the judgement calls on each of the parts but in reality, it is not all cut and dried. The wear points ALWAYS have SOME amount of wear and it is difficult to nail down exactly the amount of wear that will require an expensive part to be replaced while you have it apart. There are the clear cut inexpensive parts that you would obviously replace but the ones that are somewhere in the middle of their service life are tough to call. This transmission has rusty parts so there might be more stuff to replace because of it. Bearings should all be replaced. The brass blocker rings should be replaced along with gaskets and seals pretty much on any overhaul. Everything else should be degreased and soaked in an acid to remove the corrosion. Replace the synchronizer sliders if they wear that would allow the transmission to pop out of gear. Those would be worn so the engagement grooves are no longer straight. Shift fork pads need to be looked at but basically you need to just open them up and replace the stuff that is truly trashed. It might not be that bad in the end. Gotta tear it down to really know what you have here.

The upside to repairing this tranny is you will know without question exactly what is in there and you will not need to "trust" a rebuilder who may or may not have reinstalled a marginal but beyond half way worn part. You get to make the call and we are here to help if you need someone to look over your shoulder. We have no other dog in the fight other that help someone along the way.

Last edited by stingr69; 05-24-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

If you keep it and decide to rebuild it get your stuff from this guy. I have bought from him before.
http://www.thegearbox.org/SuperT10.html

Get notified of new replies

To Please give your opinion of this super T 10

Old 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not my decision..but he would be hauled into court...without a doubt.

Because this transmission as we all know is not 'plug in and play'...by no means.

DUB
Old 05-24-2018, 02:05 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,330 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Since the seller and ad were essentially identified in post #25, one member has already found it and another wants to know where his shop is, this thread is now a Transaction Feedback thread.

I’ll move it to TF so he will have the opportunity to respond.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 05-24-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:31 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Since the seller and ad were essentially identified in post #25, one member has already found it and another wants to know where his shop is, this thread is now a Transaction Feedback thread.

I’ll move it to TF so he will have the opportunity to respond.
I didnt want it down there lost and tried at first to not make it a "transaction" thread but i quickly realized it would become that and get moved,

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-24-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Please give your opinion of this super T 10