Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Bad Experience with John Thorton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs, GA

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 AM
pql-lbc
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Bad Experience with John Thorton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs, GA

Forum,

Want to share a negative experience I am having with a GA Chevrolet dealership for everyone's awareness just in case you may be contemplating your next Corvette purchase. Apologize ahead of time for the long-winded post but if you're interested in feeling my pain, do read on.

Last Friday, July 6th, 2018, I took possession of a one-owner 2011 ZR1 that I purchased from John Thorton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs, GA. While driving the ZR1 home on the freeway, the car had a very noticeable vibration in the steering wheel at 70mph and above. The very next day, I took it to a high performance tire/wheel shop to have them check if the tires/wheels were out of balance. The verdict from the shop was that the front tires were worn down to their wear indicators and would need to be replaced, which was expected. However, the not-so-good news was that the right front wheel was BENT. I decided to replace the tires and had the shop balance the tires at all 4 corners, but they were unable to balance true the right front tire/wheel. For those wondering, I did test drive the car before committing to the purchase, but did not drive at speeds in excess of 70mph. The ZR1 did not exhibit this vibration at lower speeds. Additionally, while inspecting the car, I asked the salesperson about their inspection process, and was told that the car had gone through an extensive 100+ inspection and no issues were found, bald tires and a dead battery (which they replaced) not withstanding...

This last Monday (7/9), I contacted the salesperson at John Thorton Chevrolet to let them know the ZR1 I just purchased had a bent wheel. He immediately passed the issue to his Sales Manager, who called me back and expressed surprise about the wheel issue. He then asked me to bring the car back to the dealership for them to take a look before proceeding any further. On Wednesday (7/11), I took the car back to the dealership, which confirmed that the right front wheel was bent and would have to be replaced. Now here comes the rub...The Service Tech who I dealt with stated that the management was "in discussion" about this matter and that they would call me at a later time to let me know their decision. Fast forward to the following day,Thursday (7/12), after not hearing from the dealer, I called them and was told management had made the decision to NOT replace the bent wheel on the ZR1.

After being told this, I contacted and had a conversation with the General Sales Manager (Steffon Stevenson) for John Thorton Chevrolet (left a message the first time which was not responded to and had to call back the second time). The conversation was cordial but unproductive. In short, I presented Steffon with the facts on my end, specifically:

- That the issue was discovered immediately and on the same day I took delivery of the car and was driving home
- The issue was confirmed by both an independent shop and John Thorton Chevrolet's Service department
- That the issue was not disclosed to me as the buyer prior to the purchase
- That it was clear to me the wheel replacement should be the dealership's responsibility

Steffon conceded that the ZR1 definitely had a bad wheel. However, his response to the above points were:

- His dealership did perform a multi-point inspection of the vehicle before putting it on the showroom and found no discrepancy with the car
- Several employees have driven this vehicle and did not notice any vibration
- The dealership took this vehicle on a trade-in from a known customer
- The dealership was not responsible for the vehicle after I took possession. The implication here is that I may have been the one who caused the wheel issue during my 20 mile drive home from the dealership...
- The dealership's stance is that they would not be replacing the wheel, but willing to sell me a new OE wheel at their cost, approximately $935

I told Steffon he was going down the wrong road by implying that the damage to the wheel occurred after I took possession of the car, since all I did was to drive it home from the dealership, at which time, the issue was discovered. I then told him it was rather short-sighted of him to take this position, which showed more concern about the bottom-line over customer service, and if he refused to replace the damaged wheel, my next step would be to put my experience with his dealership on the internet, social media, and Yelp. Not to mention filing a complaint with the BBB. He was unmoved...

My next step will be to send a written correspondence to the General Manager of the dealership about this fiasco. If I do not get a response back from them, then it will be time for FB, Twitter, Yelp, the BBB and dealerrater.com.

PQL-LBC

Last edited by pql-lbc; 07-13-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-13-2018, 09:30 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

The unfortunate thing here is that dealerships could care less about a car once you sign on the dotted line. Only thing they care about is the bottom line. The only thing you can do is what you are doing. In the end it probably won't make much of a difference either. GL
Old 07-13-2018, 09:37 AM
pql-lbc
Pro

Originally Posted by RichKiss
The unfortunate thing here is that dealerships could care less about a car once you sign on the dotted line. Only thing they care about is the bottom line. The only thing you can do is what you are doing. In the end it probably won't make much of a difference either. GL
Very unfortunate that this is the stance of a "family owned" dealership that has been in business for over 50 years. If putting my experience out there for people to read could prevent someone from going through the same nonsense I am, that's probably worth the effort.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Elba Mike
Safety Car

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

They just lost how much on service and maintenance? Doesn't sound like good business to me.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:39 AM
pql-lbc
Pro

Originally Posted by Elba Mike
They just lost how much on service and maintenance? Doesn't sound like good business to me.
Yes. I purchased the extended service warranty for the ZR1 but will absolutely refuse to take the car back to them out of principle.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

I assume this is the black higher mileage car? I met the dealer principal at my bank, he was driving this car and said he had been driving it for a few days.

Last edited by hope2; 07-13-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:41 AM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RichKiss
as harsh as that may sound it's 100% correct. I've had a few (3) to be exact instances similar to the OP (Convertable top holes after 2 days, Aftermarket tune left on car/car goes into limp mode and another one somewhere I don't remember) I guess it's just time to vent and move on. I got 1 of 3 fixed. good luck, just fix it yourself and move on.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 AM
pql-lbc
Pro

They only had one pre-owned black ZR1 in the showroom so I would think so. 21K miles.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Unless 'certified' preowned vehicles are always sold 'As Is'.
Had to do your due diligence before signing, you know that.
Otherwise one's at the mercy/goodwill of a dealership, good luck w/ that.
Some do 'goodwill' repairs, many more lacking character don't, this sounds like a don't.

In your shoes I'd do some fast shopping.
See if an OE replacement can be had for less than their supposed 'cost'.
Otherwise take 'em up on their offer & afterwards never darken their doors again.

Bottom line they got a signed contract on their side and they've decided not to play nice.
Fine, get your wheel & spread the word and your business.

Last edited by Landru; 07-13-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

You’ve been around vettes 10 yrs.
My question is why did you take it to an independent shop and not right back to the dealer.
And everyone knows the first thing you check is the tires. Everyone’s a tire kicker.
You should have seen the tire wear. Tells me you didn’t look very well.
And who’s to say you didnt do the damage. But it’s your word against there’s.
Ad I hate To say it. But if I’m buying a ZR1. I’m taking it over 70 before I buy it.
Making sure things work

So if ya ask me you made a few mistakes as well. And I know you didn’t ask. But you did post it here so lol.

New wheels cheap. Chalk it up to experience.

Just sayin.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:20 AM
pql-lbc
Pro

Yeah, I saw the tires were coming to the end of their lifespan so was expecting to replace them. In hindsight, may be should have did a 180 and took it right back to the dealership that very day but Friday traffic during afternoon rush hour and all...

Whatever I did or didn't do should not reduce their responsibility to conduct business in a fair and above-board manner. Shame that honest car dealerships are still few and far between, even in 2018.

Yeah, new OE wheels are cheaper than the deal they're offering me.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pql-lbc
Yes. I purchased the extended service warranty for the ZR1 but will absolutely refuse to take the car back to them out of principle.
If the extended warranty is only good at their shop refusing to take it there is not a matter of principal, it is a matter of foolishness.

As for your experience:
The dealer response is unfortunate, but expected. You had the car 4 days before you complained, ample time to hit something and bend the wheel. Plus, you had the wheels off the car and had the old tires demounted and new tires mounted. Plenty of opportunities to bend a wheel.
There are two sides to every story. It would be interesting to hear the other side.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:31 AM
pql-lbc
Pro

Originally Posted by hope2
I assume this is the black higher mileage car? I met the dealer principal at my bank, he was driving this car and said he had been driving it for a few days.
Originally Posted by ruxvette
If the extended warranty is only good at their shop refusing to take it there is not a matter of principal, it is a matter of foolishness.

As for your experience:
The dealer response is unfortunate, but expected. You had the car 4 days before you complained, ample time to hit something and bend the wheel. Plus, you had the wheels off the car and had the old tires demounted and new tires mounted. Plenty of opportunities to bend a wheel.
There are two sides to every story. It would be interesting to hear the other side.
Drove the car home all of 20 miles from the dealership, noticed the vibration then. Took it to the shop the next morning and the wheel issue was diagnosed before new tires were changed out. Didn't hit any potholes while driving.

I know i'm probably pissing against the wind but what the heck...
Old 07-13-2018, 10:49 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I too had a bad experience with our local dealer but never mind that because it was irrelevant to this. What is, is the fact that for a paltry sum of less than $50 (ad that I was mad as hell) the service manager told me to more less pound sand So will I ever go back there ? NO, so instead of showing good will and saying they would step up (I was correct as told by the service writer and the tech who fixed the problem) and remedy the situation he coped an attitude right off the bat. End of story, will never go back there
NSF
Old 07-13-2018, 11:20 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by pql-lbc
Drove the car home all of 20 miles from the dealership, noticed the vibration then. Took it to the shop the next morning and the wheel issue was diagnosed before new tires were changed out. Didn't hit any potholes while driving.

I know i'm probably pissing against the wind but what the heck...
you should have drove it right back to the dealer that morning.
But yes the dealer maybe should be taking a better stand.
But if they did this with ever deal. Then what’s a contract for.
Im sure the next car you buy you won’t let this happen to ya again.
Chaulk it up to experience. And get a new replacement wheel from a forum vendor of find one here in the parts section

Old 07-13-2018, 11:44 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

To the OP, I do agree with others here when they say you should of headed back to the dealership right away when you noticed it, or at a bare minimum called them on the way home to inform them of the issue. I really don't blame the dealership in this case at all. Having someone else do work to the car and waiting a few days to contact them, both raise question marks. I'm not doubting your story, but from the dealerships view point, anything could of happened from the time you left the dealership to the time you called them, especially with the fact that you had work done somewhere else. I don't agree with or believe that bashing the dealership is warranted in this case.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:14 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,080 Likes on 634 Posts

I bought mine last June from Rick Hendricks in Duluth. Their 100 point inspection noted a noise from the right rear. I drove it home as well but came back the following Saturday, pointed to their written inspection and they not only replaced the wheel bearing but gave me a loaner car for the weekend. It all boils down to the dealership. If you don't mind the drive east to Conyers, I use John Miles for most service work. Ask for Kyle in service if you do and tell him the guy with the Yellow 07 convertible referred you....

Last edited by yellow2007; 07-13-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Experience with John Thorton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs, GA

Old 07-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Bent rim can be straighten for about $100.

But to back it up, such is the reason that you always take a used vet to an independent show to have a pre-purchase inspection done on it.

Even if the car was certified and came with a GM warranty, there are still item on the car that the GM warranty will not cover, and such will be on your dime to repair instead.

Bluntly, with the fact that there are mobil guys that will come to the shop to straighten the rim, and the fact that the GM shop will not use one of them to correct the bent rim, tells me that the car has other problems, and the shop is drawing the line in the sand now on this first item, instead of down the line of other items that may need to be repaired soon as well.

So asking/whining about a used car dealership not going above and beyond on an as-is sale, since you did not do a pre-purchase inspection yourself by an independent shop to confirm the condition/flaws of the used car, I find over the top instead.

Hence it's a ZR1, and going to be speedy to maintain in the first place. Also with the very low profile tires on the rims of the car, this will not be the first bent rim that you will need to have straightened in the ownership of the car to start with.

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.OSOcHWb39rk
Old 07-14-2018, 10:50 AM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Dano, while I always appreciate your mechanical knowledge (sometimes in awe) I have to take exception to a couple comments you made:
"Bent rim can be straighten for about $100".Perhaps. Perhaps more. I know not at all bent rims are repairable.
"Bluntly...fact that the GM shop will not use one....tells me that the car has other problems...". Interesting take. As a matter of principle I would not buy a car with a straightened wheel. Perhaps that, or the potential of the wheel coming apart later, motivated the dealer.
Personally, I bought my last 4 Corvettes sight unseen, without a third party inspection. Total mileage on the four is about 250,000 virtually trouble free miles. Was I lucky? Perhaps. I touched, crawled, looked, poked and drove the snot out of each one before money changed hands.
I am a firm believer in buyer beware. If you don't perform your own due diligence shame on you.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

"whining" is a very poor choice of words.

Quick Reply: Bad Experience with John Thorton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs, GA