Caravaggio Corvettes Bad Experience - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Caravaggio Corvettes Bad Experience

Old 08-27-2018, 05:00 PM
jdgrant

On the surface (without any verification) it seems Mr Caravaggio is using other peoples money to fund old orders. That may be part of the delay, as he begged me not to cancel my order. This pattern of robbing Peter to pay Paul I have seen before and this sure fits this particular pattern of customer abuse. What I do not understand is the seeming desire of negative repercussions that he is bringing on himself with the false/broken promises and poor/bad customer service!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:02 PM
wrkdWS6
CF Senior Member

I ended up filing a credit card dispute. The seats took several months longer to arrive than quoted. Once they arrived, the seat backs were in terrible condition (all cracked, scratched up). I sent the seats back for repair. Friend of mine spoke with them a couple days ago, there's some sort of issue where the gel-coat is not holding up well in shipping supposedly so they are no longer gel-coating the seat backs and their fix is inadequate to me. My friend's seats arrived with this cheap and ugly rhino liner looking textured coating on the seat backs (which is the fix for now). I bought and paid for these seats with the intention of getting the standard gloss black gel-coat which would perfectly match my car and want nothing to do with this rhino liner looking stuff. I don't feel good about doing the chargeback because Caravaggio will lose out on the labor, shipping, etc. but given this thread, the issues I experienced, the fact that I will likely not be receiving exactly what I paid for and thought I was getting, and the vast amount of issues that my friend is experiencing with his order, I'm walking away.

Last edited by wrkdWS6; 08-28-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:15 PM
MSG C5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MSG C5 View Post
I agree. I ordered a rear spoiler for my C5 from Caravaggio in 2011 during one of the group purchase deals and received it about four weeks later. Considering he ships from Canada and has to go through customs, etc., I think that was a good turn-around timeframe, however I also think he already had the molds completed and they were in stock due to the group buy offer.

Fast forward to June 18, 2018 when I ordered a custom steering wheel and air bag cover for my new Z06. I also pre-paid and I was quoted a build time of 5 weeks and we're now going on 10 weeks with no additional status so it can be frustrating. Many vendors are very responsive pre-sale, etc., however as many know, it's the post-sale communication that prompts repeat buyers and references.

I know he makes great stuff, however I think he needs to hire someone to manage the phones/emails.
Update on my order: As originally posted, I ordered my custom Z06 steering wheel & horn pad on June 18th. John originally quoted me a 5-week production timeline. I received my steering wheel & horn pad last Wednesday, September 12th, or approximately 12 weeks from order date. I reached out to John about two weeks ago and he replied that he was almost finished and provided me pics. He then sent me a follow-up email a few days later informing me the wheel/pad cleared customs and had shipped.

Summary - Just like the rear spoiler on my C5, I love the new steering wheel/horn pad and the custom work John does for Corvette enthusiasts. I even copied his stinger stripe design from his custom off-white C7Z convertible build for my Arctic White Z06 so the guy has a keen eye for detail. If he had told me the production timeline was 12 weeks, I still would have placed the order so I think most of the frustration on this thread and his other builds has to do with the production timeline and communications post-sale. So, if you're planning to place an order, I would plan for twice as long as quoted from a production stand point to help manage delivery expectations.

As to the issues with the seats posted above, as a C5 owner, I've read multiple threads over the years whereas high end aftermarket interior providers have worked with poor quality cores. I think this is an inherent risk once you get into modifying and/or restoring older Corvettes. I had a similar thing happen to me with a door panel core exchange with another vendor where my original cores were 100% better condition than the cores than the vendor supplied so my advice is that if you can afford the downtime, provide your original cores instead of a core exchange. I know that can be difficult and next to impossible if it's your daily driver, but it's the only way to really make sure you have quality cores for the older Corvettes.

New Z06 Steering Wheel & Horn Pad:
(Need to swap the black Rev Match paddles for the red Rev Match paddles on my current steering wheel)

Shark Gray Hood Stinger Stripe:

C5 Rear Spoiler:

Last edited by MSG C5; 09-18-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:13 PM
pjazz
CF Senior Member

I'm still considering getting some seats from him. I haven't seen any other customizer that have comparable products.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:54 AM
wrkdWS6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MSG C5 View Post

As to the issues with the seats posted above, as a C5 owner, I've read multiple threads over the years whereas high end aftermarket interior providers have worked with poor quality cores. I think this is an inherent risk once you get into modifying and/or restoring older Corvettes. I had a similar thing happen to me with a door panel core exchange with another vendor where my original cores were 100% better condition than the cores than the vendor supplied so my advice is that if you can afford the downtime, provide your original cores instead of a core exchange. I know that can be difficult and next to impossible if it's your daily driver, but it's the only way to really make sure you have quality cores for the older Corvettes.

I 100% agree with you. But Caravaggio does not use stock seat cores for their leather racing seats, they use brand new seat cores from Sparco.

To give an idea of how my seats looked when they finally arrived, this **** was all over:

Edit: The current fix involves a cheap textured rhino liner like coating on the seat cores which is completely unacceptable for a pair of seats that cost almost $3k IMO:

Last edited by wrkdWS6; 09-27-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:21 AM
wrkdWS6
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by pjazz View Post
I'm still considering getting some seats from him. I haven't seen any other customizer that have comparable products.
If you decide to place an order I have some tips for you and others:

1. Before placing the order for seats, get 100% assurance of what the seat backs will look like (my friend was told this flat black textured stuff is the temp fix for the cracked finish seat backs so I would imagine all seats will have this finish for now even though the website still states "All seat backs come in a black gel coat finish, and can be painted to match the exterior of the car at an extra cost". If you are not okay with the textured finish I would get something agreed to in writing.

2. Pay with a credit card (gives you leverage to file a dispute should **** hit the fan)

3. Request a detailed receipt with a delivery time frame in writing (the receipt must include all specific details of what you ordered down to the nitty gritty such as stitching colors, etc.) - my friend received multiple items that were not as ordered, this will be key. It will also be key should you need to file a dispute.

4. Be patient - delivery time frame will likely be 3x longer than quoted, you will have communication issues, and will be lied to but the product(s) will eventually show up.

Last edited by wrkdWS6; 09-27-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:29 PM
Vettebuyer6369

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Thanked 1,457 Times in 952 Posts

It appears the OPs issues were settled in post #23.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caravaggio Corvettes Bad Experience

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: