Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Southern Car Parts - DON'T BUY THEIR COVERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:43 PM
z06STILLER
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Southern Car Parts - DON'T BUY THEIR COVERS

I am generally not the type to do this but this company really has got my blood boiling. I have seen many other negative posts on this forum regarding Southern Car parts. Unfortunately it was after I purchased my car cover for my C7 Z06.

I bought an indoor satin cover from SCP later in the summer after I purchased my Z06. My mistake...I did not open the cover until I winterized the car about a month ago. Upon fitting the cover on my car, I realized the cover is way to small for my Z06 (stage 2 aero). Before I bought this cover - I made sure to confirm this cover fits Z06s. See below...

I sent detailed message to SCP. As you can see in my pictures...the cover clearly is too tight.

I waited a week with no response. So I called and talked to David. He told me to forward the email to him and he would "check with the warehouse". About a week and a half later I received a response from Amy telling me that they would not offer a refund because the cover is outside of the return policy time frame. It is not that I don't like the cover and would like to return it. IT DOESN'T FIT MY CAR.

I purchased a cover from SCP years ago for my C6 Z06. I was very happy with the cover and it fit nicely. This is why I used SCP for my C7 cover. However I can't even get this cover over my front bumper nor does it extend below my rocker panels. I feel that it is so tight that it could potentially scratch the paint if their is dirt/debris caught under the cover. I took it off and it is sitting in my garage until I can find another one.

I am posting this in hopes to help out some members who are looking to buy covers for their c7s specifially teh Z06/Grandsports with aero packages.

It is extremely frustrating to work with company that does not stand behind their products. With this experience and others I have read on the forum, I would put Southern Car Parts in that category.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:01 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Since they're a vendor, shouldn't this go to: Transaction Feedback Forum?
Old 12-21-2018, 01:16 PM
z06STILLER
Instructor

Perhaps. However, I was hoping to get this info out to the General C7 audience.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:47 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

So you bought the cover and never checked it out to see how it fit. You let it sit unopened for several months, which is well past their return policy window. When you FINALLY got around to using it you discovered it was a tight fit, so NOW you want to return it. Seems to me you dropped the ball on this one. You weren't paying attention. Now I know you won't agree and will come back swinging that "it's not my fault!" Well, yes, it is.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:10 PM
z06STILLER
Instructor

Originally Posted by mschuyler
So you bought the cover and never checked it out to see how it fit. You let it sit unopened for several months, which is well past their return policy window. When you FINALLY got around to using it you discovered it was a tight fit, so NOW you want to return it. Seems to me you dropped the ball on this one. You weren't paying attention. Now I know you won't agree and will come back swinging that "it's not my fault!" Well, yes, it is.
please explain to me how it is "my fault" that this cover does not fit my car. Did I miss something where covers shrink over time?
Old 12-21-2018, 02:19 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Judging by the fitment looks like it might be for a C6, The seam in the rear doesn't even align up with the corner and the mirrors look like they aren't really right. Do you still have the cover for your C6 to try and fit on the C7 and see if it fits just like this one? Could have been packaged wrong possibly.
I have the C7 cover from GM and it fits perfectly along with all seams aligning correctly.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:48 PM
z06STILLER
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed4tu
Judging by the fitment looks like it might be for a C6, The seam in the rear doesn't even align up with the corner and the mirrors look like they aren't really right. Do you still have the cover for your C6 to try and fit on the C7 and see if it fits just like this one? Could have been packaged wrong possibly.
I have the C7 cover from GM and it fits perfectly along with all seams aligning correctly.
I sold my C6 w/cover so I am not able to check. It is not a GM brand cover. It is the SCP cover.

I will be buying a GM cover for sure.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:41 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Unfortunately not checking to see if it fits ultimately falls upon you (and they did give you a month in order to do so to test their competence).

However, as a company dependent on serving a particular group of customers I believe it would have made sense, from a PR
point of view, if not to offer a full refund/exchange to at least offer some kind of break; cost plus shipping, etc. But they
have not nor are they under any financial/legal obligation to do so.
You might seek a "higher up" in the company to state your case, good luck

Last edited by dbirdhouse1; 12-21-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:07 PM
z06STILLER
Instructor

SCP has reached out to me and offered to refund the defective cover with a re-stock fee. I will proceed and hopefully all goes smooth.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:15 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by z06STILLER
SCP has reached out to me and offered to refund the defective cover with a re-stock fee. I will proceed and hopefully all goes smooth.
glad they helped ya out. I’m still thinking that a c6 cover made its way into a c7 package. Or either the fitment is just terrible.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like by half your reasonings I can send whatever the **** I want to someone buying a specific item on my site and it's not my businesses fault if they don't check it in time. I still run a great trustworthy business right.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM
z06STILLER
Instructor

This matter has been resolved. The cover didn't fit properly - defective product - I got a refund w/20% restock fee - My fault for not checking when I got it to adhere to their written policy - Got a CoverKing - She's a beaut and she fits nice.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:25 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

I still don't understand how buying something called a C6 car cover and it not fitting his C6 is his fault. You kind of expect them to give you what you gave them money for...

Buying one thing then actually being given something else is called fraud where I come from.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostwheel
I still don't understand how buying something called a C6 car cover and it not fitting his C6 is his fault. You kind of expect them to give you what you gave them money for...Buying one thing then actually being given something else is called fraud where I come from.
But in this case he has a C7. The going theory is SCP sent a C6 car cover instead. IMO, it's a C7 cover but he has stage 3 rear aero which is stretching the crap out of it. Doesn't matter. He got his money back and bought a CoverKing (good choice).
Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM
Ghostwheel
Advanced

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
But in this case he has a C7. The going theory is SCP sent a C6 car cover instead. IMO, it's a C7 cover but he has stage 3 rear aero which is stretching the crap out of it. Doesn't matter. He got his money back and bought a CoverKing (good choice).
Makes sense now
Old 01-17-2019, 06:04 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

closed as OP said its resolved.