Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts

Old 01-06-2019, 12:14 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts

Guys,

I posted a letter to the forum about bad aftermarket parts. Here is a list of bad "new parts" I have had problems with on restoration on my 1980 Corvette.

List of Bad New Parts on 1980 Corvette Restoration· Ignition Switch bad on new Flaming River Custom Column· Turn signal and headlight dim and bright switch on new Flaming River Custom Column bad· Door Lock Actuator bad – new from Zip Corvette· Door Latch Mechanism bad – new from Corvette America· Pulse Wipers – Replaced everything twice on wiper system, pulse wipers still don’t work. Windshield wiper motor didn't work at all - Zip Corvette.· Drive Shaft Coupler will not fit standard D-Shaft – new from Flaming River

Bad new Speedometer circuit board - Corvette America

Last edited by ddglanton; 01-06-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:23 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Doesnt this belong in the Transactions Feedback forum?
Old 01-06-2019, 01:27 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Moving to Transaction Feedback
Old 01-07-2019, 02:11 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Did you try checking to make sure you were getting good power and ground to the door lock module. Everyone we have tested here works. What is bad about the Corvette America lock mechanism, they do not make it but I have not seen any issues with the 78-82 ones.
Same with the wiper motor, did you bench test it to see if it works, or is it just not working in the car. You have an old car and things go wrong, but to come on here and say all the guys are selling bad parts is not accurate at all. I am sure there are plenty of new parts that do not work, and that just happens, but are doing your work on making sure those parts actually don't work or is the mechanic the issue?
Old 01-07-2019, 06:14 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by J.Abbott
Did you try checking to make sure you were getting good power and ground to the door lock module. Everyone we have tested here works. What is bad about the Corvette America lock mechanism, they do not make it but I have not seen any issues with the 78-82 ones.
Same with the wiper motor, did you bench test it to see if it works, or is it just not working in the car. You have an old car and things go wrong, but to come on here and say all the guys are selling bad parts is not accurate at all. I am sure there are plenty of new parts that do not work, and that just happens, but are doing your work on making sure those parts actually don't work or is the mechanic the issue?
Dear Sir,
I will answer and address your questions one at a time. First, if you are talking about the lock actuator, it did not work right out of the box. I replaced it with another new one and everything worked. The latch mechanism for the door, the locking mechanism is so hard to move that it cannot be locked or unlocked with the key. Too much friction or force required to move it. I disagree with your statement you made about me getting on here and saying all these guys are selling bad parts is inaccurate. It is accurate. If you are a supplier, and I assume you are, you can choose or not choose to listen to your customer base. When I change out a new part for another new part and everything works, it can be nothing else but the previous new part I replaced. I challenge you to work towards Continuous Improvement in your product and Quality Test at least a sample of the batch of parts you receive if not every one. It is not my job to bench test a new wiper motor to see if it is working. It is yours. Also, when there is a problem with a part, perform root cause analysis on returns to determine why parts are bad and take Corrective Action to get if fixed with the manufacturer. Denial there is a problem and blaming the mechanic when quality parts are not being supplied is just kicking the can down the road and a loss of business and reputation. I know who the suppliers are of good Corvette parts and who has the best return policy, and that is who I order from. Cost, to me is secondary.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ddglanton
Dear Sir,
I will answer and address your questions one at a time. First, if you are talking about the lock actuator, it did not work right out of the box. I replaced it with another new one and everything worked. The latch mechanism for the door, the locking mechanism is so hard to move that it cannot be locked or unlocked with the key. Too much friction or force required to move it. I disagree with your statement you made about me getting on here and saying all these guys are selling bad parts is inaccurate. It is accurate. If you are a supplier, and I assume you are, you can choose or not choose to listen to your customer base. When I change out a new part for another new part and everything works, it can be nothing else but the previous new part I replaced. I challenge you to work towards Continuous Improvement in your product and Quality Test at least a sample of the batch of parts you receive if not every one. It is not my job to bench test a new wiper motor to see if it is working. It is yours. Also, when there is a problem with a part, perform root cause analysis on returns to determine why parts are bad and take Corrective Action to get if fixed with the manufacturer. Denial there is a problem and blaming the mechanic when quality parts are not being supplied is just kicking the can down the road and a loss of business and reputation. I know who the suppliers are of good Corvette parts and who has the best return policy, and that is who I order from. Cost, to me is secondary.
Dear Sir,
You could not be more wrong in your evaluation here. First I am constantly checking parts and about 80% of what comes back defective is not defective. I have had ONE wiper motor come back in the last 2 years that was actually bad but we have a least 3 or 4 that are sent back every month for being defective. I am usually the one testing other manufacturers parts and helping them get them corrected when there are issues and most of them know me very well. You say that we should test every part? That is impossible for every Corvette vendor, a manufacture of their part should be doing QC and have testing procedures, but we cannot open every box and test a part before it goes on the shelf. I am very aware of the lock mechanisms, and I have not had any issues with the 78-82 units as of today. There were some issues with the early ones that were coined wrong and when you tightened the screws it would lock them up. The originals one are not flat and the early reproductions were. The lock actuators are all NOS actuators, I have seen some bad ones but the majority were electrical issues on the car.
I am not trying to say you are a bad mechanic, I don't know you and you obviously do not know us based on what you said. All I said is that with a list of all those parts and you not stating that anything was bench tested leaves one to presume maybe it was not the parts. Which by the way I get phone calls ALL day long from customers asking to how to diagnose something on their car. As far as our quality of parts, service and return policies, they have been treating us and our customers pretty well since 1977.
Justin
Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 PM
ddglanton
Heel & Toe

Your know Sir, since you said I couldn't be more wrong, then obviously I have no more to say to you. You obviously do not want to listen, but you have your mind made up. I get your point. No product improvement. No listening to the Customer. No Continuous improvement plan in place. It's do what you always have done. And that is OK. Let's let the readers of this forum decide. Am I always right about things no. But at least I am willing to listen and willing to learn and make adjustments. Of course. Unlike suppliers.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Aftermarket or Repo Parts

Search this Thread