Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

Don't ever buy Stainless Works

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 03:35 PM
JCastag
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Don't ever buy Stainless Works

This happened with my 2017 Camaro but I want my Corvette brothers to see as well.

So here is the highlights. I bought a StainlessWorks cat back exhaust... If you read my other post about this company you will see the details of what I went through.

Long story short... The system does not properly fit the car. I have been working on cars for over 25 years and have done engine rebuilds, trans rebuilds and rear diff rebuilds. After 3 installs and reinstalls this system does not fit.

I also have provided full details on the installation and what I feel are the problem pieces that may be cut or bent incorrectly to SW.

They want no part of trying to rectify the issue. They do not stand behind their product and have been super unresponsive to the issue despite me giving them complete detail on the install and potential issue.

So after going back and forth with them about the fitment issues, one of their suggestions was for me to drive my car from New Jersey to Ohio for them to take a look at my exhaust. At my expense of course

Here is what I learned....

Spend the extra money and get a top tier exhaust system if you are going to do this.... Borla, Corsa, etc.

There is a reason they are at the top and a reason the others never will be. One is customer service and another is standing behind their product.

You get what you pay for. And I will also post the detail of my entire communication with SW for all to see.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:22 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Pics?
Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 AM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

Not the first time I've heard bad things about them.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:00 AM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Pops always said you get what you pay for, sounds like you already know that but chose not to heed the age old wisdom.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by LimeRay
Pops always said you get what you pay for, sounds like you already know that but chose not to heed the age old wisdom.
It's also a loaded cliche as the big brands, corsa, borla, etc, were all at the bottom of the list at some point. This cliche is just that, used by people to kick someone while they are down and it really cannot be used to prevent anything.

Feedback, not that is how you prevent things. Learn from other's mistakes (if they share them).
Old 05-06-2019, 01:47 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Corsa cat back fit pefect on my 08 Corvette & my 10 Dodge Challenger. The Magnaflow cat back also fit perfectly on my 2014 Cadillac ATS.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:04 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

TSP are garbage as well., I was out of time so I had to make due. Had to rebend both sides of the rear part of the x-pipe. My bolt holes for the manifold had to be drilled out to line up the bolts....

learned my lesson for sure.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:34 PM
JCastag
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by LimeRay
Well I figured it was a $2400 exhaust so it should have at least fit!!! Lol

But on top of that, they have not been there to resolve the issue at all.. So it goes to show you their lifetime warranty is not worth sh$t either since this should have at least been handled as a warranty issue defect.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:37 PM
JCastag
3rd Gear

Also... Here is the detail I sent them on where I think the issue was... Again... No help from them.

So I am still having massive issues getting this thing lined up and installed correctly. I have installed plenty of complete exhaust systems and never had an issue like this.

I installed it once and left the clamps snug while I tried to line everything up, and could not get it right. The right side tips stick out about 1.5" more than the left, and whatever I do I cannot get it to seat any further. I have used a wood block and rubber mallet along the way all the way back.

Left side slip on at cat - seated perfect - slip on

Right side at at - seated perfect - bolt on flange

x pipe - I think its seated all the way, slip on, centered perfect with drive shaft

left intermediate pipe - I think its seated correctly

right intermediate pipte - I think this is where the issue is. I have a feeling this pipe was not "made properly" as it seems longer than the left side, which would cause the exact issue I have. I think this "might be defective"

left muffler pipe - I think this seats correctly, but to line up with the "left" I need to "unseat" a bit

right muffler pipe - again, this is a problem as I think the right intermediate pipe is causing an issue. Sticks out way to far!

Also, the 2.25 clamp does not fit the slip on at the left cat! This is a 2.5" pipe, so I needed to buy one. No big deal but just not acceptable to give the wrong size clamp.

The rear hangers are hitting metal to metal because this system will not seat properly. I am about ready to return this thing as it seems like either a defective part or poor quality control of the entire system.

Overall, I am not very happy with my experience so far with this $2500 exhaust! It should not take multiple attempts and half days work each time to try and install.

I have used the WD40 idea as well to try and lubricate the slip joints for easier installation. No luck.

I would like to know how to proceed from here!! I waited months for this exhaust and now it does not fit properly!

Get notified of new replies

To Don't ever buy Stainless Works