Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHROME PLATED Wheels - Sooner or later . . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 10:52 AM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a factory wheel exchange for chrome plated wheels a couple of years back. Many people warned me about chipping or flaking and I was aware of this possibility anyway cause I've had 3 sets of chrome wheels on other cars and at least one of the wheels (in one case 3 of them) eventually began the peeling process. So you'd figure I learned a lesson. well after 2 years, one of my chromes are showing signs of flaking.

Now I know, everyone tells you that you have to get them from soemone who knows how to chrome plate them." Well duh!!! The fact is I did careful research with these puppies because of previous experiences. I also went to a reputable store. So I don't think that theory carries much weight.

I'm not a chemist but I vividly remeber reading that the issue has nothing to do with how well the plating is but rather a simple issue of physics and chemistry. The chemical in the chrome plating sooner or later will lose its bond whith the chemical on the wheel due to heat and friction - its just a matter of time. And it doesn't matter how often you wash with soap and water or some other method in keeping the brake dust off the wheel. I find this eventual flaking time frame right in line with most chrome warranties which are 1-2 years. Some offer 3, like Ecklers but I've heard just as many bad stories about those wheels as well. In fact, thats why I didn' t get them there.

Besides, warranties are good when it happens once but after you have to keep replacing wheels, it gets to be a pain. And if you don't get them locally, which IMO is a big mistke, then you have to reship the wheels (Like Ecklers wants you to do). On my 300zx I had 2 wheels flake within one year and I had to make 3 separate trips down to the store to replace them.

The conclusion I've come to is sooner or later chrome wheels won't last. Some people get lucky and flaking doesn't begin for a couple of years (like in this my case). I'm even sure there is an odd situation or two out there where an owner has has incredible luck but it does seem to be a matter of time and the many complaints truly reveal this fact.

I hope this wheel that is starting to flake lasts a few more months but I will most likely be in the market for new wheels. Now I kind of wanted new wheels anyway, like the HRE 547's, but don't know about polished wheels. I've heard these don't carry the same risks as the chrome plating. The problem is polished don't look as nice. Anyone have any polished wheels that you think do look as shiny? I'd like to see them.

Quick Reply: CHROME PLATED Wheels - Sooner or later . . .