Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Repair/Goodyear Eagle GS-C

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:00 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Flat Repair/Goodyear Eagle GS-C

I have a '93 with Goodyear GS-C (OE) with only 2,000 miles. This evening I ran over a piece of metal which caused the rear (285-40) to go flat after I made it to a gas station. They plugged the tire,which held, but suggested to have a patch on the inside. Since the GS-C are as rare as hens teeth and these are almost new, can they be patched. The damage is not sidewall, but right in the middle of the tread. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Steve's98
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Like they said, just have them put a patch on the inside and you will be fine.

Steve
Old 10-02-2005, 02:07 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve's98
Like they said, just have them put a patch on the inside and you will be fine.

Steve
Steve:
Thanks for the reply. I took it to a Goodyear tire center and after taking the wheel of the manager looked at the plug and said if he broke the wheel down and the damage was larger than 3/8" he would not patch. He thought he had the GSC in stock, but as I suspected he was wrong. Still told me that I should buy new even tirerack and forgot about patch. Now I have the 'Vette at my warehouse and will take off rim and tire and put in back to my DD to a few tire stores to see if they will patch. Should I do the patch or bite the bullet and buy new. ($389.00) from Tirerack.com. BTW, the plug is holding fine, with a whole weekend of highway and local driving.
Mark
Old 10-02-2005, 07:31 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

For what it's worth I have raced on plugged tires for years. It's the only option at the track sometimes. I know they work at 145 MPH. If it holds air, I don't think it can come out.

There are certain rare instances when a plug is not good, but I cannot remember what it is.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:01 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
For what it's worth I have raced on plugged tires for years. It's the only option at the track sometimes. I know they work at 145 MPH. If it holds air, I don't think it can come out.

There are certain rare instances when a plug is not good, but I cannot remember what it is.
If you remember please post
Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-05-2005, 09:42 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

have it patched with a patch/plug combo. It'll hold fine at 150mph.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:57 AM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Originally Posted by the blur
have it patched with a patch/plug combo. It'll hold fine at 150mph.
Thanks for the reply. I am getting conflicting recommendations. Can you have a patch and a plug together. I thought the plug had to be ground down in order for the patch to adhere. Don't plan on reaching the 150mph barrier
Mark
Old 10-06-2005, 01:36 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I think he is talking about a patch that is inserted from the inside and it has a cone shaped plug that goes into the hole.

For what it's worth, I have run 140+ repeatedly on a tire that has a plug in it. I think it is Camel brand name. They sell the kits at most auto parts stores.

My only negative experience with a plug was when I was in a hurry and the tire was coated in wet snow. I think there was moisture in hole and the plug was a slow leaker. I had it pulled out and patched a few months later.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:19 AM
kaseylynn
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
It is best to use a plug and patch together. Just a plug alone doesn't seal the innerlining of the tire, allowing air to leak. Just a patch alone allows moisture inside the puncture hole to rust the steel belts. The inside of the tire has to be cleaned, buffed, cemented and patched for it to reatain air. Places that do the flat repair without taking the tire of the rim, aren't doing it correclty. Since these are such expensive tires, you should have the repair done correctly to make sure it doesn't get further damage. By the way, you should never repair the sidewall. Ofcourse, some places do, to make an extra $20. In that case you need to buy a new tire.

Get notified of new replies

To Flat Repair/Goodyear Eagle GS-C

Quick Reply: Flat Repair/Goodyear Eagle GS-C