Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reproduction Wheel Question...

Old 10-11-2005, 03:56 PM
thug29
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reproduction Wheel Question...

I am interested in getting a new set of CHROME wheels for my C5 and replace the old and worn looking polished originals.

My question is, I've never picked up and held the original factory rims in my hands before...are they as light in weight as the repo's ?

I picked up a rear wheel 18" at the store the other day and couldn't beleive how light it was...is this thing safe ?

They look sweet all shined up and I know everybody has bought them for all kinds of cars but I was a little nervous thinking this thing may fold when I'm going 90mph on the highway.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:33 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by thug29
I picked up a rear wheel 18" at the store the other day and couldn't beleive how light it was...is this thing safe ?
That's probably a question no one will be willing to answer, not even the importer of that wheel.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 10-11-2005, 10:25 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

In my experience the factory wheels are usually a few pounds lighter than the repro wheels. Weight by itself is not the only test of strength when it comes to wheels.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Admiral94
In my experience the factory wheels are usually a few pounds lighter than the repro wheels. Weight by itself is not the only test of strength when it comes to wheels.
I'm not disagreeing with Admiral, just to elaborate a bit more on the topic.

True, weight by itself is not the sole determinant of strength. However, many aftermarket wheels, some being of either poor or lower quality construction, AND light, combined with a lower profile tire can produce broken wheels, busted tires, etc. This does happen (observed, first hand) under sometimes normal operating conditions. Long way of saying that sometimes a factory wheels is lighter/heavier but designed for "normal" use.

When you go to an aftermarket wheel it can be for a more specific purpose, one of which is looks alone. At time, just going across a set of railroad tracks or through a pothole at the same speed as with a factory set of wheels, can produce results that won't make you or your wallet happy (blown tire, bent or broken wheel).

So just be careful in making your wheel and tire selection and know that you could be making a slight miscalculation.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
thug29
Pro

Great info, thanks guys but lets continue please...
So if I do decide to go this route and change to a repo style wheel because I'm looking to shine up to chrome, would you recommend one company over another ? Has anyone had a problem with a specific company's product? (LT4CompYell) You stated you had a problem could you expand on this please?
Thanks again !
Old 10-16-2005, 07:57 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Admiral94

my stock wheels are much lighter than my Motorsports
Old 10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Have you considered just investing some elbow greese or even paying someone to "polish up" your factory wheels? Going to cost a lot less than new chromes
Old 10-19-2005, 03:58 PM
87roxi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Have you considered just investing some elbow greese or even paying someone to "polish up" your factory wheels? Going to cost a lot less than new chromes
Question: When you "polish up" your factory rims, does this remove blemishes and discolorations? or is this just for if you have a decent factory rim already?

Get notified of new replies

To Reproduction Wheel Question...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reproduction Wheel Question...