Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now have some miles on new MPS tires-question....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Now have some miles on new MPS tires-question....

I have 265/40/17 on the front & 315/30/18 on the rear of my 03Z06 w/ stock size chromies. These are NOT the PS2's!
I find that when I take curves at high speeds that these tires feel like they're letting go and are near their maximum grip.
I did get a new alignment after I installed them.
I went with these tires vs. the PS2's because I liked the tread pattern better & the #'s compared to the PS2's & stock F1's are negligible or so I thought.
When I tried the same maneuvers on the F1's, the tire feedback was as if I could have done it at another 20mph...I'd be scared to attempt the same thing at an additional 20mph on these tires. As it is, it's a little scary.
Any thoughts or similar experiences???
Ron

Last edited by Dr.Ron; 10-20-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:52 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

that is not surprising at all since your tire size selection increased sidewall deflection rates and understeer tendencies
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
that is not surprising at all since your tire size selection increased sidewall deflection rates and understeer tendencies
Why is that? I went wider on the rear & stayed stock in the front.
Thanks for the response Luke.
Ron
Old 10-19-2005, 07:17 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
I have 265/45/17 on the front & 315/35/18 on the rear of my 03Z06 w/ stock size chromies. These are NOT the PS2's!
I find that when I take curves at high speeds that these tires feel like they're letting go and are near their maximum grip.
I did get a new alignment after I installed them.
I went with these tires vs. the PS2's because I liked the tread pattern better & the #'s compared to the PS2's & stock F1's are negligible or so I thought.
When I tried the same maneuvers on the F1's, the tire feedback was as if I could have done it at another 20mph...I'd be scared to attempt the same thing at an additional 20mph on these tires. As it is, it's a little scary.
Any thoughts or similar experiences???
Ron
Tire pressure will have a key effect on that as well............I find when doing that kind of fun..35 psi hot on all 4 has helped.
Each car/tire/driver WILL vary, play with your pressure first IMHE
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE
Tire pressure will have a key effect on that as well............I find when doing that kind of fun..35 psi hot on all 4 has helped.
Each car/tire/driver WILL vary, play with your pressure first IMHE
Yeah, that's what I was going to try...I'm obviously stuck w/ the tires so I figured I'd try to make the best of it. Don't get me wrong regarding the tires, I'm just very picky & sensitive to my ride...
Ron
Old 10-20-2005, 11:57 AM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron
I think the stock size tire is 265/40/17 not the 265/45/17 you listed as using.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by frank dupuy
I think the stock size tire is 265/40/17 not the 265/45/17 you listed as using.

OOps...Corrected typo. I did state stock sizes though...
Thanks!
Ron
Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Ron
Ron,
You have obviously changed the chassis dynamics insofar as altering the size of the rear tires, and their "working" relationship to the fronts. The 315 rear tires also have a higher sidewall than the 295s; yes I realize they're both 35 profile tires, but the sidewall has to be taller on the wider tire to maintain the ratio/proportion. With the bigger sidewall will come (all other things being equal) more deflection. You may also be on the fringe of tire size/rim width compatibility - I'm not sure what the Michelin's specs accomodate. Finally there is the question of construction, compounds, etc. - I would assume Luke should be more versed about this, given his job, then the rest of us, so I'll just say that this would play a role also (but how I don't know as this is relatively esoteric IMHO).
Old 10-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

!
I find that when I take curves at high speeds that these tires feel like they're letting go and are near their maximum grip. As it is, it's a little scary. Any thoughts or similar experiences???
Ron
Well at least the tires seem to give you some warning. Several months ago after installing 4 new tires on my 95 (9.5 x 17 on all 4 corners) and putting 600 miles on the tires I was zooming around my favorite 280 degree on ramp to the local highway. I kept gently feeding gas to keep the front end light. I made it 85% of the way around the turn when without any squeel or other warning all 4 tires lost their grip at the same time and I found myself in a 4 wheel drift heading sideways towards the jersey barrier at close to 50

It was a very interesting experience to say the least.

My tires are 270/40/17 on all 4 corners and I was at 38lbs cold (perhaps I was over inflated)

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 10-21-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wamara
Ron,
You have obviously changed the chassis dynamics insofar as altering the size of the rear tires, and their "working" relationship to the fronts. The 315 rear tires also have a higher sidewall than the 295s; yes I realize they're both 35 profile tires, but the sidewall has to be taller on the wider tire to maintain the ratio/proportion. With the bigger sidewall will come (all other things being equal) more deflection. You may also be on the fringe of tire size/rim width compatibility - I'm not sure what the Michelin's specs accomodate. Finally there is the question of construction, compounds, etc. - I would assume Luke should be more versed about this, given his job, then the rest of us, so I'll just say that this would play a role also (but how I don't know as this is relatively esoteric IMHO).
Yeah...It's the fronts that don't seem to be hugging as well as the stock sized F1's did....
It's only evident on evasive steering wheel movements or taking turns/ramps at speeds your everyday driver wouldn't even attempt, so it's no REAL issue...I just know which tires I'll be buying next (returning to).
Thanks for the responses..Any & all comments are welcome.
Ron
Old 10-26-2005, 05:10 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

the problem iss not in the front ... it is in the rear ....

by running the wider rear tire you chose you have two things going on ...

#1.) by running a shorter tire out back than you should it has less sidewall deflection than the front which will cause a car to feel "twitchy" at the limit since the tires sidewalls will continually be loading and unloading at different rates with the road undulations

#2.) by having the rear tire that wide you are effectively forcing the front tire to work to hard which is basically the definition of "induced understeer"
Old 10-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

the problem iss not in the front ... it is in the rear ....

by running the wider rear tire you chose you have two things going on ...

#1.) by running a shorter tire out back than you should it has less sidewall deflection than the front which will cause a car to feel "twitchy" at the limit since the tires sidewalls will continually be loading and unloading at different rates with the road undulations

#2.) by having the rear tire that wide you are effectively forcing the front tire to work to hard which is basically the definition of "induced understeer"
Thanks for clarifying that Luke! I guess I made a boo-boo....I thought wider tires would yield BETTER traction, not the opposite.
Would the next size up on the fronts help (275/40/17)?
Thanks again!
Ron
Old 10-28-2005, 09:09 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

the wider tires would offer better traction but, since you only put them in the rear you will only see a benefit in a straight line .....
Old 10-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

the wider tires would offer better traction but, since you only put them in the rear you will only see a benefit in a straight line .....
Thanks again. 1 more question regarding this question to you in my previous post.
Would the next size up on the fronts help (275/40/17)?
Ron
Old 10-30-2005, 02:43 PM
mike1944
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the exact same feeling when I was driving with my original GY run flats - like the car was always close to letting go. Maybe it was that those tires were stiff and would hop so much. Don't know.

Anyway, I changed over to GS-D3s and the hop and loose feeling went away. I feel a lot more confident driving. Plus now I can actually hear my radio.

Get notified of new replies

To Now have some miles on new MPS tires-question....

Quick Reply: Now have some miles on new MPS tires-question....