Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

think twice about taking your car to a tire shop. car falls off lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 04:31 PM
BBQ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default think twice about taking your car to a tire shop. car falls off lift

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30674

what a disaster. Lifting vettes can be tricky too.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:02 PM
LS6 Motor
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Angled two post lifts are the only way to hit the lift points correctly. When I had my tires mounted on my chrome ZR-1 rims, they said flat out, "We can't, and won't, lift your car!"

No problem, I brought them the rims, and tires, then mounted them on the car myself. This is Dunn Tire here in Rochester, and these guys do nice work. They are the only ones I let do an alignment, and they have a Hunter Drive on machine with ramps that are on a very slight incline, so the front spoiler isn't even close to rubbing.

If I ever walked into a shop, and saw my car in that position, I would be in prison for a veeeeeery long time......
Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 PM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

That's the problem with most shops. They don't treat customer's cars like their own and they are not very good at following directions.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Vette Threat
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
That's the problem with most shops. They don't treat customer's cars like their own and they are not very good at following directions.
I doesn't matter what other people do, if you care enough you'll be fine. I have lifted everything from Civics to Buses in the last 10 years and have not even come close to dropping one.

In alot of other lines of work you can screw up and be fine, but not in auto mechanics. One wrong mistake can easily get people injured bad or even killed.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:38 AM
silver84
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please enlighten me.

what is the special difficulty with,
Elise
'vette
or similiar?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
'04 Z06 Rocket
Racer

Old 12-05-2006, 12:17 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by KODAVETTE
No problem, I brought them the rims, and tires, then mounted them on the car myself. This is Dunn Tire here in Rochester, and these guys do nice work. They are the only ones I let do an alignment, and they have a Hunter Drive on machine with ramps that are on a very slight incline, so the front spoiler isn't even close to rubbing.

If I ever walked into a shop, and saw my car in that position, I would be in prison for a veeeeeery long time......
The last time I was in a Dunn Tire store, it was the store in Penfield, at the Bay Rd./Empire Blvd. intersection. As I was waiting to talk to the counter guy about some snow tires, I happened to glance into the shop area.

Two "minimum wage" jackasses were taking the tires and rims off a mini van, and as the removed them, they were bouncing them back and forth at each other. At one point, they almost hit another car with one of the wheel/tires. I turned and walked out.......

I have my tires/alignment done at Craig Autometrics on Winthrop St. downtown, in the former Hallman Chevrolet body shop. All the latest Hunter stuff.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:03 PM
2000R
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vette Threat
In alot of other lines of work you can screw up and be fine, but not in auto mechanics. One wrong mistake can easily get people injured bad or even killed.

Try aircrfaft maintance, still don't like jacking the 180k plane on just 3 jacks.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default jacking aircraft

I agree but try one that's worth $30 million
Old 01-13-2007, 04:50 PM
DINO84
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Sometimes for $10.00 an hour you get what you pay for.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:12 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.

Originally Posted by silver84
please enlighten me.

what is the special difficulty with,
Elise
'vette
or similiar?
If you read the thread, the Elise has some very specific jacking points, much like the Corvette does.

The Elise is a little trickier, because some of these points are hidden behind access panels (so they can keep that flat undertray for aerodynamics) and the points you use to jack half the car up are different from the ones you need to use on a lift.

The tire guys read half the manual, found the points for lifting half the car, then lifted it using those points. When they pulled the front tire off, the car became unbalenced and fell off the rack.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:01 AM
'04 Z06 Rocket
Racer

Originally Posted by From Elise Website
Update 12/4/06
Only one month later, we have come to a settlement agreement
Goodyear and their insurance were extremely coooperative and fair in their handling of my claim. Thank you Goodyear.

UPDATE: 11/10/06

Car has been deemed totaled.
OK, while I would want a new car too, and I would be very PISSED to see my car like that........
What makes this a TOTALED CAR? I've seen worse 5mph wrecks at a red light than this!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:21 AM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Been on here a few times. You can plan all you want... but you will never truely be in control of anything - sh*t happens

Get notified of new replies

To think twice about taking your car to a tire shop. car falls off lift

Quick Reply: think twice about taking your car to a tire shop. car falls off lift