Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tire balance

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 10:07 PM
ronsrkt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tire balance

I took the car into Goodyear today as a first step in trying to find the source of a vibration. I had them balance the wheels/tires on a Hunter balancer as I recomended here on the forum. One of the tires was way out of balance. After 4 different rotations and adding 5.25 oz. of counter weight to the wheel the tire just made balance (under 26). My question is how much counter weight is too much before the tire should be considered defective and replaced?
Old 03-22-2002, 04:21 PM
olephart
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Question about tire balance (ronsrkt)

I don't know the number for max balancing weights, but I know I wouldn't run that setup if I didn't have to. Either the rims or the tires (or both) are way out of line. They should have let the Hunter check the rims so you would know what the problem is.

If all of it is due to an out of round tire, you should get a new tire. I have used the Hunter on 24 tires, so far, and the only time I had a situation like yours was with some bent rims.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:10 AM
aces
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Question about tire balance (olephart)

Sometimes if you rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees it will help , if the tire is round. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Question about tire balance

Quick Reply: Question about tire balance