Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How old is too old for a "new" tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:26 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How old is too old for a "new" tire?

I found a set of Goodyear F1's with a date code of 2807 and wondering if 4yrs old was too old to move forward with? They are new and have been stored in a tire warehouse, and they are a good deal. The reason I am considering is because they are a size that is no longer offered.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

How long do you envision keeping them? I think they are fine for a few years. I know in Europe, tires are generally rated for to be good for 6 years. General rule of thumb over here is up to 10 years I believe. I think if you car is not a daily driver and is stored out of the elements, they should last longer.

I would have to consider how good a deal it was to make a decision like that.

Also, tire rack has info on this if you do a search on their site.

Rick

Last edited by C5Longhorn; 08-05-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-08-2011, 02:48 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Tires are manufactured by bonding rubber to fabric plies and steel cords. And despite the anti-aging ingredients mixed into the rubber compounds, there is a realization that tires are perishable, as well as a growing awareness that some tires will actually age out before their treads will wear out.

How many years will tires last before aging out? Unfortunately it's impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone.

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and tire manufacturers are currently studying the many variables. Exposure to the elements (sun and atmospheric), regularity of use (frequent or only occasional) and the quality of care (maintaining proper inflation pressure, wheel alignment, etc.) will all influence the answer. So while tire life depends on the service conditions and the environment in which they operate, the difficult task remains how to identify all of the variables that influence a tire's calendar age and attempt to quantify their influence.

The current industry association recommendations regarding inspecting and replacing tires due to age originate outside the United States.

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

"Environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, as well as poor storage and infrequent use, accelerate the aging process. In ideal conditions, a tyre may have a life expectancy that exceeds ten years from its date of manufacture. However, such conditions are rare. Aging may not exhibit any external indications and, since there is no non-destructive test to assess the serviceability of a tyre, even an inspection carried out by a tyre expert may not reveal the extent of any deterioration."

More recently, The Japan Automobile Tire Manufacturers Association (JATMA) recommended practice issued May, 2005, states "customers are encouraged to have their vehicle tires promptly inspected after five years of use to determine if the tires can continue to be used (recommends spare tires be inspected as well). Furthermore, even when the tires look usable, it is recommended that all tires (including spare tires) that were made more than ten years ago be replaced with new tires. Additionally, because in some cases automobile makers--based on the characteristics of the relevant vehicle--stipulate in the owner's manual the timing of tire inspection and replacement. Please read and confirm the content of the owner's manual."

Several European vehicle manufacturers of high performance sports cars, coupes and sedans identify that "under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used" in their vehicle owner's manual. However, it should be noted that European recommendations must include driving conditions that include roads like the German Autobahn, which allows vehicles to be legally driven at their top speeds for extended periods of time.

While American driving conditions don't include the high-speed challenges of the German Autobahn, Chrysler and Ford Motor Company joined their European colleagues in 2005 by recommending that tires installed as Original Equipment be replaced after six years of service. (General Motors declined to offer a recommendation until a more scientific analysis of driving conditions and tire aging could be completed).

It is important to take into account Original Equipment tires are mounted on wheels and put into service right after being received by vehicle manufacturers, so their calendar age begins immediately. However the same cannot be said of tires properly stored in a tire manufacturers' warehouse or in Tire Rack distribution centers before they go into service. Properly stored tires that are protected from the elements and not mounted on a wheel age very slowly before they are mounted and put into service.

Since Tire Rack sells tires manufactured in North and South America, as well as Europe, Africa and Asia, it's common for us to receive new tires directly from manufacturers that are already six to nine months old. Since we rotate our inventory, most of the tires we ship are less than a year old.

However, some low volume tires in sizes for limited production vehicles (i.e. Corvette ZR1, Carbon C6 Z06) can only be efficiently manufactured periodically where one short production run may produce more than a year's worth of global supply. In some of these cases, Tire Rack might receive new tires directly from the manufacturer that are already several years old.

Our experience has been that when properly stored and cared for, most street tires have a useful life in service of between six to ten years. And while part of that time is spent as the tire travels from the manufacturing plant to the manufacturer's distribution center, to the retailer and to you, the remainder is the time it spends on your vehicle.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 AM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the great write up Luke. If I end up getting these rears I will be giving you a call to get some front F1 GS-D3s
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 AM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

sounds good !!!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:58 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

On a vehicle that is for low speed light usage(i.e.local town driving)I am ok with up to 10 years.I recently took a set off of an old man's Lincoln that were 13 years old and still had tread but the belts were seperating.
If it used for high heat,heavy loads,or extended freeway usage 5-6 years is all I recommend to my customers.
Same can be said for hard cornering and high speed as well as high torque vehicles.They may be ok but is it worth the risk of your family and/or $$$ vehicle?

Get notified of new replies

To How old is too old for a "new" tire?

Quick Reply: How old is too old for a "new" tire?