Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP for 200 MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:44 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP for 200 MPH?

Hi guys, I plan to make another attempt in April to hit 200 MPH at the Mojave Magnum event and would like tire recommendations. Last year I ran 196.5 MPH in my narrow body C6 with stock sized front Pilot Sport PS2 ZP run flats and Mickey Thompson drag radials in the rear. The front tires are now 5 years old and even though they still have decent tread left, I'm concerned about their age for running at this speed. It looks like Michelin has come out with an "improved" Pilot Super Sport that is available in my stock 245/40/18 size in both run flat and non run flat models. The non run flat version is a lot less expensive vs. the run flat (~$100 per tire) so I'm leaning that direction but am wondering if the run flat version would be safer for possible blow out protection at 200 mph. Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2016, 01:27 PM
0Luke@tirerack
Former Vendor

Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

a couple of things to consider ...

#1.) The age of your current tires, 5 years old per your post, will likely not pass a tech inspection at a high speed event like you are entering.

#2.) There a two non-runflat Pilot Super Sport tires and 1 runflat version. So that you can identify them correct here are the Michelin item numbers

#03264 is a non runflat tire with a "(Y)" speed rating and a 97 load index

#08385 is a non runflat tire with a "Y" speed rating and a 97 load index

#69693 is the OE tire on a C7 Corvette it is a runflat tire with a "(Y)" speed rating and a 93 load index

The "Y" speed rating is tested to a limited top speed of 187 mph

The "(Y)" speed rating is tested to over 200mph and is the highest speed rating current available

When considering the load capacity index the higher load tire will flex less than the lower load index so, it will generate less heat internally.

When you consider how fast a tire rotates at speeds in excess of 200mph the heat it will generate can have serious consequences

If I was choosing I would select the highest speed rated and highest load capacity tire

hope this info helps and I hyer-linked those item numbers for you

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 02-01-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Luke,
Thank you so much for the quick reply and the clarification on the different specs for the various Pilot Super Sport model tires. I had considered the (Y) speed rating but had not considered the load rating differences and the effect of heat generation at 200 mph speed. It sounds like I should go with the #03264 since it not only has the (Y) speed rating, it also has a higher load rating of 1609 lbs. vs. 1433 lbs. for the #69693 run flat version being used on the C7.

As a side note, my 5 year old PS2's should still pass tech inspection as the Mojave tire spec is 6 years or newer but with 5 years and 30K miles on those tires, it's time for a change.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP for 200 MPH?

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs. Pilot Super Sport ZP for 200 MPH?