Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running 02 Z06 Wheels on stock Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:24 PM
RoninC5
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Anyone running 02 Z06 Wheels on stock Vette?

So- Need a little help here. Got a garage queen with 12 year old tires. So they need replaced obviously. Currently 295 35 18 and 275 40 17. Decided to go back to stock and ordered tires from Discount. Lo and behold (experts please don't razz me) the wheels are different size then what came on a 99 as they are Slimline GM Z06 wheels. Stock tires are not exactly the best fit. So I have 2 choices:

1. Sell wheels and get new wheels and tires in stock sizes
2. Buy expensive (looks like only summer) tires in same/similar size

I guess first question is are the larger wheels and tires adding mechanical stress to the vehicle or is the drive train/axle etc. the same? Any thought are appreciated...

Then next step. Michelin PS2's (larger size)are pretty pricey. Bridgestones are not but I imagine for a reason.

The car will not see snow or rain (on purpose) but in Colorado there are very nice mornings (like now) at 32 degrees. This is why I was looking for an A/S tire. Not an A/S tire at these sizes I don't think. I don't track but want to make a good decision for street performance and safety reasons...

These wheels look like they go for some pretty good coin but once they are gone, I have a 99 with knock offs and if I sell the car someday, that has to have an impact or at least negate a + I did not know I had when I bought the car..
Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

The Z06 wheel/tire combo will fit with no issues on your base C5 (it is a C5 correct?) C5 wheels are F/S all over the place on the Form for very little money. It should not cost much at all to find a nice set here on the forum which will match the new tires you have.

To be honest, the post was a little confusing on what sizes you had and what you got from Discount. It sounds like the PO of the car upgraded to Z06 wheels and tires which are a little bit wider than the base car tires. If you could clarify what size the new tires are and what the wheels are, I can help you sort it out better.

Shoot me a PM if you like.

vetfever
Old 02-26-2016, 07:55 AM
RoninC5
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Will do thanks. To clarify- The wheels that I have that came on the car are Slimline GM Z06 wheels which I believe are 9in ft and 10 rear diameter (1 in bigger than stock) and currently have 12 year old tires on them. 295 35 18 rear and 275 40 17 front. I did not buy the tires that were ordered as they would fit well on a stock C5 rim, but not so well on the Z06 rims. Therefore I'm starting over on tire selection. Or, option 2 is go back to stock. Hope that clarifies ?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:50 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RoninC5
Will do thanks. To clarify- The wheels that I have that came on the car are Slimline GM Z06 wheels which I believe are 9in ft and 10 rear diameter (1 in bigger than stock) and currently have 12 year old tires on them. 295 35 18 rear and 275 40 17 front. I did not buy the tires that were ordered as they would fit well on a stock C5 rim, but not so well on the Z06 rims. Therefore I'm starting over on tire selection. Or, option 2 is go back to stock. Hope that clarifies ?
Hi Michael - this info helps.

You have a slightly mixed bag of stuff going on, so I will try to clarify by starting with the OEM wheel and tire sizes:

Base C5:

Front: 17x8.5 inch wheels with 245/45/17 tires
Rear: 18x9.5 inch wheels with 275/40/18 tires

Z06:

Front: 17x9.5 inch wheel with 265/40/17 tires
Rear: 18x10.5 inch wheels with 295/35/18 tires

When you compare what your used C5 came with, you can see the PO upgraded to Z06 sizes, except he went one size wider on the front tires where he used 275mm tires instead of 265mm wide - no biggie really.

Given that you have the Z06 wheels already, I would say just ordering the matching Z06 tires is your best bet. In today's world of 19", 20" and even larger diameter wheels, the 17 and 18 inch tires are relatively inexpensive by comparison. I have heard a bunch of members say good things about the firestone firehawk run flat tire which has a good price point, gives you run flat piece of mind, and have a pretty good ride in comparison to the Goodyears the car cam with from the factory.

The other good news is that there is no fitment difference between the C5 base car and Z06 versions. The fenders are the same width, the wheel diameters are the same, it's just that 1" extra in width that is different.

With the slightly wider Z06 tires your car will drive a bit better and look more planted...

Good luck

vetfever

Last edited by VETFEVER; 02-26-2016 at 08:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RoninC5 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 02:51 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

''VETFEVER'' read your reply and found it helpful . i've been looking at wheels for wifes 2000 c5 for days and have trouble sleeping it bothers me so much . one question if i may , with 18-19's i will need a lower profile tire to keep circumference the same [right?] . i'm not interested in aggressive driving only in a quiet and ''serene'' ride and don't know if the 18-19's make for more noise and harsh ride . i've seen rims i like but they are often not listed as coming in 17-18's just 18-19's and larger . if i find some i'm really interested in may i ''p m'' you for your thoughts as there are so many brands some have to be junk . hope this isn't a '' hi jack of thread '' , i feel any info will help ''o p'' as well . be nice as i will soon be 77 and being old and stupid simultaneously is a real handicap . . peace ....edit .. we've been driving each [ 2000+2004] about 200 miles a year last few years as all our peers are DEAD . i sometimes get up to 55 mph and wife drives them as she does her daily driver ... ''no speed limit applies to her or is high enough '' .

Last edited by bigcypress; 02-28-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:42 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bigcypress
''VETFEVER'' read your reply and found it helpful . i've been looking at wheels for wifes 2000 c5 for days and have trouble sleeping it bothers me so much . one question if i may , with 18-19's i will need a lower profile tire to keep circumference the same [right?] . i'm not interested in aggressive driving only in a quiet and ''serene'' ride and don't know if the 18-19's make for more noise and harsh ride . i've seen rims i like but they are often not listed as coming in 17-18's just 18-19's and larger . if i find some i'm really interested in may i ''p m'' you for your thoughts as there are so many brands some have to be junk . hope this isn't a '' hi jack of thread '' , i feel any info will help ''o p'' as well . be nice as i will soon be 77 and being old and stupid simultaneously is a real handicap . . peace ....edit .. we've been driving each [ 2000+2004] about 200 miles a year last few years as all our peers are DEAD . i sometimes get up to 55 mph and wife drives them as she does her daily driver ... ''no speed limit applies to her or is high enough '' .
Yes - if you move up to larger diameter wheels you compensate by using lower profile tires...

PM me anytime...

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running 02 Z06 Wheels on stock Vette?

Quick Reply: Anyone running 02 Z06 Wheels on stock Vette?