Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing tires because of their age?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Replacing tires because of their age?

Last edited by the kid C6; 03-31-2016 at 02:08 AM. Reason: lack of response
Old 04-02-2016, 10:19 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sorry it took so long for you to get any sort of reply but you did ask a valid question.

Many people here will say that if a tire is more than 5-6 years old, it may be a good idea to toss them. If there is visible cracking of the rubber between the tread or on the sidewall, that can indicate dry rot has caused that.

At that point, it certainly would not be a good idea (much less safe) to use the tires at anything such as freeway speeds or high speed use such as track days. The tire's plies could separate, causing the tire to come apart with no warning.

Sure, tires can be expensive to replace, but given the potential for a disaster, you do have to think about what can happen....
The following users liked this post:
the kid C6 (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 12:09 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

That's pretty much what the gentleman at the tire store explained.

I probably shouldn't have deleted my original post, but I found my own answers, so ...
I confess I was looking for a fast response, and my penalty was two days of research.

Btw, I bought Michelins.

Last edited by the kid C6; 04-02-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Scott0757
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace them

Many manufacturers recommend not installing tires over 5 yrs old, even if new stock. Much like a rubber band sitting in your desk drawer, the rubber ages and loses its stretch properties. splits and then snaps.
I recently replaced a set of "like new" Goodyears on a set of 1993 wheels that had date codes of 1002 (Week 10 of 2002). I had them on the car for a short period of time and the traction was terrible as the compound had hardened. When taking them to be changed in my truck bed, the easily slide in and out of the bed. New BF Goodrichs stick like glue, but my drive time has been very limited (update NY it's still winter). I could not slide them in the truck bed. Had to lift and drag them.
Techs said they have seen delaminated tires that looks new but were not. Many will not install tires on cars if more than 5 yrs old.

Not worth the risk to life and vehicle.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing tires because of their age?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing tires because of their age?