Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got The New Continental Extreme Contact Sports On My C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 11:09 AM
DubGA
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Got The New Continental Extreme Contact Sports On My C6

I just bought my 2008 C6 with Z51 package a couple of months ago with less than 15k miles. It still had the original Goodyear F1 Supercar tires. I was worried about them being stable after so much time, plus they were noisier than the all-terrain tires on my truck. I was also curious as to how much of the ride harshness on bumpy roads was due to the tires and how much was due to the Z51 suspension. When researching tires, I read a lot of good things about the old ExtremeContact DWs, with the only complaint being too much give in the sidewalls when cornering. But I found an article in AutoIQ reviewing the redesigned ExtremeContact Sport which said that Continental had improved the lateral stiffness by 80% while only increasing vertical stiffness by 6%. They rated them as being on par with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports which everyone seems to love for performance. So I bought a set.

I cannot believe the difference this has made in the comfort of my car. I'm in love all over again. The car still has the stock dual-mode exhaust, and on the highway, it's as quiet as any car I've owned. Which is surprising considering how close you sit to the road and the rear tires. The only noise I hear is a bit of wind roar above 70, as it's a convertible. And it rides so much smoother, even with the Z51 package. Straight line grip is better than the F1's, as it is much harder to break the tires loose now. I can't tell that it's any softer in cornering than the F1's, but it definitely tracks smoother when driving straight on roads that are a little rutted. It used to be a fight to keep it straight. I'm not an autocrosser, so I can't give a professional opinion as for handling, but there are no compromises that I can feel. But it was a HUGE gain in comfort.

Last edited by DubGA; 07-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:55 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,774 Likes on 4,221 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I'm looking to purchase these tires on new Z06 wheels for my '12 Grand Sport. How have they been holding up? Thanks!
Old 11-23-2017, 03:40 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I'm looking to purchase these tires on new Z06 wheels for my '12 Grand Sport. How have they been holding up? Thanks!
So far I'm still loving them. I've put about 6k miles on them so far, and they still look new. They are a summer tire and now that its cooling off, I can tell that they aren't as sticky. The car breaks them loose easier now on the really cool days. I'm in south GA so its not a big deal for me because we don't get much cold weather here. I'm planning to go to the next test-n-tune night on Dec 16 and see how they do at the drag strip. But for highway use, I love them. Smooth and quiet.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:43 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,774 Likes on 4,221 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by DubGA
So far I'm still loving them. I've put about 6k miles on them so far, and they still look new. They are a summer tire and now that its cooling off, I can tell that they aren't as sticky. The car breaks them loose easier now on the really cool days. I'm in south GA so its not a big deal for me because we don't get much cold weather here. I'm planning to go to the next test-n-tune night on Dec 16 and see how they do at the drag strip. But for highway use, I love them. Smooth and quiet.
Excellent. I went with 285/30/19 on the front & 335/25/20 for the rear. Should hopefully be here next week.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:08 PM
yarberrymt
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think those tires are some of the best value street tires you can buy, plus they have a great size range.

The softer sidewalls provide extra comfort at the cost of sharp turn-in, which is the only reason I decided to spend over 30% more on a set of MPSS's.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:21 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

I took the car to the drag strip for the first time this weekend. It was 60 degrees, I dropped the psi to about 22, turned off traction control, and cut a 1.885 60ft on the way to a 11.904 at 118.59 mph. I didn't feel any slip at all, though there may have been a little. That's pretty good grip for a street tire.

Yarberrymt, remember, these are a redesign that came out early this year. They claim to have improved lateral sidewall stiffness greatly over the old design that everyone said was a little mushy. I haven't personally had them on a road coarse yet to back that up, but the reviews I have read seem to agree.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:00 PM
yarberrymt
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DubGA
I took the car to the drag strip for the first time this weekend. It was 60 degrees, I dropped the psi to about 22, turned off traction control, and cut a 1.885 60ft on the way to a 11.904 at 118.59 mph. I didn't feel any slip at all, though there may have been a little. That's pretty good grip for a street tire.

Yarberrymt, remember, these are a redesign that came out early this year. They claim to have improved lateral sidewall stiffness greatly over the old design that everyone said was a little mushy. I haven't personally had them on a road coarse yet to back that up, but the reviews I have read seem to agree.

^Oh, had no idea they updated it. Nice! That was my only complaint (at least from my research).

That is def a good 60' for street tire

Get notified of new replies

To Got The New Continental Extreme Contact Sports On My C6

Quick Reply: Got The New Continental Extreme Contact Sports On My C6