Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe lug nut overtorque - Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 PM
dwe1007
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe lug nut overtorque - Advice please!

I have a 2012 GS with stock chrome rims from the factory. I took my vette in to a local shop that usually does really good work for the members of our club in order to have the brake fluid purged and replaced. Something I just didn't feel like doing.

I got the car back and after a few short trips decided to check my lug nut torque and found the shop had torqued them to well over 200 lb/ft each. Some were over 225! I had to buy a new torque wrench just to get them off there. I don't seem to have any warped rotors or stripped threads but my lug nuts are distorted and I am a bit concerned that the studs may have been stretched. I have broken them all loose and tightened them to 100 lb/ft - but am concerned about issues down the road.

Any opinions? (yes I am going to call the shop and chew their collective a$$es)
Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I'm not exactly sure why you felt the need to buy a "higher capacity" torque wrench to REMOVE the lugs, unless you simply wanted to know how grossly over-torqued your lugs were.

Nonetheless, first, I'd try to determine that both the taper of the lug holes on the wheels hasn't been screwed up, as well as the centers of the wheels themselves, weren't cracked by the excessive torque.

Then, I'd first trash the lug nuts, and replace them with new ones. I'd also be suspect of the lug studs but that, at least to me, presents a dilemma. They probably should be replaced, also, but the shock off knocking them out of the hubs, might not be good for the wheel bearings. Pressing them out would probably be preferable, but that would involve removing the hubs, which would be a PITA.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:42 PM
dwe1007
5th Gear

Default Torque wrench

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm not exactly sure why you felt the need to buy a "higher capacity" torque wrench to REMOVE the lugs, unless you simply wanted to know how grossly over-torqued your lugs were.

Nonetheless, first, I'd try to determine that both the taper of the lug holes on the wheels hasn't been screwed up, as well as the centers of the wheels themselves, weren't cracked by the excessive torque.

Then, I'd first trash the lug nuts, and replace them with new ones. I'd also be suspect of the lug studs but that, at least to me, presents a dilemma. They probably should be replaced, also, but the shock off knocking them out of the hubs, might not be good for the wheel bearings. Pressing them out would probably be preferable, but that would involve removing the hubs, which would be a PITA.

Good luck!
I broke my 150 ft/lb wrench while trying to get the lugs off. So I had to get another wrench regardless and went for a 250. Not much point in getting another 150 so that I could break another one. The wheels look okay - no cracks or deformation. I am buying new lugs. Bought a thread gauge and will inspect the studs this weekend. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 PM
dwe1007
5th Gear

I bought the new torque wrench because I broke my 150ft/lb wrench while trying to get the lug nuts off. Didn't see the point in buying another 150 - so I moved up to a 250 instead. So far the threads don't look too bad (just checking them with a thread gauge) and the wheels don't appear to be gouged or distorted in the lug taper bore area. No visible cracks on the wheels, either. I think I will just replace the nuts and call it good. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:47 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

You should consider a breaker bar for removing lug nuts in the future
Old 08-05-2017, 12:55 AM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah you should never use a torque wrench to loosen anything.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:25 PM
dwe1007
5th Gear

Originally Posted by TGO
Yeah you should never use a torque wrench to loosen anything.
Yeah - lession learned I guess. Just never had anybody do something so grossly out of spec before. I mean - more than double!
Old 08-13-2017, 01:07 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sounds like the "tech" used an impact wrench to install the wheels. Some techs will use "torque sticks" for wheel mounting, but I think the impact wrench has to be calibrated to use them properly. And some of the impact wrenches that come off the tool trucks can easily exceed the tightening specs for lug nuts.

I sometimes use my air impact wrench to just snug up the lug nuts just to save time but I set the tool on the lowest possible setting and still run the wrench very slowly. Then with the car back on the ground, I go to my torque wrench and tighten the lugs in two steps (70 ft-lbs and then 95 ft-lbs).
Old 09-03-2017, 04:04 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

dont confuse the torque needed to break loose the nut with the torque it was tightened to. no way a 12mm stud will survive 225 lbft tightening torque.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:28 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,248 Likes on 914 Posts

Torque wrenches are used solely for tightening fasteners, not to remove them. Use a breaker bar and or a cheater bar to break looks difficult fasteners. That is the first thing they teach you in aircraft maintenance school.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Torque wrenches are used solely for tightening fasteners, not to remove them. Use a breaker bar and or a cheater bar to break looks difficult fasteners. That is the first thing they teach you in aircraft maintenance school.
The other thing they taught us was if you use a torque wrench to remove something(especially that tight), re-calibrate the torque wrench immediately.

Get notified of new replies

To Severe lug nut overtorque - Advice please!

Quick Reply: Severe lug nut overtorque - Advice please!