Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched my wheels during tire install!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 09:55 AM
hotdog2020
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Scratched my wheels during tire install!

Long and Short of it. I have a 2016 C7 Z51 with the OEM Michelin Pilot SS - summer run flats and wanted to switch them out for something I can run in colder weather and the light snow if I were to get stuck out in it. I called Tirerack 1st and they were extremely helpful as always. Living in St. Louis, they didn't think I needed a winter tire set up (wheels & tires). All seasons would suffice. They suggested the Michelin A/S 3Plus. They didn't have the wheels though. I went to my tire store and discussed it with him. I explained how I was concerned about my wheels being damaged, hence winter wheel set up). You know where this is going. I was on the fence. Even stated that I may just but a Chevy Cruse to get me through the 2 months of bad weather and use it as a 3rd car. Anyway, he assured me everything would be fine. He wanted the sale and had the tires. I went for it. I came back to pick up the car, 3 out of four maybe even all four tires where scratched. The clearcoat in some areas kind of popped exposing the bare metal. The wheels are the flat surface machine aluminum with the black inside type. They're OEM. They're not all chrome, or gray cast but not all black. I went back and discussed it with my tire guy. He said they'll repair them. Here's my conundrum. The wheel repair company they use say they'll take them all off the car, ship them to Kansas City, strip them down, repair the wheel and clearcoat them. I'm scarred as hell. I have heard that any wheel guy worth his salt can do amazing repair on wheels. I just don't know... Has anyone had any experience on this or can anyone offer any ideas. I may just leave it all alone and use these as my new winter tire and buy a different set of wheels but that will be costly. Cheaper than a new Cruse I guess. I would like to use the summer run flats all 3 seasons. Thanks for any advice or thoughts n advance.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:23 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Not that I think this will happen to you but here is what happened to me with a similar situation.
I dropped off my wheels with the new tires to be installed. the tire shop use the wrong machine on my wheels and luckily admitted it after I showed them the damage to all four wheels.
I, being the nice guy, didn't want to stick it to this little shop by having them have to buy four new wheels so I agreed to let them have a local shop repair them. It was three weeks of back-and-forth with them doing one bad job after another of repairing it. At first they didn't even pull the tires off the wheels to paint them. In hindsight I should've just had them replace the wheels with factory wheels. That's what they have insurance for. I'm not suggesting that you do this but if I were in the same situation again that's what I would do.

Quick Reply: Scratched my wheels during tire install!